• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL The Patriots starting QB in week 1 of the 2018 season will be...

The Patriots starting QB in week 1 of the 2018 season will be...

• Tom Brady

• Jimmy Garoppolo

• Effing potato salad, but I'm putting eggs in it

Results are only viewable after voting.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from all the general assholery that always takes place in any Brady related thread at this point there is no reason to assume he won't be the starter in 2018. The Pats will tag Jimmy G next year or try to work out an amicable extension. If Brady is not the Pats starter it's because he was traded for a boat load of picks.

This seems easier said than done. Good chance the QB position for the FT price is above $22 million. Maybe even more if say Derek Carr gets his new deal and say one of the other FA QB's gets a big deal.

As for the extension he has been sitting on the bench for pretty much 4 years. Do you really think he wants to just keep sitting on the bench on a deal much less than what he could get from other teams? I'm guessing there is a team willing to pay him something like 4-years/$80 million with about half of it guaranteed. Are the Pats really willing to hand that type of money over to him at this point? More importantly how can they afford that cap wise with already paying Tom Brady? Pretty much the Pats would be handicapping themselves by so much wrapped up in the QB position and well that goes against what the Pats stand for.

And I'm sorry but players are more loyal to money than they are organization as players know the organization doesn't care about them beyond what they bring to the team. They have no problem cutting them so I can't see Jimmy G deciding he is willing to sit another couple of years just waiting for Brady to retire and give him his shot on a discounted contract compared to what he can get on the open market.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom's a great QB but Father Time is always the winner.
I think this will be his last season of being the starting QB.
"We are on to Jimmy G."

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems easier said than done. Good chance the QB position for the FT price is above $22 million. Maybe even more if say Derek Carr gets his new deal and say one of the other FA QB's gets a big deal.

As for the extension he has been sitting on the bench for pretty much 4 years. Do you really think he wants to just keep sitting on the bench on a deal much less than what he could get from other teams? I'm guessing there is a team willing to pay him something like 4-years/$80 million with about half of it guaranteed. Are the Pats really willing to hand that type of money over to him at this point? More importantly how can they afford that cap wise with already paying Tom Brady? Pretty much the Pats would be handicapping themselves by so much wrapped up in the QB position and well that goes against what the Pats stand for.

And I'm sorry but players are more loyal to money than they are organization as players know the organization doesn't care about them beyond what they bring to the team. They have no problem cutting them so I can't see Jimmy G deciding he is willing to sit another couple of years just waiting for Brady to retire and give him his shot on a discounted contract compared to what he can get on the open market.

Well, this is one man's opinion we will see.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We are on to Jimmy G."
I would be fine with this too, and I feel you are correct. They loaded up this year IMO to win another SB if that happens I think TB 12 is done and the rest of the league can relax just a little.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does it mean if the Pats franchise Jimmy G?

That seems to be the prevailing thought after this season

What exactly happens in that scenario?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We are on to Jimmy G."

My problem here Carnzo ma boy

Brady himself gives absolutely no indication of this.....In his words, his preperation, etc.....

Its seems their reluctance to trade Jimmy has everyone concluded what youre saying

To me, thats where the "Push him out the door", a la Montana, sounds like a real possibility

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does it mean if the Pats franchise Jimmy G?

That seems to be the prevailing thought after this season

What exactly happens in that scenario?

Well it would have to mean that they are telling Brady after the 2018 season they are moving on. They wouldn't keep spending all this money on Jimmy G. just to have him walk because that 2nd FT gets all the more expensive and you just can't keep paying 2 QB's top money and expect to be competitive.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem here Carnzo ma boy

Brady himself gives absolutely no indication of this.....In his words, his preperation, etc.....

Its seems their reluctance to trade Jimmy has everyone concluded what youre saying

To me, thats where the "Push him out the door", a la Montana, sounds like a real possibility
he wont be pushed. brady already knows hes gone. they may even have a destination already picked out for him behind closed doors.
he dictates this entire thing, but it does happen. I kid you not, this city will hold a tom brady parade too to send him off. it will be bigger than any parade this city has seen too.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well considering no NFL team has ever FT a back up QB before I would say my opinion is based in the history of the league. Teams know they can't be competitive while paying 2 QB's big money. Yes Brady has taken discounts in the past for the team but you are looking at spending $45 million on the QB position alone for the Pats.

And again please tell me a QB that took a discounted contract just to stay on as a back up QB compared to getting his opportunity to start and make big money. It hasn't happened. So again this isn't just an opinion but this is based in the history of the game and just knowing human nature.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wont be pushed. brady already knows hes gone. they may even have a destination already picked out for him behind closed doors.
he dictates this entire thing, but it does happen. I kid you not, this city will hold a tom brady parade too to send him off. it will be bigger than any parade this city has seen too.

Oh I believe it, the gayness in that city is strong my friend

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from all the general assholery that always takes place in any Brady related thread at this point there is no reason to assume he won't be the starter in 2018. The Pats will tag Jimmy G next year or try to work out an amicable extension. If Brady is not the Pats starter it's because he was traded for a boat load of picks.

As you see I provided multiple options. And TB has on more than one occasion signed team friendly contracts no reason think he might not if he felt Jimmy were the heir apparent and wanted one more year with the team, thus providing more cap space.

Well considering no NFL team has ever FT a back up QB before I would say my opinion is based in the history of the league. Teams know they can't be competitive while paying 2 QB's big money. Yes Brady has taken discounts in the past for the team but you are looking at spending $45 million on the QB position alone for the Pats.

And again please tell me a QB that took a discounted contract just to stay on as a back up QB compared to getting his opportunity to start and make big money. It hasn't happened. So again this isn't just an opinion but this is based in the history of the game and just knowing human nature.

Again TB has done this before he knows his age and will do what's best for him, if he thinks taking a cap friendly deal for more year to win another SB is an option he may do it. It's more about Brady making a decision than it is Jimmy.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I believe it, the gayness in that city is strong my friend
dude, we had a parade for the sox that LOST in 1986...and a parade for ray bourque winning a cup in COLORADO.
this city has some gay in it.

PS...off san jose in 3 weeks.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DirtDirtDirt

enjoy my friend

a shameful moment from my cities past:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you see I provided multiple options. And TB has on more than one occasion signed team friendly contracts no reason think he might not if he felt Jimmy were the heir apparent and wanted one more year with the team, thus providing more cap space.

Again TB has done this before he knows his age and will do what's best for him, if he thinks taking a cap friendly deal for more year to win another SB is an option he may do it. It's more about Brady making a decision than it is Jimmy.

You do understand though the Pats 1) Can only keep pushing that money down the road so far. Brady is taking a discount cap wise but is still getting paid good money. It is why his cap hits later in the contract are very high and why they keep having to re-do his deal to keep his cap number low by giving him more guaranteed money/signing bonus. That is why his dead cap hit is always so high.

2) Please take a look at his contract. He has 3-years left on his deal. He has $28 million in bonus money wrapped up in it already. You push that money further down by re-doing his deal you end up with the same situation of the QB position being ridiculous in price for say 2018 and 2019 hampering the team from doing much.

3) Even at say a discounted rate say he gets his cap number next year down to what he has this year of $14 million you are still looking at $37 million in the QB position. That would still blow away the rest of the NFL for spending at the position.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude, we had a parade for the sox that LOST in 1986...and a parade for ray bourque winning a cup in COLORADO.
this city has some gay in it.

PS...off san jose in 3 weeks.

That seems like a cool spot to chill

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do understand though the Pats 1) Can only keep pushing that money down the road so far. Brady is taking a discount cap wise but is still getting paid good money. It is why his cap hits later in the contract are very high and why they keep having to re-do his deal to keep his cap number low by giving him more guaranteed money/signing bonus. That is why his dead cap hit is always so high.

2) Please take a look at his contract. He has 3-years left on his deal. He has $28 million in bonus money wrapped up in it already. You push that money further down by re-doing his deal you end up with the same situation of the QB position being ridiculous in price for say 2018 and 2019 hampering the team from doing much.

3) Even at say a discounted rate say he gets his cap number next year down to what he has this year of $14 million you are still looking at $37 million in the QB position. That would still blow away the rest of the NFL for spending at the position.

Dont fuck with CD

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My issue is that your multiple options just do not make sense in the real world. They are more in fantasy land where you think every player just wants to play for the Pats for life and are willing to take these incredible discounts to play for them. That isn't the case in the real world on a regular basis. Yes some players every once in a while will do a nice discount but that isn't the norm.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was simply pointing out a scenario that is likely and again I stated early on the Pats may just trade TB for picks there are options on the table other than one must go.