• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The LA Angels at Your Texas Rangers 9/26 - 9/29

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You better watch out Rev, he will call you racist like he did with Romeo. And Romeo did nothing to be called that. The sooner he is gone the better.
I've been called much worse in my time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been called much worse in my time.

It was a bullshit move and told me all I needed to know about him. I've just stayed away since. Or tried to.

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays do start their game two hours before us, so we can see just how badly we need the win.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a must win. No two ways about it for me.

Absolutely, we can punch our own ticket to another game with a win, so do it instead of counting on another team.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get this dude taken care of? He's only showing up to talk shit to people. You wanna talk about the rangers? Then do so, but you are coming here to instigate stuff.

Can we get this dude taken care of? That's rich. Is Wash not part of the Rangers? You complain about the manager and I think it's should be open for discussion. Simple as that. How about we get the complainers and front runners taken care of? Besides, I didn't just show up. I was here long before you.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok guys, the Rangers have moved back into a tie for the last WC...we should all be talking about that and not second guessing everyone. There is a LONG offseason for that, let's wait to get there and hope it isn't for another month or so.

I've cleaned up some of the last few pages and sent PM's off to people asking for you all to chill a bit towards fellow fans. Let's all get along and enjoy this epic comeback, when most of the country had written us off.

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was poorly worded, I guess. I meant the Rays and Indians do start their games one and two hours earlier, so we can see exactly where we will be with a win or loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, how exciting is this? How amazing it'd be to see the Rays eliminated on the last day of the season.

dunmysr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I think we can all agree on, and we have last year as well as this year for evidence....

Every single one of these 162 games matters!

Also, when it comes to MLB managers, IMO, it is much easier to notice the mistakes they make vs the decisions that are the correct ones. After all, in baseball, there is a right and a wrong move for just about every call a manager makes. Every manager is going to make mistakes over the course of a 162 game season, no doubt about that. I would argue though, if you could actually count them all up, that Ron Washington makes A LOT more mistakes than almost every other manager in baseball. I would also suggest that all those additional managerial errors, have cost us more than 1 (probably more like 5-7) games in the win column, more than the next best manager to Ron Washington(in terms of number of managerial errors).

We can try and justify all this by talking about how loyal Ron Washington is to his players, or how he gets more out of players, (fill in the blank)....but at the end of the day, you cannot ignore the errors, you have to take them into consideration for the whole picture. And at least for this year, I don't see how we can say he has gotten anything more out of his players than any other manager has. Which brings me to my next point; there is no way to quantify how much more or less a manager "gets" out of his players. When evaluating a manager you cannot take that into account, AT ALL!!

162 games......... if we don't make the postseason, there is a lot of blame to go around. Players, Managers, Front office. Everyone shares a piece of it for sure. A manager's errors are much easier noticed though, and again it is clear, IMO, that an average manager replacing Ron Washington means:

2012: Texas Rangers Division Champion
2013: At least would have already locked up a wild card berth.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played baseball and followed it since 1955 and in all that time I have never known of a manger who guided his team to a perfect record. Most times managers lose their teams and are fired based on their record. Not the case here. As a matter of fact, it's not even close.
Wash makes moves that we don't agree with, but there is nothing I can find or have ever heard of that can definitively point to evidence of managers either losing or winning games. If JD makes a change then so be it, but my money is and always has been on the bottom line.

I agree....I also never knew a manager that made his decisions with 100% accuracy. Always thought it was how a team responded to the manager along with his won/loss record. I also don't see this sure fire firing in the offseason.

Best part seems by saying that....you're an outsider :laugh3:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have sworn the D-backs won by beating the best closer in baseball. Also, Bremly brought in Randy Johnson to close out the game which many consider a brilliant move. They won a WS which is where you should have stopped. Obviously, your screen name fits.

I watched the game and Schilling and Johnson both pitched game 7. That was a no brainer. Bremly was an idiot and out as soon as those pitchers we're gone. I'm just wastin some time with you.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I would argue though, if you could actually count them all up, that Ron Washington makes A LOT more mistakes than almost every other manager in baseball. I would also suggest that all those additional managerial errors, have cost us more than 1 (probably more like 5-7) games in the win column, more than the next best manager to Ron Washington(in terms of number of managerial errors)"

I have no problem with this opinion but I would say, if this were the case, then I expect "baseball people" would easily see this and he would be gone. Clear as day. I sure don't think JD, Nolan and others within the rangers would put up with that. Do you?

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have always seen Wash as a 3rd base coach
dressed up as a manager.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really hoping the Twins pitch an actual major leaguer tomorrow. That would be cool.

ashcan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because talent is often able to overcome poor managing, but not always. It's really a simple concept that's easily understood if you've ever played the game at a fairly high level or followed and studied it for a long time as a fan. From your posts it is VERY apparent that neither of those apply to you. Managers can negatively affect their teams much more easily than they can positively affect them. That doesn't just apply to Wash but all managers. If the manager makes all of the right calls, it is still up to the players to perform. Thus, it's hard for a manager to truly "win" his team a game. However, if he makes boneheaded calls and puts weaker players in situations where it is unfair to expect them to perform, then the burden of that loss falls heavily on him. And that is often the case with Wash, not putting his players in the best situations to succeed.

9 times out of 10 we the fans, analysts, and sports writers easily spot his mistakes as he's making them because they are so blatantly obvious and we say "this isn't going to work" and sure enough it doesn't.

" . . .if you've ever played the game at a fairly high level or followed and studied it for a long time as a fan."

I see the problem. You guys think you're too smart and you know it all. You talk down as if we all just started watching this thing 4 years ago. Well I tell you what, I showed up wayyyy before that. I missed Ted Williams, but I've been around since Whitey Herzog and Dick Risenhoover. Risenhoover wasn't a manager, he called the games. So, that lets you know that I've seen an inning or two.
Any fool who follows the game knows that it's all about the talent. Texas lost Gurerro, MY, Josh, and Napoli. Our depth was exposed in St Louis in Game 1 of the Series when we had Yorvit pinch hit. I thought it was a bad move, but just like now, Wash was limited. German and Blanco weren't any better. But, hell, all managers make bad moves. Remember that brain fart in Game 5 year that damn near cost LaRussa the Series?
Hey, you guys can have it. I've seen my share of bad managers and talent around this place. We've had 4 great years, but some people just can't be happy. Texas had a choice between Wash and Trey Hillman. They chose Wash and Hillman went to KC. Wash still has his job. Talent? Sure, but name me a manager, ANY manager throughout history who won anything without talent?
You talk of weaker players in certain positions? Well, lets talk about David Murphy and what he really is. Murph is a 4th outfielder who you can't afford to expose. This year, he was exposed. He's not Jack Daugherty or some utility guy, but he's not a guy you run out there 150 a year. In the past, he has thrived by resting most of the year, pinch hitting, and being a change of pace come August. When Josh needed a blow, Murphy would step in and carry us as times. But when we gave up on Ham and Napoli, Murphy had to play. Then Nellie got popped for PEDs. We didn't have a David Murphy coming off the bench and getting us through the dog days. IMO, the worst mistake was made by the braintrust when they took a chance on Profar and Olt making a step up this year. When that failed, it was a problem. How many homeruns and RBIs did we give up when we let guys go to free agency and traded MY? A LOT!!! If you wanna' blame someone for this year, blame Jon Daniels. We promoted Jim Adduci. Great guy and story, but he's not front line.
I don't know what level you played the game. I've watched it for 41 years. I've watch this franchise that long also. We had 3 good years in the late 90's. We've had 3 great ones recently. To want to fire a manager who has helped legitmize this franchise is asinine. I'll admit, Wash is unconventional. If he were that bad a manager, would we have won 90 the last 4 years?

ashcan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree....I also never knew a manager that made his decisions with 100% accuracy. Always thought it was how a team responded to the manager along with his won/loss record. I also don't see this sure fire firing in the offseason.

Best part seems by saying that....you're an outsider :laugh3:

Exactly.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" . . .if you've ever played the game at a fairly high level or followed and studied it for a long time as a fan."

I see the problem. You guys think you're too smart and you know it all. You talk down as if we all just started watching this thing 4 years ago. Well I tell you what, I showed up wayyyy before that. I missed Ted Williams, but I've been around since Whitey Herzog and Dick Risenhoover. Risenhoover wasn't a manager, he called the games. So, that lets you know that I've seen an inning or two.
Any fool who follows the game knows that it's all about the talent. Texas lost Gurerro, MY, Josh, and Napoli. Our depth was exposed in St Louis in Game 1 of the Series when we had Yorvit pinch hit. I thought it was a bad move, but just like now, Wash was limited. German and Blanco weren't any better. But, hell, all managers make bad moves. Remember that brain fart in Game 5 year that damn near cost LaRussa the Series?
Hey, you guys can have it. I've seen my share of bad managers and talent around this place. We've had 4 great years, but some people just can't be happy. Texas had a choice between Wash and Trey Hillman. They chose Wash and Hillman went to KC. Wash still has his job. Talent? Sure, but name me a manager, ANY manager throughout history who won anything without talent?
You talk of weaker players in certain positions? Well, lets talk about David Murphy and what he really is. Murph is a 4th outfielder who you can't afford to expose. This year, he was exposed. He's not Jack Daugherty or some utility guy, but he's not a guy you run out there 150 a year. In the past, he has thrived by resting most of the year, pinch hitting, and being a change of pace come August. When Josh needed a blow, Murphy would step in and carry us as times. But when we gave up on Ham and Napoli, Murphy had to play. Then Nellie got popped for PEDs. We didn't have a David Murphy coming off the bench and getting us through the dog days. IMO, the worst mistake was made by the braintrust when they took a chance on Profar and Olt making a step up this year. When that failed, it was a problem. How many homeruns and RBIs did we give up when we let guys go to free agency and traded MY? A LOT!!! If you wanna' blame someone for this year, blame Jon Daniels. We promoted Jim Adduci. Great guy and story, but he's not front line.
I don't know what level you played the game. I've watched it for 41 years. I've watch this franchise that long also. We had 3 good years in the late 90's. We've had 3 great ones recently. To want to fire a manager who has helped legitmize this franchise is asinine. I'll admit, Wash is unconventional. If he were that bad a manager, would we have won 90 the last 4 years?

TL;DR