• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The future of the offensive line

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you repeat stuff enough times, it becomes twue!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont think so? At least 2015 we had okung at LT who is still better than any other OL on the team. Before that we had 2 probowlers, one a top 10 pick and the other picked before cable got here.

Now?

Cable hasnt developed anybody in 6 years, is that your definition of success?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont think so? At least 2015 we had okung at LT who is still better than any other OL on the team. Before that we had 2 probowlers, one a top 10 pick and the other picked before cable got here.

Now?

He's NEVER developed anybody? Nobody? If they weren't, "developed", they wouldn't have gotten better offers from other teams or traded to teams with high value in return...

• Sweezy (5yr/33 million w/ Saints)... I'd say the Saints were pretty high on him due to being "developed"...
  • Unger (Traded for Graham)... You don't give up arguably the best TE in the league for a guy who wasn't "developed"...
  • Carpenter (Signed 4yr contract w/ Jets as their starting LG)...
  • Okung (We definitely saw how much he was missed this season, because he was, "developed")...
  • Britt (starting Center and has turned into one helk of Center so far... It was Cable's idea to start him at Center)... You don't successfully start a 2nd year player at a new position if he wasn't, "Developed"...
  • Glowinski - starting LG and looks promising...
  • Ifedi - definitely looks like he's going to be solid for years to come...
  • Our interior wasn't that bad considering all of them were young w/out much experience...
Was it Cable's fault Schneider/Carroll let Okung, Sweezy, Unger, Carpenter go elsewhere? No... But they had opportunity to get better contracts due to the development/coaching they received in Seattle... Our OL was on fire the last half of the season but Schneider/Carroll decided to not invest in Sweezy and Okung so they let them walk... Not Cable's fault...

It's amazing how you can sit there with a straight face and say Cable is horrible because our OL struggled this year with the hand he was dealt...

If you want to blame someone for not investing into the OL, you need to blame Schneider/Carroll if you feel the need to... But if they did invest over the years, you'd be calling for the DC's head because our defense would've taken a major step back because we wouldn't had been able to sign the guys on defense we did since it would've went to the OL...

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now?

Do you think this time will be different than the other 12 times we've danced this dance?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys at it again with Mr Hyperbole?! Cmon.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys at it again with Mr Hyperbole?! Cmon.

I only stuck a toe onto the dancefloor!

<pouts as Snuggles and AO hoe down>

Reactions: JMR

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweezy- didnt play a down as a saint, was average AT BEST

okung- top 10 pick, didnt live up to his draft position, took a 1 year deal.

Carpenter- drafted as a RT, didnt pan out. Jets were desperate

Unger- picked by the previous regime and already showed ability.

Britt- might be an argument here, but failed at two different positions. See how he does in year 2 at center.

Glowinski- nothing special yet

Ifedi- another T that didnt pan out, will see how he does.

Like was already stated, we have spent picks on OL and not one has really become a good player we had to keep.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweezy- didnt play a down as a saint, was average AT BEST

That's not the point... Did Sweezy not get a large multi year contract? NFL teams don't just throw money around to "undeveloped" players whom are FA's... He was a DE that was converted to a OL who was very solid when he signed a 5 year/33 million deal w/ another team... If you don't label that as, "developed", then you're not using your noodle like you should...

okung- top 10 pick, didnt live up to his draft position, took a 1 year deal.

Yet, in post#42 you state, "At least 2015 we had okung at LT"... Not all players live up to their draft status but he was a solid LT for us... And you honestly believe he would've only gotten a 1 year deal if he had hired an agent? Again, it's crazy how you can say this stuff w/ a straight face...

Carpenter- drafted as a RT, didnt pan out. Jets were desperate

Did you ask the Jets if they we're, "desperate"? Why didn't they sign another LG for less money if they were desperate? Maybe because they liked Carpenter?

Unger- picked by the previous regime and already showed ability.

He was only a 2nd year player w/ the new regime... Excuses... Excuses... Did he make the pro bowl with the previous regime? Nope! Did he make the Probowl multiple times under Cable? Yep! Did he make the All pro team under Cable? Yep!!! Again, excuses... excuses...

Britt- might be an argument here, but failed at two different positions. See how he does in year 2 at center.

LOL... That's all I have after reading that comment...

Glowinski- nothing special yet

You do know not every player is going to be a probowler, don't you?

Ifedi- another T that didnt pan out, will see how he does.

I'm definitely not concerned with him - especially with TOM CABLE as his OL coach...

Like was already stated, we have spent picks on OL and not one has really become a good player we had to keep

Yeah, like I stated, it's because we let the good ones walk or we traded them away... You need to be sending your hate mail to Schneider if you want to blame someone...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily want to join the fracas, but for the sake of accuracy: Sweezy signed with the Bucs, not the Saints.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the point... Did Sweezy not get a large multi year contract? NFL teams don't just throw money around to "undeveloped" players whom are FA's... He was a DE that was converted to a OL who was very solid when he signed a 5 year/33 million deal w/ another team... If you don't label that as, "developed", then you're not using your noodle like you should...

did you want to drop 6.5m on sweezy? not even a top 32 G in the league, he is grossly overpaid.

