• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Jeff Carter Playoff Thread

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
figured it was only appropriate to create a place to keep track of jeff's playoffs..will this be the year carter shows up?

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love the thread, because this guy has to show up, why are others worried about Richy when this is the guy that hasn't gotten it done the most.

Ps Lavy I never ever want to see Carter and Richards play together regularly.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the thread, because this guy has to show up, why are others worried about Richy when this is the guy that hasn't gotten it done the most.

Ps Lavy I never ever want to see Carter and Richards play together regularly.

carter and richards together are trash

they better not be on the ice at the same time.. i dont even want them switching at the same time.. if they're on the ice together, for any time, no matter how brief, bad things will happen

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Richards
Pros:
tied for 3rd (w/ Carter) on the team with 66 points
2nd on the team with 43 assists
1st among forwards in blocked shots
7th, 2nd among forwards, in PK time
1st in PP points

Cons:
4th on the team in giveaways with 46 (1st among forwards)
4th (out of 5) among regular centers in the faceoff dot with a 49.8%
11th (7th among forwards) with a +11 rating
6th on the team in PIMS (albeit a pretty distance 6th), but 3rd in minor penalties (only 2 fights)

Jeff Carter
Pros:
1st on the team in goals with 36
3rd on the team (1st forward) at +27
t-1st (Giroux) with 8 ppg
1st on the team with 7 GWG
1st among regular centers with a 54.7% in the faceoff dot
12th on the team in PIMS, 11th in minors (+ a rare fight)
1st on the team in shots
3rd in PP points (4 behind richards)

Cons:
10th in shooting%, makes a lot of those shots useless
12th among regulars in PK time/game (holmstrom is listed above him, hence regulars)
13th in hits
11th in blocked shots (32 behind richards)

things that stand out to me:

1. carter has a significantly better +/- than one of the supposed best defensive forwards in the game

2. richards and carter are tied in points, where i think carter has more offensive talent (they played 81 and 80 games respectively, which is also something to be noted as a pro for both)

3. richards has the most turnovers for a forward, something that has really hurt this team

4. richards only has 2 fights, carter only has 1 less, when richards is supposed to be a physical presence

5. richards has taken 9 more minor penalties than carter, when one of carter's knocks in years past has been his stupid stick infractions

not trying to say one had a better year than the other, i think they both could've been much better, especially down the stretch, but people jump on carter like it's ok to do and then get real defensive when people bash richards.. it goes both ways this year, they are the leaders of this team and they both need to step it up in the playoffs

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+/- numbers can be deceiving. Richards is almost always on the ice against the others teams top line every night.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+/- numbers can be deceiving. Richards is almost always on the ice against the others teams top line every night.

in the playoffs i 100% agree with you.. in the regular season, i dont know about that.. maybe i just dont pay as much attention, but matchups seem to be an after-thought in the regular season

regardless, he's been able to pull even with carter in +/- in the rest of their careers.. defense is one of his specialties and the past shows he's been able to keep his +/- up playing against top lines (aside from last year when everyone sucked outside of prong/carle).. this year, not so much.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the playoffs i 100% agree with you.. in the regular season, i dont know about that.. maybe i just dont pay as much attention, but matchups seem to be an after-thought in the regular season

regardless, he's been able to pull even with carter in +/- in the rest of their careers.. defense is one of his specialties and the past shows he's been able to keep his +/- up playing against top lines (aside from last year when everyone sucked outside of prong/carle).. this year, not so much.

Point taken however another point is Richards went from playing with Gagne to Nodl. That def had an impact on production, imo.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken however another point is Richards went from playing with Gagne to Nodl. That def had an impact on production, imo.

point taken on my end.. gags did have a good impact/influence on richards.. you also have to consider gags only played 59 games last year, and richards has had a lot of time w/ versteeg and jvr who are equally as skilled as gagne and whatever scrub they threw out there with them last year (if memory serves, carcillo was that scrub a lot of the time)

dont get me wrong, i think they are equally as valuable to the team (carter and richards), but as far as production goes i think carter played up to expectations this season more-so than richards did.. perhaps its because carter doesn't have expectations as high, but that comes with the territory of being captain..

i expect carter to score a lot of goals (36) while taking lots of shots (1st) and missing a bunch of them (1st).. i also expect him to chip in defensively every now and then (+27)..

i expect richards to be a special teams expert (led the team in PP points, but the PP was very weak this year).. SH he did well.. i also expect him to play very well defensively (+11 is low considering the teams differential), and to be smart with the puck (1st in turnovers).. i also expect him to be a physical presence, which i guess he sort of was, but he shouldn't be out-hit by giroux, nodl, and jvr (although the jvr one is exciting and is the way it should be eventually)

higher expectations maybe, but such is life.. when he played as big as he did in the playoffs last year i'm going to have higher expectations for him, which IMO he did not live up to this season

*i do have a history of having expectations that are too high, see Pronger, Chris

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post! I agree w/ pretty much all of it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post! I agree w/ pretty much all of it.

haha good.. now, as this thread is titled, let's see if carter can live up to his expectations in the playoffs, where the roles are reversed and carter disappoints and richards rises above his expectations

if only they could work it out so they could both meet expectations at the same time!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all know the key is for Carts to perform in the playoffs and take it up a few notches....I really don't give a shit about the regular season anymore its cup or bust! In any case I will give Carts a compliment in that he did play more consistently this season and the benefit of the doubt that he'll carry that into the playoffs.

At least Lavy go his lines right Giroux with Carts works way better than Richie with Carts...I almost lost my fucking mind at the start of the year and last years playoffs with that failed experiment I'm glad everyone agrees now.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am too, but I am also hoping that for Bob and anytime Carcillo and Shelly get.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thing makes Carter's nuts shrink up into his body once the playoffs start.

cjs182848

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Carter

I can't believe no one has a thread up yet about how terrible Carter played. Honestly, how in the hell does Lavy justify playing Carter and Versteeg and not Zherdev? If those last 5 or 6 games were his audition he definately proved he deserves to be in there over these two bums. I know Carter and Steeg will never sit but at least sit Carcillos bum ass and move Nodl to the fourth line. Best lines imo would be

Zherdev-Giroux-Carter
H-B-L
Steeg-Richie-Reemer
Nodl-Betts-Powe

cjs182848

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course my dumb ass didnt see Woots thread haha my bad.

{ MERGED }

Last edited by a moderator: