• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see this every year with several players who reveal they played through an injury. While it is nice to see how tough these guys are, they sometimes hurt the team. If an injury is affecting your play, you have to get yourself better. Guys have minor injuries all the time and still play well. This one sounds like it was significant enough to sit.
He knew he was hurt and he knew his play was badly lacking yet when he finally got benched for a game because he was playing terrible him and his agent blew up the whole season. Definitely not what captains are supposed to do. Him and his agent literally blew up the whole season with that controversy and our losing streak in the last few weeks. I directly point my finger at our so called captain for us missing the playoffs.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knew he was hurt and he knew his play was badly lacking yet when he finally got benched for a game because he was playing terrible him and his agent blew up the whole season. Definitely not what captains are supposed to do. Him and his agent literally blew up the whole season with that controversy and our losing streak in the last few weeks. I directly point my finger at our so called captain for us missing the playoffs.

I'm shocked you'd blame the captain.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like a depth guy. Probably doesn't move the needle a lot, but I'm always happy when they're looking outside the box to try to make something happen. Doesn't cost them anything and if he tops out as an AHL-er, who cares. Even at a 1% chance of being a useful NHL-er, it's worth the low investment.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really love journalists going way out on a limb. (Sarcasm)

Only 1 Selke winner in the last 15 years has not won a Cup (assuming Florida closes this out). We can guess who.

Also, in the last 15 years, all Cup winners have had a #1 or #2 draft pick on the squad.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a depth guy. Probably doesn't move the needle a lot, but I'm always happy when they're looking outside the box to try to make something happen. Doesn't cost them anything and if he tops out as an AHL-er, who cares. Even at a 1% chance of being a useful NHL-er, it's worth the low investment.
This kid wont see the big squad. He will be a" big" bottom 6 player on the Phantoms. If he makes it up to our team ill be very surprised and mad because that would mean we had a ton of injuries.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We both know he's not the real captain and that Scott Laughton is the captain of this team.

He would've gotten my vote for sure. Probably didn't stick it on him because of the relatively higher chance of getting moved.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As reported in April, it does not appear that the trial will begin until after the 2024-25 NHL season is underway. TSN correspondent Rick Westhead reported Tuesday that, "because of court backlogs, it's doubtful the Hockey Canada trial will begin before late April 2025 at the earliest."

The Flyers open training camp in September and the regular season in October. An NHL regular season typically ends around mid-April. The possibility of Hart returning to the ice at any point next season is appearing more and more unlikely.

The goaltender is a restricted free agent this offseason. It's uncertain if the Flyers will need to extend Hart a qualifying offer this month to retain his rights as the legal process plays out in court. According to a source, the Flyers have not made a decision on that front as they wait for direction from the NHL.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As reported in April, it does not appear that the trial will begin until after the 2024-25 NHL season is underway. TSN correspondent Rick Westhead reported Tuesday that, "because of court backlogs, it's doubtful the Hockey Canada trial will begin before late April 2025 at the earliest."

The Flyers open training camp in September and the regular season in October. An NHL regular season typically ends around mid-April. The possibility of Hart returning to the ice at any point next season is appearing more and more unlikely.

The goaltender is a restricted free agent this offseason. It's uncertain if the Flyers will need to extend Hart a qualifying offer this month to retain his rights as the legal process plays out in court. According to a source, the Flyers have not made a decision on that front as they wait for direction from the NHL.
Not surprised to see the trial get pushed back. There is probably a decent chance it doesn't happen until October 2025. A qualifying offer would have to be $4,479,000 and made by June , 2024. I would think the NHL has to make some kind of decision soon. I don't think the Flyers would qualify him as he will be out of professional hockey for at least 1 year.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised to see the trial get pushed back. There is probably a decent chance it doesn't happen until October 2025. A qualifying offer would have to be $4,479,000 and made by June , 2024. I would think the NHL has to make some kind of decision soon. I don't think the Flyers would qualify him as he will be out of professional hockey for at least 1 year.
I never realized there was so much crime in Canada that there is such a back log of cases.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is the key to me. For better or worse the Flyers are stuck with him for a little bit. Best to just root for him to return to what he used to be, or at least something close to it, and go from there. If he doesn't, the Flyers are kinda screwed with his contract but after a few years maybe it's cheaper to dump him on someone. But if he does bounce back, then you either have a good player or a valuable asset.

Nothing to do but wait and hope he bounces back.
I believe in the guy, without question, but it's clear he's been dealt an extremely shitty hand over the last few seasons. Before 2021, he was rock solid for us in his first 9-10 seasons. That is the norm. If he can get to 100% and not have another bad injury, I think he will lead us into the playoffs next season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? Veteran guy to fill a slot and make the youngsters compete is all fine and dandy. But Johnson sucks. It was a shit trade, don’t follow it up with a shit signing. If Zamula, Ginning, et al can’t beat Erik Johnson out for a spot, don’t resign them either because they also suck. If you're going to sign a guy as competition for the young guys, sign a guy that is actually worthy competition.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya, my guess is the NHL doesn't give any break to the teams here and they'll all be forced to make their own decisions on whether to qualify or not. I think the NHL execs are mostly cowards and the easiest thing for them to do is punt the decision to the teams. They want to risk the public backlash, go for it.

I agree though, I don't expect the teams will risk it though and will probably just not qualify these guys and let them become free agents.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, my guess is the NHL doesn't give any break to the teams here and they'll all be forced to make their own decisions on whether to qualify or not. I think the NHL execs are mostly cowards and the easiest thing for them to do is punt the decision to the teams. They want to risk the public backlash, go for it.

I agree though, I don't expect the teams will risk it though and will probably just not qualify these guys and let them become free agents.

Then in 2027 there will be some feel good reclamation project named Carter Hart who did his time and probably contributes heavily to a charity, went to rehab or something. Then he'll help the Devils bounce the first promising Flyers team in a decade by shutting them out in 3 of 5 games in round 1. The fans will turn on Michkov because he didn't have enough hits to be a "real Flyer". So clearly he didn't care. GM John Tortorella blows it up as a result. In 2028 they'll draft #12 overall because they want to hang on to enough vets to establish a culture and TK's 9M contract for 6 more seasons is now immovable because he's a 31 year old 45pt player. Michkov wins the Conn Smythe, leading the Blackhwaks to a cup in 2029.

Last edited: