• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Pats penalty for deflategate.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just ran across this and seems harsh but wow if so:

Report: Tom Brady could be suspended for up to one year - CBSSports.com

Report: Tom Brady could be suspended for up to one year

Tom Brady's offseason might extend until 2016 if the NFL decides to drop the proverbial hammer on the Patriots quarterback and at least one report is indicating that the league could slam the hammer down hard.

According to the Miami Herald, Brady could be suspended for up to one year thanks to the part he played in Deflategate.

"Everything is being studied. Everything is being considered," an NFL source told the Herald.

Now, that doesn't mean that Brady will be suspended for the year, but it does mean that the NFL is at least considering it. Brady's punishment could end up being a shorter suspension, but the source told the Herald not to dismiss the possibility of a year-long suspension.

The Patriots quarterback, along with locker attendant Jim McNally and equipment assistant John Jastremski are the three people most likely to be disciplined, according to ESPN.com.

The 243-page Wells report found that Brady was "at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls."

The report also found that "McNally (the Officials Locker Room attendant for the Patriots) and John Jastremski (an equipment assistant for the Patriots) participated in a deliberate effort to release air from Patriots game balls after the balls were examined by the referee."

In the report, Wells also noted that Brady refused to turn over his cell phone and other personal information for investigative purposes.

Brady's refusal to help the investigation could end up being one of the big reasons he's hit with a potentially big suspension.

In the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules, the league notes that "Failure to cooperate in an investigation shall be considered conduct detrimental to the League and will subject the offending club and responsible individual(s) to appropriate discipline."

Brady's decision to not fully cooperate in the investigation was duly noted in the Wells report.

"Brady's refusal to provide us with his own emails, text messages and phone records on relevant topics, in response to our narrowly tailored requests, limited the evidence available for our review and analysis," the report said.

Whatever Brady's punishment ends up being, it will likely be handed down sometime in the near future.

In a statement after the Wells report was released on Wednesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league "will consider what steps to take in light of the report, both with respect to possible disciplinary action and to any changes in protocols that are necessary to avoid future incidents of this type."

According to ESPN, the NFL will respond to the Wells report in a matter of days, as opposed to a matter of weeks.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well ,will all 3 get some susp and the pats lose draft picks ?

after what they did to the browns , falcons and saints to name a few . i can see it happening . then goodal will just have to party somewhere else . nfl is in a major pickle . we will find out soon what integrity means to the nfl . if it is viewed to easy and the out cry as with ray rice thing it may hurt a little .

in other words nfl is screwed and can only blame themselves .

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just ran across this and seems harsh but wow if so:

Report: Tom Brady could be suspended for up to one year - CBSSports.com

Report: Tom Brady could be suspended for up to one year

Tom Brady's offseason might extend until 2016 if the NFL decides to drop the proverbial hammer on the Patriots quarterback and at least one report is indicating that the league could slam the hammer down hard.

According to the Miami Herald, Brady could be suspended for up to one year thanks to the part he played in Deflategate.

"Everything is being studied. Everything is being considered," an NFL source told the Herald.

Now, that doesn't mean that Brady will be suspended for the year, but it does mean that the NFL is at least considering it. Brady's punishment could end up being a shorter suspension, but the source told the Herald not to dismiss the possibility of a year-long suspension.

The Patriots quarterback, along with locker attendant Jim McNally and equipment assistant John Jastremski are the three people most likely to be disciplined, according to ESPN.com.

The 243-page Wells report found that Brady was "at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls."

The report also found that "McNally (the Officials Locker Room attendant for the Patriots) and John Jastremski (an equipment assistant for the Patriots) participated in a deliberate effort to release air from Patriots game balls after the balls were examined by the referee."

In the report, Wells also noted that Brady refused to turn over his cell phone and other personal information for investigative purposes.

Brady's refusal to help the investigation could end up being one of the big reasons he's hit with a potentially big suspension.

In the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules, the league notes that "Failure to cooperate in an investigation shall be considered conduct detrimental to the League and will subject the offending club and responsible individual(s) to appropriate discipline."

Brady's decision to not fully cooperate in the investigation was duly noted in the Wells report.

"Brady's refusal to provide us with his own emails, text messages and phone records on relevant topics, in response to our narrowly tailored requests, limited the evidence available for our review and analysis," the report said.

Whatever Brady's punishment ends up being, it will likely be handed down sometime in the near future.

In a statement after the Wells report was released on Wednesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league "will consider what steps to take in light of the report, both with respect to possible disciplinary action and to any changes in protocols that are necessary to avoid future incidents of this type."

According to ESPN, the NFL will respond to the Wells report in a matter of days, as opposed to a matter of weeks.

Could, won't.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could, won't.
The point the article is making is the same one I've been saying since this story broke.

