• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the middle ground on Dez

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from a Broaddus article talking about new contracts for Dez and Smith

While Bryant and his camp have to believe that he is surely on par with Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, the Cowboys might believe that he falls somewhere between those top two and Mike Wallace at $12 million per season. When you look at the top tackles in the league, there is only a $1.5 million difference between Joe Thomas and Trent Williams ($11.5 to $10), who is ranked fourth. On top of that, at 23, Smith is a full two years younger than Bryant, making it more appealing to lock him up, as he potentially has a very long career in front of him.

Safe to say somewhere between 12-17.5 million for Dez ..... Looking more like a 15 million per year to keep guy than a 12 million

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from a Broaddus article talking about new contracts for Dez and Smith

While Bryant and his camp have to believe that he is surely on par with Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, the Cowboys might believe that he falls somewhere between those top two and Mike Wallace at $12 million per season. When you look at the top tackles in the league, there is only a $1.5 million difference between Joe Thomas and Trent Williams ($11.5 to $10), who is ranked fourth. On top of that, at 23, Smith is a full two years younger than Bryant, making it more appealing to lock him up, as he potentially has a very long career in front of him.

Safe to say somewhere between 12-17.5 million for Dez ..... Looking more like a 15 million per year to keep guy than a 12 million

Maybe they can sweeten the deal with more money, and get more safeguards like the Kaep contract with Dez.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they can sweeten the deal with more money, and get more safeguards like the Kaep contract with Dez.

we will find a way to sign him that I don't doubt. But doing it is going to keep us a mediocre team in cap hell for a few years to come.

Everyone seems to be hoping for a healthy and productive Melton .... Well if he is and we keep him .... He will cost us 9 million next year.

cap this year is 133 million .... most are expecting about a 10 million increase ... but that's counting chickens before they hatch in my eyes

Our cap next year... without redoing Smith ( we have his option)
and without keeping Melton
and without resigning Dez
is already ..... 130+ million for 2015. Thats also with us YET to sign Martin or Lawrence.
If we were to keep Melton it would be at 139 million for next season.
and say you got Dez cheap .... just at 10 million a year (which isn't happening) cap would be 149 million.
This is also without resigning Murray.

The only player we say any real money on cutting ... would be Free .... He would save us 7 million. but that still doesn't create enough space.
So its back to restructuring and fucking up the future even longer

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to be hoping for a healthy and productive Melton .... Well if he is and we keep him .... He will cost us 9 million next year.

I think this is a good point that many aren't looking closeley enough at. If Melton plays poorly he is gone. If Melton plays "OK" he should be gone. If he plays very good it will be a tough decision because he needs to play to the value of that contract to keep him. Maybe the ideal situation is he plays well enough to help our D be good this year, but enough of the marginal/younger guys step up and we draft a couple more DL next year and let him go anyway. I still love the contract, but I think he needs to do more than just be healthy to earn it. I think we are playing Crawford in that spot some on purpose. If Crawford excels when played at the 3 tech then even if Melton plays great you can make an argument we should let him go and spend the cap $'s elsewhere.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe they can just let him walk.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will find a way to sign him that I don't doubt. But doing it is going to keep us a mediocre team in cap hell for a few years to come.

cap this year is 133 million .... most are expecting about a 10 million increase ... but that's counting chickens before they hatch in my eyes

Our cap next year... without redoing Smith ( we have his option)
and without keeping Melton
and without resigning Dez
is already ..... 130+ million for 2015. Thats also with us YET to sign Martin or Lawrence.
If we were to keep Melton it would be at 139 million for next season.
and say you got Dez cheap .... just at 10 million a year (which isn't happening) cap would be 149 million.
This is also without resigning Murray.

The only player we say any real money on cutting ... would be Free .... He would save us 7 million. but that still doesn't create enough space.
So its back to restructuring and fucking up the future even longer
To me, the decision to extend Romo made our bed on most of the other decisions. I'm not trying to debate whether it was the right move or the wrong one, just saying. Once we extended Romo, instead of trading him or franchising him(and yes, it could have been done), Jerry effectively said we are trying to win now vs going all in on a rebuild. The cap ramifications were pretty obvious, as were the results the last couple of years IMO. I don't think we are going to be a 4 win team, but I doubt we are a 10 win team either. We will continue on at 7-9 to 9-7 until Romo and Witten are gone, and then hope like Hell Jerry lucks into another elite QB

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once we extended Romo, instead of trading him or franchising him(and yes, it could have been done),

actually no we couldnt tag him. Romo was under contract and you cant tag a player who is under contract.

What had killed us ... and continues to kill us is/was all the restructuring.

We had had restructured Romo several times and pushed a ton of his money to the final year of his contract. We basically had two options extend him before the final year and reduce his cap number .... which we did, the restructured that final year to reduce his cap number ...... or we would have been in rebuild mode because we couldn't have even cut or traded him .... we didnt have the cap room. So you end up cutting several players just to be able to do it.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea all the restructure and such has hogtied the Cowboys I am not a cap guru but simple math says you have to finally pay up for all the credit you used eventually.

I wonder if Jerry will bite the bullet and do it when the wheels fall off when not if Romo goes down and we are just boofooed on the cap

The fuse is lit its just a matter of when the bomb goes off and we are back to the Campo years

I am cautiously optimistic until then.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a good point that many aren't looking closeley enough at. If Melton plays poorly he is gone. If Melton plays "OK" he should be gone. If he plays very good it will be a tough decision because he needs to play to the value of that contract to keep him. Maybe the ideal situation is he plays well enough to help our D be good this year, but enough of the marginal/younger guys step up and we draft a couple more DL next year and let him go anyway. I still love the contract, but I think he needs to do more than just be healthy to earn it. I think we are playing Crawford in that spot some on purpose. If Crawford excels when played at the 3 tech then even if Melton plays great you can make an argument we should let him go and spend the cap $'s elsewhere.

Well 9 million hit next year if we keep him - that would be the 3rd highest paid DT this season I believe so that means he would have to be on the verge of ALL Pro. I would say with all the other contracts we have to deal with, Melton is here for 1 yr. That is if Im reading everything right

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think IF Melton returns to form he stays in Dallas. Hopefully decisions are made on how players play and not future cap ramifications. It's a league with a cap and all teams need players out performing their contract....that's been the problem in Dallas. The restructure game is part of it for more teams than not, Jerry just ranks at the bottom on decisions made

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think IF Melton returns to form he stays in Dallas. Hopefully decisions are made on how players play and not future cap ramifications. It's a league with a cap and all teams need players out performing their contract....that's been the problem in Dallas. The restructure game is part of it for more teams than not, Jerry just ranks at the bottom on decisions made

Well if he returns to form he should be on the verge of All Pro . I could be wrong . I know we signed 3 DL in the off season. I tend to get them mixed up . McClain Mincey Melton

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it's doubtful he returns for a 2nd year in Dallas.
But for a different reason.

Cause barring playoff success..... I dont see the coaching staff returning for 2015. I dont mean getting to the playoffs either ..... I mean winning atleast one playoff game.

If Garrett is replaced it's unlikely a new coach will hold on the the coordinators. And since Melton is a Rod guy ... I wouldn't expect the new coach to commit to him. Not to the tune of 9 million.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it's doubtful he returns for a 2nd year in Dallas.
But for a different reason.

Cause barring playoff success..... I dont see the coaching staff returning for 2015. I dont mean getting to the playoffs either ..... I mean winning atleast one playoff game.

If Garrett is replaced it's unlikely a new coach will hold on the the coordinators. And since Melton is a Rod guy ... I wouldn't expect the new coach to commit to him. Not to the tune of 9 million.

