• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There it is. Zeev Buium (LHD) is available for us. Accord to Scott Wheeler at The Athletic, he's the 4th best player overall in the entire draft.

Whoops, that was from a few weeks ago. Idk how relevant it is now, but it's exciting to hear.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Minnesota wanted Buium more than we did and I assume we will take Helenius. We gained a 3rd round pick for picking 13th overall instead of 12th. Pretty sweet.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEF a Torts type of player. Has an excellent work ethic and is like a honey badger in tenacity. We shall see.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was definitely special to have Michael Buffer announce the pick in his own unique way. I don't know much about Luchanko, but here's the analysis by Corey Pronman:

Luchanko took significant steps forward this season into a legit NHL prospect. He is one of the better skaters in the draft. He has an explosive stride and when he winds up he’ll be able to get plenty of controlled entries in the NHL. He competes very hard at both ends of the ice and attacks the tough areas. He has skill and excels as a playmaker. Luchanko often creates chances for his teammates can do so on the move, in tight and off the edge. His finishing touch could use work as he didn’t convert on a lot of chances this season. As a smaller forward, whether his offense is special enough is a minor question but it lessened for me over the course of the season. He looks like a potential third line center or second line wing.

Everything sounds great, but that last sentence is a bit alarming. Idk why we didn't take Buium or even Helenius, quite frankly. I have to trust Briere and Jones on this one.

My point is that we really do not need a fucking 3rd line center or 2nd line winger. We need a 1st (or at least 2nd) line center or a top pair defenseman.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Feels like they’re going to regret not taking Buium to me. And then reached for Luchanko according to most mocks. Can’t say I love that sequence of events.

That being said, getting a 3rd to move down 1 pick is good value. And if Luchanko is where they were going anyway it’s particularly good value because they were probably super confident the Wild weren’t taking him.

And I love a guy with high compete and great skating. But sounds like skill level might be his weakness, which is kinda what the flyers need the most.

Guess we’ll see how it goes. Hope the scouts know what they’re doing.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Feels like they’re going to regret not taking Buium to me. And then reached for Luchanko according to most mocks. Can’t say I love that sequence of events.

That being said, getting a 3rd to move down 1 pick is good value. And if Luchanko is where they were going anyway it’s particularly good value because they were probably super confident the Wild weren’t taking him.

And I love a guy with high compete and great skating. But sounds like skill level might be his weakness, which is kinda what the flyers need the most.

Guess we’ll see how it goes. Hope the scouts know what they’re doing.
Agreed. You just have to trust Briere and Jones on this one, because while acquiring the 3rd rounder looks great, we passed on a defenseman that Pronman says is a potential game-breaker, top pair, top power play defender. Pronman also said he was one of the best draft eligible defenseman that he's ever seen in college hockey. He gave the Wild an A+ grade on the pick.

Is that not something we really need in Philly!?! I'm fucking confused.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious as to why the Flyers didn't stay at 12 and take Buium unless they have something going on in the Third Round. Sort of a head scratcher.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious as to why the Flyers didn't stay at 12 and take Buium unless they have something going on in the Third Round. Sort of a head scratcher.
Nah, that 3rd round pick from Minnesota is for next year if I'm not mistaken. It seems unlikely, but Luchanko must've been the top player remaining on their board.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad they took Luchanko instead of Helenius though. I don’t know why but everything I read about Helenius screamed ‘most boring player in the 1st round’ lol.

At least with Luchanko you’re getting some higher end skating.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see how this one plays out. Waiting to see what the Flyers do at 32.