• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The QB situation...

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also to the points I just made Kap is the future IMO. Even though this is year 2 for him scheme wise this is still year 1. I think next year we will see a giant step in his development and if we don't win the SB in the next 2 years Smith is gone.

I disagree, there was a big difference between Kaep in last year's preseason to what little bit we saw of him throwing the ball this preseason. He might have missed out on the minicamps and stuff, but he still had a training camp and an entire year of coaching, practice, and meetings. We shouldn't try to say last season was lost, because it wasn't he grew a lot. He even looked pretty decent by the Tampa game, he almost had a TD drive when Morgan broke his ankle.

clyde_carbon
If he's not ready to hand the ball of to Gore and throw 5 and 6 yard passes when asked to by now then we should not even bother to develop him.

I think when people say Kaep isn't ready, they don't mean passing... they mean his ability to shout kill kill kill or let it roll. I have no idea how far Kaep has progressed in his pre-snap reads, but I think Alex only has the starting job locked up because there is still a big gap there. Now, I'm not saying Kaep can't do this at all, I just don't think he is as good at that as Alex is right now. Which is of course expected considering the years of experience that Alex has over Colin. I expect Kaepernick will close that gap tremendously by next training camp.

On that note, I think that if Alex got hurt, Kaep knows enough to decide to keep the run or switch to the pass, and vice versa. I just think Kaep might not be able to recognize a weakness and attack it the way Alex did in the Lions game, where he was all kill kill kill TD lob to VD. And that isn't a knock on Kaep, he just hasn't been in the NFL 7 or 8 years, whatever it is for Smith.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow after one game really? All kap proved yesterday is that he is deadly with his legs. Dont you think once he starts teams will have more film on him and better prpepared for him? Im not saying smith is lighting the world on fire or kap cant throw at all. But geeze we are not starting kapernick until smith starts playing like garbage and kap earns his time. Right now its still smith job and will be all year i believe. Bringing in kap like we did yesterday is a great plan and will be used more often i believe.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow is too dynamic of a player to not play.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tebow is too dynamic of a player to not play.

fryblanklook.jpg

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all want a better QB, but its not easy to obtain one. whether the draft or free agency, we'll have to give up a lot. doesn't look like Kap is the answer either, he has yet to show much as a pocket passer? the NFL demands a quality pocket passer, if you can run TOO great. but you have to be a good pocket passer first.

Harbaugh's style is more balance and no turnovers, so Alex Smith isn't far off. thats why Harbaugh went aftr Alex in the first place, despite all the negativity at the time.

I agree, and Im not writing Alex off. I just dont think more time will improve his timing on hitting receivers deep not named vernon davis.

Geraint, instead of being feminine with your response, why dont you add to the discussion. Im just stating my opinion from what i have seen live along with others who actually attend games. Alex is my starter in a $600.00 fantasy league, so i think i have faith and hope for him to improve.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A moment I felt made a lack-of-faith-in-Smith statement happened when we didn't use our last time-out to give Smith an end-zone shot before the half.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A moment I felt made a lack-of-faith-in-Smith statement happened when we didn't use our last time-out to give Smith an end-zone shot before the half.

yea, I didnt get that at all...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's not ready to hand the ball of to Gore and throw 5 and 6 yard passes when asked to by now then we should not even bother to develop him.

young qb's make mistakes and he was raw coming out of college...

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might not have anybody on the bench better than Alex but when will the conclusion be made that Alex simply can not throw the deep ball accurately? Romo doesnt have a problem hitting ogletree, manning hitting barden, tannehill hitting hartline to break a miami record! How much timing do they have with these non starting receivers? When Alex over throws crabtree and manningham next year, will it still be a timing issue?

As long as Alex is the QB this offense will never reach its potential. Jim has raised his self esteem to a certain degree but he seems to play it safe so he never gets booed again?

Good game from Romo. Such a strong arm :wave:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
young qb's make mistakes and he was raw coming out of college...

You're right. He's going to make more mistakes than Alex. He's also gonna make more plays, and he's gonna give our receivers more opportunities to make more plays.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. He's going to make more mistakes than Alex. He's also gonna make more plays, and he's gonna give our receivers more opportunities to make more plays.

or he's gonna crash and burn...

we really don't know. let him develop slowly, considering how raw he was coming out a 5 year learning plan wouldn't be a bad idea.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we really don't know. let him develop slowly, considering how raw he was coming out a 5 year learning plan wouldn't be a bad idea.

Don't know if the team can wait 5 years next season should be telling if Kap can be a starter in this league or not.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or he's gonna set the league ablaze. See? I can use hypotheticals too.

You can only develop so much on the bench.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I enjoy reading you two go back and forth on this subject. any minute now he'll reply to you and say that's not likely tho. But seriously whoever said let him develop for 5 years C'mon now really??

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, there was a big difference between Kaep in last year's preseason to what little bit we saw of him throwing the ball this preseason. He might have missed out on the minicamps and stuff, but he still had a training camp and an entire year of coaching, practice, and meetings. We shouldn't try to say last season was lost, because it wasn't he grew a lot. He even looked pretty decent by the Tampa game, he almost had a TD drive when Morgan broke his ankle.

But he was a rookie with no mini camp or OTAs. Training Camp I'm sure was a wash since the focus was to get Alex and the starters ready for the season. True he went to meetings but he didn't get many reps in practice.

I believe the development we have seen this year is because of the personal coaching he got this year in OTAs and mini camp

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well i'd rather bring him along slowly. it's about winning games not kicking smith to the curb just because u don't like him.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i'd rather bring him along slowly. it's about winning games not kicking smith to the curb just because u don't like him.

I'm not saying he should replace Alex next week. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just refuting the notions that he's clearly not ready and he most likely not the answer.

Honestly - I didn't think he was THAT much rawer than guys like Cam Newton, Jake Locker, and Andy Dalton - and they've all made an impact for their team early.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm with Clyde on this one in that there is only so much you can learn from the bench.

With that said though I still think there is plenty CK can still learn from the bench this season and I'm more than content to see Alex starting with CK getting worked in like he did against the Jets.

Like I said before I fully expect CK to be heavily in the debate of starting in 2013 unless Smith pulls off an amazing season this year.