• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what Pronman says about Zeev Buium, the defenseman we just passed on:

Buium was one of the top-scoring defensemen in college as a draft-eligible and one of the best draft eligible defensemen I’ve ever seen at that level. He is an extremely intelligent puck-mover who can run a power play like a top NHL player. He makes high-end plays routinely and can break shifts open with his puckhandling and passes. Buium is a strong skater who can activate off the blue line and create off the rush. He has very good edge work and is proficient at making checkers miss. His defense is good enough at the amateur level, but he isn’t very physically imposing. He is smart and mobile and breaks up enough plays to go with his great offense to be a major positive at even strength. He has game breaking potential and looks like a potential star No. 1 defenseman in the NHL who will put up big numbers.

Sound like something we could use in Philly or not!? LOL

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. You just have to trust Briere and Jones on this one, because while acquiring the 3rd rounder looks great, we passed on a defenseman that Pronman says is a potential game-breaker, top pair, top power play defender. Pronman also said he was one of the best draft eligible defenseman that he's ever seen in college hockey. He gave the Wild an A+ grade on the pick.

Is that not something we really need in Philly!?! I'm fucking confused.
Bingo. And left side D is kinda weak too imo. Everyone says they need a C and they do, but LHD is almost equally as big of a need to me. Buium would’ve been perfect for that.

Chose a guy people talk about as a 2nd or 3rd line center instead of a guy people talk about as a potential #1 dman. Boiled down to that, it really seems like a ridiculous decision.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Buium was one of the top-scoring defensemen in college as a draft-eligible and one of the best draft eligible defensemen I’ve ever seen at that level. He is an extremely intelligent puck-mover who can run a power play like a top NHL player. He makes high-end plays routinely and can break shifts open with his puckhandling and passes. Buium is a strong skater who can activate off the blue line and create off the rush. He has very good edge work and is proficient at making checkers miss. His defense is good enough at the amateur level, but he isn’t very physically imposing. He is smart and mobile and breaks up enough plays to go with his great offense to be a major positive at even strength. He has game breaking potential and looks like a potential star No. 1 defenseman in the NHL who will put up big numbers.

So frustrating.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck me!! I'm just really confused. We swung for the fences with Michkov and seemingly hit a grand slam. Now, we seem to be content just attempting a bunt...Rofl Wtf is going on here!?!

Drafting for perceived need instead of the best player. That’s it.

Well built teams don’t do that.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting for perceived need instead of the best player. That’s it.

Well built teams don’t do that.
Am I wrong in thinking we're just trying to replace Scott Laughton with this pick!? I mean, that's really how it feels.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well then what the eff did Briere and Jones not take this guy for? That analysis sounds like Buium is the better of the two players. What in the hell are we going around players we really need? It is beyond me!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I wrong in thinking we're just trying to replace Scott Laughton with this pick!? I mean, that's really how it feels.
It is something definitely weird at this point after reading these analyses!! You are def not wrong.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comparable for Luchanko is Yanni Gourde. Nice player, but he's only put up more than 48 points once in the Nhl and he's 32 years old. I mean, it's Scott Laughton with slightly more offense. Gourde has arguably played with a lot more talent in his career though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And all due respect to Laughton, I want a hell of a lot more than Laughton with a 12th overall pick.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers must feel like Drysdale and York mean they are fine in terms of smaller, offensively oriented, top 4 dmen.

Drysdale better get it the hell together if he’s going to fill that role.

What a major disappointment that pick is. And Michkov probably helps them draft in the teens again next year. I really just don’t see how they put this thing all together. It’s depressing.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all due respect to Laughton, I want a hell of a lot more than Laughton with a 12th overall pick.
Yes. Laughton is a solid player all over the ice, but he quite simply doesn't produce enough offense to play in the top six on a great team. A team full of guys like him is going to be rough to play against, but they'll never score often enough to be competitive.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What gets me is after scoring a homer with Michkov, Briere and Jones can't seem to continue the momentum and take another big hit with Buium. It is almost like WTF CHUCK is back along with that idiot GM he had. Why can't the Flyers be comfortable in just hammering away and adding a host of good players when they present themselves? Again, it is beyond me.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers must feel like Drysdale and York mean they are fine in terms of smaller, offensively oriented, top 4 dmen.

Drysdale better get it the hell together if he’s going to fill that role.

What a major disappointment that pick is. And Michkov probably helps them draft in the teens again next year. I really just don’t see how they put this thing all together. It’s depressing.
Pronman's final mock draft had Montreal taking Buium 5th overall and we could've had him at 12.

I don't know what the fuck to say, quite frankly.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It almost appears that Hextall is walking around the building whispering in Brier's ear saying: "You had a great selection in Michkov. Now it's time to shoot yourself in the foot and take Luchanko"!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pronman's final mock draft had Montreal taking Buium 5th overall and we could've had him at 12.

I don't know what the fuck to say, quite frankly.
Not much else to say Maverick. Everything you have stated is spot on. I am exhausted!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we trade our 32nd and that Minnesota 3rd to Colorado for the 24th overall pick. Fucking do something here to get us excited.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like he was a combine freak too. Top 3-5 in most of the tests. Played on a bad team. One of the youngest guys in the draft. So maybe the flyers uncovered a gem? Only time will tell, but man I’m concerned about it sitting here today.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like he was a combine freak too. Top 3-5 in most of the tests. Played on a bad team. One of the youngest guys in the draft. So maybe the flyers uncovered a gem? Only time will tell, but man I’m concerned about it sitting here today.
Well, I'm assuming he'll go back to the OHL and we'll learn a lot more about him in his next season.