For the actual crime of intentionally playing with deflated balls, fine him 25k per ball (as per the rules).
For lying about it and obstructing the investigation a minimum of 4 game suspension and something to the team. Whether that something is a mid round draft pick or something else is up to the league.

There is nearly no chance Brady is playing against the Steelers IMO. And when it is announced that part about the lying and hindering an investigation will be a big part of his speech on it. I really don't see him sitting out less than two games, even after appeal.

When you get caught lying you pay the price.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point the article is making is the same one I've been saying since this story broke.

For the actual crime of intentionally playing with deflated balls, fine him 25k per ball (as per the rules).
For lying about it and obstructing the investigation a minimum of 4 game suspension and something to the team. Whether that something is a mid round draft pick or something else is up to the league.

There is nearly no chance Brady is playing against the Steelers IMO. And when it is announced that part about the lying and hindering an investigation will be a big part of his speech on it. I really don't see him sitting out less than two games, even after appeal.

When you get caught lying you pay the price.

Actually they haven't been caught at anything. The Well's report is simply stating there is a 50.1% v 49.9% it might have happened.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually they haven't been caught at anything. The Well's report is simply stating there is a 50.1% v 49.9% it might have happened.
I realize you may not understand legalese, but that is not what the report is saying at all.

They were asked if they could find enough evidence to say it was more likely than not that this event occurred before the AFCCG. That means there were one of 3 possible reponses: There is not enough to find it was more likely than not, there was enough to find it was more likely than not, or there isn't enough available information to conclude either way.

That was ALL they could reply. Lawyers don't put language in that is above that which they were requested to find and why would they?

I get that Pats fans want that language to mean there is a 51% chance, but that's not reality.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize you may not understand legalese, but that is not what the report is saying at all.

They were asked if they could find enough evidence to say it was more likely than not that this event occurred before the AFCCG. That means there were one of 3 possible reponses: There is not enough to find it was more likely than not, there was enough to find it was more likely than not, or there isn't enough available information to conclude either way.

That was ALL they could reply. Lawyers don't put language in that is above that which they were requested to find and why would they?

I get that Pats fans want that language to mean there is a 51% chance, but that's not reality.

It's exactly what that standard means. And yes I do happen to understand legalease.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Rice punches future wife in face. 2 games.

Tom Brady maybe maybe not had something to do with the psi of footballs. 6-8 games.

Seems level.
Owner texts the sideline during a game and gets 4 games. Team gets fined.
Team pipes in extra noise and loses a draft pick. Team gets fined.

Your fans can keep bringing up off the field issues as some sort of bar and it won't work. Knocking his wife out didn't have any impact on the game on the field. Likely neither did the texts or crowd noise and yet those levied penalties.

4 games is the minimum that should happen here.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat fans are die-hard to the end, no matter the circumstances. I guess I would be too if there was a chance my SB winning team could possibly face a disastrous season. I guess we'll see if BB is actually that good of a coach or if TB actually extended BB tenure.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your fans can keep bringing up off the field issues as some sort of bar and it won't work. Knocking his wife out didn't have any impact on the game on the field. Likely neither did the texts or crowd noise and yet those levied penalties.

The point was to show how the league is all over the place and inconsistent with it's penalties.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat fans are die-hard to the end, no matter the circumstances. I guess I would be too if there was a chance my SB winning team could possibly face a disastrous season. I guess we'll see if BB is actually that good of a coach or if TB actually extended BB tenure.

There is also a real possibility that if the suspension is heavy handed this could end up in court and take place beyond the upcoming season, regardless of what a court would find in the end.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is also a real possibility that if the suspension is heavy handed this could end up in court and take place beyond the upcoming season, regardless of what a court would find in the end.

That's possible. I just want this mess to go away so fans can talk football again.

If only the NFL would suspend Cutler...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Kraft these charges are bogus....

th

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course it is does.. That's the point.

I think anything more than 4 is excessive.

2 games would be more than severe and sufficient.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think anything more than 4 is excessive.
If you ask me what I think the league WILL do, it's probably a lot different than what I think they SHOULD do. But I could live with 4 and a fine. If both of those idiots are still on the teams payroll they should be sent packing. With or without their overseas bank account to keep them silent.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask me what I think the league WILL do, it's probably a lot different than what I think they SHOULD do. But I could live with 4 and a fine. If both of those idiots are still on the teams payroll they should be sent packing. With or without their overseas bank account to keep them silent.

2 games would be a pretty significant hit for the Patriots but I wouldn't at all be surprised with 4. I could see a fine and a lose of a draft pick because the buck still stops at Kraft and Belichick.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Rice punches future wife in face. 2 games.

Tom Brady maybe maybe not had something to do with the psi of footballs. 6-8 games.

Seems level.

who is ray rice playing for asshole ?ray rice didn't cheat the integrity of all football and then lie about it . the players union would be brady's only hope and we saw how well that worked for ap .