• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the new HC sticky thread

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM officially putting my vote behind Franklin from Vanderbilt. I think he will come in hungry, and might bring the kind of culture change apparently needed in Ashburn at the moment.

No thanks! He failed miserably at MD as an assistant. I vote Roman or Gruden.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks! He failed miserably at MD as an assistant. I vote Roman or Gruden.

He has also done an awesome job at Vanderbilt as a head coach. If a prior failure meant a guy was doomed, the Patriots wouldnt have their current coach. Cause he flamed out big time with the Browns.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I look at it, the more Im hoping its Franklin. He turned around a totally abysmal Vanderbilt team in slightly over a year and a half and managed to do things that has never been done for that school. He is a big fan of mobile QB's (which in our case might help out with our current QB). And also having just come from the college ranks, maybe he will "connect" better with some of our younger players (which is apparently a worry around here). Now granted his hire would require a very strong DC, and likely a very solid OC as well. But I think he will be smart enough to bring in what he needs.

Now having said that, the only coaching candidate I will be totally upset with is a guy we have apparently not even considered yet.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this is the best choice ... we should have kept Mike

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]420333763823149058[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I look at it, the more Im hoping its Franklin. He turned around a totally abysmal Vanderbilt team in slightly over a year and a half and managed to do things that has never been done for that school. He is a big fan of mobile QB's (which in our case might help out with our current QB). And also having just come from the college ranks, maybe he will "connect" better with some of our younger players (which is apparently a worry around here). Now granted his hire would require a very strong DC, and likely a very solid OC as well. But I think he will be smart enough to bring in what he needs.

Now having said that, the only coaching candidate I will be totally upset with is a guy we have apparently not even considered yet.

Not hip on hiring a college coach with the state of the franchise right now. I remember Franklin very well at MD and while he did not do very well, turning around a Vandy program doesn't qualify him for one of the most high profile jobs in the NFL. When I say high profile, I mean a job that has its radar on you every day. In all honesty, I'm hoping Gruden or Roman get the job or they can even bring back Norv with the right DC. Lol, I know that will never happen...

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not hip on hiring a college coach with the state of the franchise right now. I remember Franklin very well at MD and while he did not do very well, turning around a Vandy program doesn't qualify him for one of the most high profile jobs in the NFL. When I say high profile, I mean a job that has its radar on you every day. In all honesty, I'm hoping Gruden or Roman get the job or they can even bring back Norv with the right DC. Lol, I know that will never happen...

Dude, I think we just need to go in a different direction. We have tried the hot name coach, and it has failed miserably. And I think turning around an abysmal Vandy program does qualify him for coming to DC. Gruden and Roman are the hot ticket names right now. Those are exactly what we need to stay away from in my book. Im not too hip on hiring some one elses OC or DC and expecting results to be any different than the last four coaches we have hired. And to be honest, I think a guy like Franklin is exactly what this team needs. Much more than just hiring a guy because he was the next hot OC or DC currently on the list.

Tdog21Skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about Franklin from Vanderbilt, I am happy that we are looking at both of the 49ers coordinators Greg Roman and Vic Fangio

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I think we just need to go in a different direction. We have tried the hot name coach, and it has failed miserably. And I think turning around an abysmal Vandy program does qualify him for coming to DC. Gruden and Roman are the hot ticket names right now. Those are exactly what we need to stay away from in my book. Im not too hip on hiring some one elses OC or DC and expecting results to be any different than the last four coaches we have hired. And to be honest, I think a guy like Franklin is exactly what this team needs. Much more than just hiring a guy because he was the next hot OC or DC currently on the list.

Look Shark, I agree with you about the "hot name" coach however, I hardly equate Jay Gruden or Greg Roman as "hot name" coaches. Maybe if you said John Gruden, Bill Cowher or someone of the like then I would also say heck no as well. I prefer to have a guy with NFL experience under his belt and a guy like Roman who has been with a winning team the past few years. I truly believe that after next season and a full draft, both Roman, Jay Gruden and even Bevelle can get this thing turned around. It doesn't take 5 years like Shanny sold to everyone to have an impact and get things turned around imo.

Having said that I respectfully disagree and, I would be terribly disappointed if we hire Franklin or any other college coach for that matter to take over.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about Franklin from Vanderbilt, I am happy that we are looking at both of the 49ers coordinators Greg Roman and Vic Fangio

Know that he walked into a program that had a combined 11-26 record the three years before he got there and took them to a combined 24-15 record and three bowl games since he has been there. total turn around for Vandy since he has been there. Kind of what we need in DC wouldnt you say??

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'be happy with franklin ,jay gruden. Mcdermomt , greg roman, any 1 of these are solid

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Vanderbilt even a legit program? I mean Harvard might have a coach with an awesome record, but I wouldn't want him as coach of the redskins either due to poor competition...

Disclaimer: I don't follow college football at all.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Vanderbilt even a legit program? I mean Harvard might have a coach with an awesome record, but I wouldn't want him as coach of the redskins either due to poor competition...

Was Baylor a legit program five years ago??

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vanderbuilt is in the SEC considered the best league in college the past 10 years. Seven NC's in a row. Vandy was the smart kid school (great academics) that always got beat on by the REAL football schools.

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanderbuilt is in the SEC considered the best league in college the past 10 years. Seven NC's in a row. Vandy was the smart kid school (great academics) that always got beat on by the REAL football schools.

What about what stoops said about the SEC? That it is currently made up of three good programs and a bunch of,garbage? That some team that just transferred into the SEC clearly didn't have any trouble doing well in that conference?

Franklin may be a great coach, though his record at Maryland doesn't suggest so. But he may be totally overmatched as well. Why would the redskins take that chance?

As mentioned, I don't follow college football. But I knew enough to know that there was something supposedly superduper about chip Kelly and his warp speed offense at Oregon. That he had figured SOMETHING out that might add a wrinkle or two to the pro game.

What has Franklin done that is so special? Turn around a moribund program into a respectable one?! So?! Aren't there something like 35 BOWL games?!?!

Doesn't seem like enough to me...

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea (note my disclaimer).:suds:

I will answer for you. Baylor was considered a tune up game for real programs before Art Briles got there. Now all of a sudden Baylor is considered a power house in their conference even without his holiness RG3 on the roster.

that being said Briles as our couch would be a huge mistake for previously stated reasons.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Briles come here purely from a football standpoint. However, that would likely create headaches off field and it doesnt look very likely to happen at this point.

Other than that, Im ok with most of the coaches we've interviewed in that there's nobody I will be upset with. At this point Im in a wait and see mode where I wont be excited with any hire either. I have doubts about everyone we've interviewed but Im sure some of them would be quality options.

The only thing I'd be upset with is a Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher big name hire.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will answer for you. Baylor was considered a tune up game for real programs before Art Briles got there. Now all of a sudden Baylor is considered a power house in their conference even without his holiness RG3 on the roster.

that being said Briles as our couch would be a huge mistake for previously stated reasons.

more swipes at RG3 ? i thought you wanted him to do well here

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Briles come here purely from a football standpoint. However, that would likely create headaches off field and it doesnt look very likely to happen at this point.

Other than that, Im ok with most of the coaches we've interviewed in that there's nobody I will be upset with. At this point Im in a wait and see mode where I wont be excited with any hire either. I have doubts about everyone we've interviewed but Im sure some of them would be quality options.

The only thing I'd be upset with is a Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher big name hire.

from a football standpoint i wouldnt want briles either . too old (57) to start handling spoiled adults with money

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more swipes at RG3 ? i thought you wanted him to do well here

It was a mild swipe Skinsdad. Just a mild one.

And i do want him to do well. Im just not for putting him on a pedestal at the moment. If he does well the team does well. And Im a fan of the team, not an individual player.