Yet, in post#42 you state, "At least 2015 we had okung at LT"... Not all players live up to their draft status but he was a solid LT for us... And you honestly believe he would've only gotten a 1 year deal if he had hired an agent? Again, it's crazy how you can say this stuff w/ a straight face...

okung was pretty much a consensus top tackle that year, picked #7 overall, just didnt pan out. he would have been our best OL last year but thats saying nothing becuase the rest were at best average. a top 10 LT should be a starter for his whole career, but turns out he just wasnt worth the contract he wanted and the rest of the league agreed agent or no agent.

Did you ask the Jets if they we're, "desperate"? Why didn't they sign another LG for less money if they were desperate? Maybe because they liked Carpenter?

no but sports media people did, and the jets had their sights aimed higher and wiffed on multiple guys. they settled for carpenter. but again, drafted as a T, failed at that spot and turned into an average G. cable seems to excel at turning Ts into Gs if he excels at anything.

He was only a 2nd year player w/ the new regime... Excuses... Excuses... Did he make the pro bowl with the previous regime? Nope! Did he make the Probowl multiple times under Cable? Yep! Did he make the All pro team under Cable? Yep!!! Again, excuses... excuses...

talented player, highly thought of, considered a smart pick at the time. cable had nothing to do with taking him. imagine that. one of the few ruskell picks that worked out.

LOL... That's all I have after reading that comment...

PFF has him ranked 16th out of 32 Cs. run rank 18 pass rank 21. average AT BEST. maybe he can be our starting C for years to come. time will tell. he will be the first OL we have extended under cable?

You do know not every player is going to be a probowler, don't you?

PFF has him ranked 63rd best guard. out of 62.... not even a starter on any other team. should be replaced by a draft pick or a FA

I'm definitely not concerned with him - especially with TOM CABLE as his OL coach...

it doesnt bother you that we drafted him as a T and AGAIN we end up with a G? he had a sloppy and underwhelming rookie year. he could develop but it simply cant be taken for granted under cable.

Yeah, like I stated, it's because we let the good ones walk or we traded them away... You need to be sending your hate mail to Schneider if you want to blame someone...

because none of them were really any good, and likely NOT worth the contracts they received. even unger missed more games than he played. 6 games his last season with us.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily want to join the fracas, but for the sake of accuracy: Sweezy signed with the Bucs, not the Saints.

So, what you're saying is that Snuggles was right...Sweezy didn't play a down for the Saints this season. :D

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what you're saying is that Snuggles was right...Sweezy didn't play a down for the Saints this season. :D
Haha yep. Or for the Rams...or the Giants...or the Jags....or the ____.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha... LOL... Not sure why I kept thinking the Saints...

And yes, i'm going to w/d from the fracas myself... Tough to discuss when there is no common sense resident...

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crybabies dont like being disagreed with.

go to your safe space snowflake

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crybabies?

Heh, too funny.

There's some fine whine going on in these threads alrighty.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least debate without getting butt hurt. Its not personal, its a long off season, lets disagree.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crybabies dont like being disagreed with.

go to your safe space snowflake

LOL... Not going to discuss this topic with somebody who can't admit that JR Sweezy was developed by Cable... If you can't separate hate and logic, then you're not going to have an open mind... You make yourself look bad enough - I don't need to keep helping you do so...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL... Not going to discuss this topic with somebody who can't admit that JR Sweezy was developed by Cable... If you can't separate hate and logic, then you're not going to have an open mind... You make yourself look bad enough - I don't need to keep helping you do so...

If sweezy is your lone example, its pretty sad honestly.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If sweezy is your lone example, its pretty sad honestly.

OK... I'll play...

I gave plenty of examples but for giggles, how bout we start with Sweezy... You said "Cable hasnt developed anybody", so let's start here... Let's only concentrate with Sweezy for the sake of this debate, shall we? I will debate that Cable developed Sweezy and your side of the debate is Sweezy wasn't developed because that's our stance... A firm one at that...

How can you say that Sweezy was not developed, when he had not played the OL when we drafted him? Did he just p/u a "How to Play OL for Dummies" book and learn that way? The Hawks convinced him to change to OL prior to the draft... Once Sweezy said ok, the Hawks drafted him in the 7th round... Grasp that... We drafted a player in the 7th round who only played DL in college and had him play OL as a starter in the NFL... HE didn't know how to play OL when he came to the NFL... After his contract ran out, he had turned into a solid player for us... Solid enough to have multiple teams competing with one another for rights to giving him a new contract...

I'd like to hear from you, how he was not developed...