• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The G5 automatic NY6 bid

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is equal home games lopsided in favor of anyone?

Because the marginal benefit to the G5 team is much, much greater than that of the P5 team (in most circumstances).

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the marginal benefit to the G5 team is much, much greater than that of the P5 team (in most circumstances).

If, for example, we go from one format where P5 teams play 7 home games and G5 teams play five to one where all FBS teams play six home games, of course that will benefit G5 teams more than P5 teams. The difference is that P5 teams are losing an unfair advantage and G5 teams are gaining an equally fair set up. By no means do I think it will happen but if you are arguing that equal home games is unfair to P5 teams, I can't imagine how.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If, for example, we go from one format where P5 teams play 7 home games and G5 teams play five to one where all FBS teams play six home games, of course that will benefit G5 teams more than P5 teams. The difference is that P5 teams are losing an unfair advantage and G5 teams are gaining an equally fair set up. By no means do I think it will happen but if you are arguing that equal home games is unfair to P5 teams, I can't imagine how.

My argument is not in regard to # of home games, but rather the ticket sales. The major P5 programs are going to not experience much of an uptick at all in ticket sales for a G5 opponent. The opposite is certainly true for a G5 school hosting a P5 program.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My argument is not in regard to # of home games, but rather the ticket sales. The major P5 programs are going to not experience much of an uptick at all in ticket sales for a G5 opponent. The opposite is certainly true for a G5 school hosting a P5 program.

Okay. I don't disagree with that. That said, I'm only coming at this from the fairest competition format. Of course, I get that money is why it will never happen but even without guaranteeing equal home games, it still helps G5 teams to know approximately what it takes as a matter of rule to compete for the playoffs and to have rules that provide top P5 teams with a competitive incentive to schedule top G5 teams. If P5s choose to schedule lopsided deals with weaker competition for their financial benefit, so be it. The difference is that that choice could cost them under rules like mine whereas it barely matters with a committee.