• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the middle ground on Dez

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I see If we cut him post 6/1 the 2016 cap hit is $9.1M ($5M + $1.6M + $2.5M). And the 2017 cap hit is $10M. If we cut him before 6/1 the full $19.1M hits 2016.

overthecap shows the full cap hit

spotrac shows the cap hit if cut after June 1st

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, to resign Dez this year you are almost deadlocked into restructuring Romo next year thus pushing up the june first hit in 2016. And that doesnt factor in the LT you will also need to resign. With an Estimated $1.5 in cap space in 2015, after you resign Dez, some one is going to have to restructure or be cut to get under the cap for 2015, so realistically you cant even begin to speculate on 2016 until then.

correct and this is what I have been saying

the ONLY way to sign Dez ..... FLAT OUT is to restructure Romo's 17 million base salary

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about what I think will happen. If romo is healthy he will be restructured again. I've been saying for years how dumb that is, but I also know it will happen. So rerun the numbers with Romo restructured, Free gone (or another big pay cut) and Dez and Smith both signed and both with a contract back loaded. I have no concern about whether we will be able to sign them. I'm more worried about what it does to the rest of the team left around them.

Which is my concern and has always been......

We will find a way to keep Dez .... and it will be by restructuring Romo AGAIN

Thus keeping us in cap hell an additional 3-4 years

Like it or not ..... to resign Dez Kills the Cowboys for 3-4 years ..... basically ... most of the length of his contract

and the Dez fans ..... should really think long and hard about that .... Kiss Free agency good bye ..... and pray like hell in the draft

btw they dont really backload contract anymore ...... they simply restructure the base salary .... all bonuses are spread evenly

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
normally now days a contract will look like this ( will vary some on the base salary but not much)

just an example ..... 4 years 50 million

base salary 10 million signing bonus 2.5 million. 4 years in a row ( and agents want it like this .... because to move tha base salary guarantees it)

1st year of the contract .... they restructure ...
base salary goes to 1 million ..... 3 million per year added on to each of the following 3 years guaranteed ...... freeing up 9 million dollars

next year ... they do the same thing ... which adds 4.5 to the other 3 in restructure plus the 2.5 signing bonues .... but only a 1 million base salary ( player still makes 10 million stat year)

third year .... restructure again ..... move 9 million to the final year ... plus the 4.5 plus the 3(from the first restructure) plus the 2.5 signing bonus
4th year of that contract becomes worth 29 million .....

Which is exactly what we did with Romo's last contract ...... Which forces you to either pay up ... or give an extension ( like we did Romo) and restructure the final year of that contract through the duration of the new one

It gets done like that now days because the base salary becomes guaranteed money if you restructure it

Should have put this in there
Cant restructure signing bonus ... cant restructure .... restructure money ... cant restructure roster bonus .... ONLY base salary

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw anyone doubting this can go look

Romo was restructured last year to a 1.5 base salary
This year he was restructured to a 1 million base salary

Next year his base is 17 million ..... to sign Dez ALONE ...... 12-16 of that base salary will be restructured ... ( no other players to restructure except Carr who wont even be close to the money Dez will get)

Romo will make 27+ million next year .... want to add 5-10 million to that? ...... That's easy pray we resign Dez

Thats was my #1 reason for wanting to trade him ...... didnt need all the other factors ... but they did help me make my decision on how I felt about him being a long term Cowboy

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually let me turn that into the big picture ....

In 2-3 years ... we are going to end up giving Romo 40-50 million 1/3 of the cap ( with the expected increases) to sit at home and not be a Cowboy

Eat the money now ... on an 8-8 team .... with alot of young talent .... or eat in a couple of years when it comes time to resign this young talent and not be able to

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw they dont really backload contract anymore ...... they simply restructure the base salary .... all bonuses are spread evenly

Backloaded as in year one cap hit is smallest which is pretty much always done by the Cowboys on big contracts and really most teams.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backloaded as in year one cap hit is smallest which is pretty much always done by the Cowboys on big contracts and really most teams.

I agree.

restructuring Romo was the plan the moment he signed his contract

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear now that every team who believes they have a franchise qb if they aren't already the will have the same similar cap issues with few exceptions (Denver and N.E. and only because their qb's are all time greats and could win with any wr core). This will level off and we will be okay even signing Dez and Smith.

If you don't believe me lets watch what happens when the Skins, Colts, Seahawks, Niners, Falcons (Julio) Bengals so forth and so on. Have to resign their elite franchise qb's or Wr's or both. I'm not going to have panic attacks over our salary cap JJ has always managed. The good team have built in the draft except for one are two F/A. Most of the teams who have money suck and then over spend to reach the cap min that has been set by the Mafia/Goddell.

Plain and simple we need to retain Dez.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear now that every team who believes they have a franchise qb if they aren't already the will have the same similar cap issues with few exceptions (Denver and N.E. and only because their qb's are all time greats and could win with any wr core). This will level off and we will be okay even signing Dez and Smith.

If you don't believe me lets watch what happens when the Skins, Colts, Seahawks, Niners, Falcons (Julio) Bengals so forth and so on. Have to resign their elite franchise qb's or Wr's or both. I'm not going to have panic attacks over our salary cap JJ has always managed. The good team have built in the draft except for one are two F/A. Most of the teams who have money suck and then over spend to reach the cap min that has been set by the Mafia/Goddell.

I think there will be a lot more QB's taken in the late 1st round going forward because you get a 5th year on a rookie deal instead of 4. It makes sense if you believe in the guy. The Seahawks have enjoyed Russell Wilson playing on a low number the last couple of years, but because he was a 3rd rounder, they only got 4 years on his original deal. Looking at what Kaepernick just got, Wilson will be going from less than $1 million to nearly $20 million after next year. Try fitting that under your salary cap

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. It's not just the QB contract. It is the restructures too. Look at the QBs above and below Romo in total salary. Their total contracts are similar to Romo's, but their current and past year cap hits are all higher and usually much higher (unless they were on a smaller contract for those years). Romo's contract averages $18M a year, but his highest cap hit has been $11.8M. The other QBs near him have the following 2014 cap hits - $18.5, 15.8M, 20.4M, 17.5M, 16.7M, 18.9M, 18.4M and 14.8. that money doesn't go away when you restructure it just moves into a future year and adds to his already high cap hit in that year. Yes some of these guys may be restructured and come down at some point, but you can go back and check the same guys 2013 cap hit if you want and it shows the same picture as compared to Romo. 2013 Romo's cap hit was also $11.8M the others were from $13.6M to $20.9M. Jerry and Stephen manage the cap like two imbeciles IMO. I know, I know...we get under the cap...

So it isn't just the bad contract, but how much worse we made it by these restructures. Every player we can't afford isn't Dez's fault or Smith's fault it's the Romo contract AND just as important the way we've sold out our future years for our current years chasing a ring we weren't going to win anyway.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the contract and the restructuring were bad , but Im not giving up on any season. That may be stupid, considering USA today had us winning 3 games in 2014. I just dont believe that.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the contract and the restructuring were bad , but Im not giving up on any season. That may be stupid, considering USA today had us winning 3 games in 2014. I just dont believe that.

can't give up on any season myself....much less worry about the cap two/three years from now

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. It's not just the QB contract. It is the restructures too. Look at the QBs above and below Romo in total salary. Their total contracts are similar to Romo's, but their current and past year cap hits are all higher and usually much higher (unless they were on a smaller contract for those years). Romo's contract averages $18M a year, but his highest cap hit has been $11.8M. The other QBs near him have the following 2014 cap hits - $18.5, 15.8M, 20.4M, 17.5M, 16.7M, 18.9M, 18.4M and 14.8. that money doesn't go away when you restructure it just moves into a future year and adds to his already high cap hit in that year. Yes some of these guys may be restructured and come down at some point, but you can go back and check the same guys 2013 cap hit if you want and it shows the same picture as compared to Romo. 2013 Romo's cap hit was also $11.8M the others were from $13.6M to $20.9M. Jerry and Stephen manage the cap like two imbeciles IMO. I know, I know...we get under the cap...