Could be...I'll have to see the season unfold. I'm always optimistic this time of year....even with the Lee beatdown I can find the IF, IF and IF's for this team. It's about coverage, I understand rush many times goes hand and hand but the DB's hold the key if this unit can get to an 18-23 rank.

I don't see Red out with a playoff appearance but who really knows with jerry pulling the levers? I do think IF melton becomes what he was before the injury, any staff will welcome that production and he stays home. Him being a local kid will play into this as far as his regards to staying home.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is good but not worthy of a huge extension. Ware had a chronically bad neck, and Dez has a chronically bad back.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be...I'll have to see the season unfold. I'm always optimistic this time of year....even with the Lee beatdown I can find the IF, IF and IF's for this team. It's about coverage, I understand rush many times goes hand and hand but the DB's hold the key if this unit can get to an 18-23 rank.

I don't see Red out with a playoff appearance but who really knows with jerry pulling the levers? I do think IF melton becomes what he was before the injury, any staff will welcome that production and he stays home. Him being a local kid will play into this as far as his regards to staying home.

I think the only way we could afford to keep him would be to release him and sign him to a different contract.
The contract he is currently under is a 1 year deal with Dallas holding the option for 2 more years. Doesn't leave you with but one year to move money back on him ..... and then hell that third year he would be making Qb money

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is good but not worthy of a huge extension. Ware had a chronically bad neck, and Dez has a chronically bad back.

I dont see Dez's back as a major issue.

I only have 2 major problems with Dez.
The main one ( because I am so ready to fix this cap situation and stop being a .500 team that has little to no wiggle room in the offseason without fucking up the future even longer)
The contract he is going to get. And haven't even seen it yet. But even if you guess the low ball figure. That's too many on a .500 team making mega contracts.

2 he's immature. I saw nothing last year to make me think that will change. I keep hearing passion but nothing more disrespectful to the team, to the fans, or to the sport than to walk off the field on your team mates.

I could throw a 3rd one in there ... but it kinda goes with both those two. Is he going to be able to run more than a handful of routes this year? All that "passion" should maybe be focused on that.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Jerry will bite the bullet and do it when the wheels fall off when not if Romo goes down and we are just boofooed on the cap

I am cautiously optimistic until then.

you know where my optimism lies at this point ( as far as the cap goes)

What we have invested in the O-line.

When Romo goes ( personally I think 2015 is his final year in Dallas if we aren't a winning team)
I'm positive we will resign Dez and Smith both.
we have invested in Escobar and Williams ( who I thought was pretty damn good for a rookie last year)
The next kid that comes in to replace him ..... is gonna have the O-line and the weapons in place for him. To be pretty damn good from the start

Which to me seemsto be what Jerry is doing ........ However Jerry is Jerry .... I'd have as much chance of winning the lotto as of Jerry being that smart thinking into the future

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know where my optimism lies at this point ( as far as the cap goes)

What we have invested in the O-line.

When Romo goes ( personally I think 2015 is his final year in Dallas if we aren't a winning team)
I'm positive we will resign Dez and Smith both.
we have invested in Escobar and Williams ( who I thought was pretty damn good for a rookie last year)
The next kid that comes in to replace him ..... is gonna have the O-line and the weapons in place for him. To be pretty damn good from the start

Which to me seemsto be what Jerry is doing ........ However Jerry is Jerry .... I'd have as much chance of winning the lotto as of Jerry being that smart thinking into the future

You known the cap better than I do. Wouldn't the hit be too big to release him prior to the "16" season?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You known the cap better than I do. Wouldn't the hit be too big to release him prior to the "16" season?

nah we would save 7,873,000 after 2015 ..... which is more than enough to pay the best Qb coming out in that draft.

Actually my bad ..... we save that if we cut him after this season

his cap hit next year is 27.773 million and the dead money if we cut him is 19.9 million

His cap hit in 2016 is under 18 million

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo doesn't kill us this year .... His cap hit is under 12 million. Next year his cap hit increases to 27 million