• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The dumb face that launched 1000 SportsHoopla avatars: Phils at the Grill to face Nate Lowe's face 6/21-22

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they acquired Hamels in 2015 they had no idea that they could win so many games in 2016, a tribute to Banny. They knew how good they were in 2010. They didn't know how many games they would win in 2016. No one did. By the time we traded for Lee we all had very high hopes for 2010.

Somehow Banny got that 2016 team to win more games than their talent level can explain. He could not get them to perform that way in the postseason though. Then they played to their talent level.

Anyway, that is how I distinguish the difference in the two trades.

Regardless of how the trades are described and viewed, I think we can all agree on two things: this definitely isn't the season for the Rangers to making a big trade for a starting pitcher, and Nate Lowe's face is incredibly stupid.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants to acquire Willie Calhoun, for Steven Duggar. Sounds like a guy to release the first time a roster spot is needed.
Heard on the radio that they’re going to put him on the 26th man roster. If they do that wonder who they send down.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on the radio that they’re going to put him on the 26th man roster. If they do that wonder who they send down.
We need to know more about this guy. Don't know how we could get much for Willie.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to know more about this guy. Don't know how we could get much for Willie.

I can tell you there isn't much to the guy. He's a spare part and won't contribute much, and won't be here when we are contending.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn and Bradford pitch tonight. Winn really needs to start putting it together consistently if he wants to be considered for the 2023 rotation.

Let's see if Bradford continues pitching well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a sneaking suspicion Kole is not getting moved and we already are playing Smith and Leody. We have Miller and Adolis and him. Where is the room?
of those you mentioned only Taveras and Miller are likely to be moving on between now and the trade deadline

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine a team wanting Duggar very badly though. I couldn't imagine why we wanted him until I thought about us needing a backup OF if we traded a couple of guys.
i think it was more getting rid of Willie who was a negative force even down in the minors

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it was more getting rid of Willie who was a negative force even down in the minors

didn't piece it together at first but he was traded to his hometown. probably more about giving Willie the best chance to succeed somewhere else.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Kennidy Landry:

Josh Smith knew he would need an outfielder's glove eventually. A career middle infielder throughout his time in the Minors, Smith read the writing on the wall when the Rangers signed Corey Seager for 10 years and Marcus Semien for seven.

But Smith wasn’t the only one. Texas had a plethora of middle-infield prospects nearing the big leagues with no place to play them. Now, Smith (Rangers’ No. 7 prospect) and Ezequiel Duran (No. 4) are together at the big league level, just not playing the positions they originally expected.

“Everybody became outfielders,” Rangers outfield coordinator Tony Beasley joked. “But I knew with Josh, he was taking reps in camp. We didn’t know with Duran, because we hadn’t decided that he would do anything outside of the infield at that point. Now that he's here, we need to find places to play him. With both of them, we’ve got to be creative. We'll have to find who can do what, how versatile can they be in certain spots defensively and not be a liability. That’s where we’re out.”

Both Smith and Duran -- who were two of four prospects the Rangers got from the Yankees in the Joey Gallo trade last year -- are likely to get live reps at third base and left field, though neither has much outfield experience. Duran has never played there in the Minors at all, while Smith logged 10 games in center field at Triple-A earlier this season.

The Rangers as an organization have had success converting infielders to outfielders when necessary. Ironically, it was most recently Gallo, who came up through the Rangers system as a corner infielder and became a two-time Gold Glove Award-winning right fielder.

What does it take to successfully convert a good infielder into an even better outfielder?

“Most people would think that it's easy,” Beasley said. “Sometimes we take for granted that anybody can catch the ball in the air. But for me, it’s embracing a mentality. I preach, I call it a gangster mentality. It’s taking pride in not allowing balls to hit the turf. Nothing hits the ground. They hear that from me all the time, every day.

“I’m not saying the infielders can’t be G’s, but when they come to the outfield, there's a high expectation to make sure we take care of the baseball and we attack it aggressively. We expect to make plays. We embrace that. We are a bunch of G’s out there. That's how we go about it. Being passive is not a part of our DNA.”

Beasley noted that the two might get a couple mulligans for their first few starts in the outfield, but he still emphasized the aggressiveness he would like them to play with. They’re both athletic players, with good baseball instincts. Both are up to the challenge in Beasley’s eyes.

With the infusion of youth to the Rangers roster, it’s impossible not to realize the domino effect it’ll have. Smith and Duran’s rise will likely limit playing time for veterans Brad Miller and Charlie Culberson.

“That's a Rubik's Cube,” Woodward said of the lineup shuffle. “It’s a challenge, but I think the commitment from all of the players [is important], because I don’t want these [young] guys up here playing just twice a week. Some guys are going to have to sacrifice a little bit to allow for Duran and Smith to get their playing time. … Being able to navigate it and keeping everybody happy, that's the hardest thing. Trying to figure out that balance and making sure everybody's still in, it's a challenge for us as a staff. It’s such a good group of guys.”

Reactions: DTC

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically speaking, if we had held onto Gibson and everything else stayed the same, a rotation of Perez/Gibson/Gray/Dunning/Otto most likely does put this team in contention for the Wild Card.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it is always possible that the 26 man roster move will be Duran going down to get some OF experience over the next few days.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The astros need a catcher and 1B it seems.
They have some good starters.
Odorizzi is about to begin a rehab assignment and should be back in about 2 weeks.
Valdez, Garcia and Javier all seem like pretty good starting pitchers and are under control for 3 more years.

Wonder what it would take to land one of them?
Assuming Lowe as a definite piece, what other pieces would it require ?

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it is always possible that the 26 man roster move will be Duran going down to get some OF experience over the next few days.
Why even put him on the 26 man. He’s 28 and can’t hit. He has no future hear. If I had to get rid of someone, it would be Culberson.

Reactions: DTC