So it isn't just the bad contract, but how much worse we made it by these restructures. Every player we can't afford isn't Dez's fault or Smith's fault it's the Romo contract AND just as important the way we've sold out our future years for our current years chasing a ring we weren't going to win anyway.

EXACTLY

The restructures the past 4 seasons have netted us 6-10 followed by 3 straight 8-8 seasons.
And this actually started when Parcels left .... so you can actually go back 7 years. to the 13-3 season .... Thats along fucking time to keep restructuring the same players .... after 7 years it's time to start over and fix the cap

No player IMO is worth 4 more years of that

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent looked in a while, but with the increase in cap, we could afford to eat the whole 27 mil of romos contract coming up without restructuring it again. If that is still true, then we should do that instead of kicking the can further on that contract.
If we sign Dez or Smith to a new deal their cap hit will be less than what their 5th year option would be. So that wouldnt be the reason to say we cant afford them.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent looked in a while, but with the increase in cap, we could afford to eat the whole 27 mil of romos contract coming up without restructuring it again. If that is still true, then we should do that instead of kicking the can further on that contract.
If we sign Dez or Smith to a new deal their cap hit will be less than what their 5th year option would be. So that wouldnt be the reason to say we cant afford them.

you would be correct on Romo
incorrect on Dez and Smith

Dez doesn't have a 5th year option. and even if he did Dez is making less than 3 million this year. Giving him a new contract is going to increase that by ateast 9 million ( So yeah there is no number to reduce by signing him to an extension right now)

Smith's option we already picked up .... Think it was for right at 10.3 million for next season. His new contract will bring him more than that likely between 11- 13 million a season

Next years cap to fit Romo full money in would work ..... IF and only if we don't bring Dez back. Smith's money is already on the books for next year. plus we still can only guess the contracts Lawrence and Martin will get. They have yet to sign so they haven't been added to the books yet.

Romo HAS TOO restructure to bring Dez back.

One of the things that has killed our cap in the past has been dead money ..... our cap is that bad going into 2015 with NO DEAD MONEY on the books

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and we WILL resign both Dez and Smith at some point.......

but those screaming Dez is a MUST resign player ...... will have no bitching rights when it comes to our cap situation and if we stay at best average in the .500 range because of it.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

depends on what you consider giving up on the season.

Is it possible to win the division? Sure we've been a final game of the season away for 3 years.

Is it likely? We do have the ability to shoot it out with anyone in the league IMO

However playoffs and Superbowls come down to defense .... So no I dont think we are a superbowl contender ....... Not in the slightest

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Over The Cap we are 10M under the 2014 cap. How much of that can by rolled over into 15? Also per OCT we are at 133.4M in 2015, the projected cap is between 140 and 145M, giving us 6 to 11M in space. I understanding Dez, Smith and Melton will eat that space quickly but I don't think we must choose 2 of the 3.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Over The Cap we are 10M under the 2014 cap. How much of that can by rolled over into 15? Also per OCT we are at 133.4M in 2015, the projected cap is between 140 and 145M, giving us 6 to 11M in space. I understanding Dez, Smith and Melton will eat that space quickly but I don't think we must choose 2 of the 3.

we have our top 2 picks left to sign .... so it wont be 10 million

plus anyone we have to pick up during the year because of injuries .... ( which cost us around 8 million in total last year)

So not likely we will have any roll over money really worth talking about

BTW Murray is also a free agent

Murray, Dez, and Melton will cost 9 million if we keep him)
we took Smith's option so he wont be a free agent