• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Case for trading Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that I think a lot of bears fans dismiss is trading Fields. I think there is a strong case for it. I’ll lay it out and then take the heat from the haters.

1. Salary- We have the most cap space in the league. Fields plays a position that is very expensive and he will be on the 3rd year of his contract. When we have to pay him, that will be significantly less money to go to the rest of the team. If we can trade him, we get Bryce young (Or maybe even trade back and take someone else) then that clock restarts. A broad idea I have heard and somewhat support is what I call the 0 qb strategy. Basically, use cheap QBs to run the team while building up the team around the QB. I think it’s worth a shot, but would take balls to implement. I would try it until we get a qb like Rodgers, Mahommes, etc. I don’t want to pay a mediocre qb a max qb salary. That hurts the team.

2. Passing- The Fields defenders will say he has no help. And I can agree with that, but I’ve seen this story told many times over the years. I also don’t expect a qb that uses his legs effectively to gain useful game experience passing the ball when he’s running for his life all of the time. Someone like Brady or Peyton Manning had to sit in the pocket and pass the ball. If they didn’t get rid of the ball, it was a sack. Passing was their only option. With fields, he can run at anytime. He’s learning to make a read or two and then run. When he loses his speed, he’s not going to have the proper experience to convert into an elite passer. Then we would be stuck with an expensive QB that can’t pass.

3. Value- I think we could get a first rounder for him this year. His value probably won’t remain that high for long. If we can get a nice haul for him, I say we do it.

Bryce Young has some red flags, most notably stemming from his size. We saw what could happen with that when we had Rex Grossman, but Young seems much more mobile. However, I don’t see Bryce young being much worse than Fields has been (Not that he’s been necessarily that bad).

If we could trade Fields for the 4th pick in the draft and some change, I say we wish fields the best and make the trade. It’s very rare that you can flip a player for a pick that is higher than what you selected the player at.

I’ve said my piece. There might be more arguments I’m missing for fields being traded, so fill them in if you noticed them. I think that should be a scenario that is on the table right now.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with this is we're talking about a solution in search of a problem. Trading Fields at this point would indicate that the Bears feel he's a bust in the making. Why would a team want to trade a valuable 1st round pick for a player whose current team has no faith in him? But let's say for the sake of discussion the Bears are able to trade him to Indy for their 1st (#4) and 'change'. Here's what we'd accomplish:

*We'd lose three valuable spots in the draft order while also losing a starting QB.
*If we use that pick on a QB, would it be for the one targeted by the Bears brass?
*And assuming we use that 4th pick on a QB, we'd now have a rookie who has to learn from scratch, while also missing out on who knows how many other picks we might obtain if we were to trade the #1 instead.
*And what guarantee does our new rookie QB bring to the table?
*The draft capital we'd obtain in trading back from #4 would be significantly less than it would be from #1.....and we'd still be out a starting QB.

Sorry, but it just doesn't add up. Yeah, there have been a bunch of articles suggesting the Bears should look into this, but to me it smacks of writers attempting to create a self fulfilling prophecy than anything based in realism. As for Poles not completely ruling out such a trade, I prefer to use the term rope-a-dope, because that's exactly what it is.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with this is we're talking about a solution in search of a problem. Trading Fields at this point would indicate that the Bears feel he's a bust in the making. Why would a team want to trade a valuable 1st round pick for a player whose current team has no faith in him? But let's say for the sake of discussion the Bears are able to trade him to Indy for their 1st (#4) and 'change'. Here's what we'd accomplish:

*We'd lose three valuable spots in the draft order while also losing a starting QB.
*If we use that pick on a QB, would it be for the one targeted by the Bears brass?
*And assuming we use that 4th pick on a QB, we'd now have a rookie who has to learn from scratch, while also missing out on who knows how many other picks we might obtain if we were to trade the #1 instead.
*And what guarantee does our new rookie QB bring to the table?
*The draft capital we'd obtain in trading back from #4 would be significantly less than it would be from #1.....and we'd still be out a starting QB.

Sorry, but it just doesn't add up. Yeah, there have been a bunch of articles suggesting the Bears should look into this, but to me it smacks of writers attempting to create a self fulfilling prophecy than anything based in realism. As for Poles not completely ruling out such a trade, I prefer to use the term rope-a-dope, because that's exactly what it is.
I get your point about trading him. I still think it could be managed. I bet teams are already calling us to see if he’s available on the DL.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replace Fields with Cutler in that meme and you’ll realize why it’s stupid. Fields hasn’t accomplished anything.

If you were the GM of the Chargers would you be looking to replace Herbert this offseason? He hasn't accomplished anything either.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's trade Fields because he hasn't accomplished anything.

But we want a team to give up a top 5 pick for him....even though he sucks.

And with that pick we will draft a QB......that hasn't accomplished anything.

This "logic" is astounding.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were the GM of the Chargers would you be looking to replace Herbert this offseason? He hasn't accomplished anything either.

While I agree that we should not trade Fields, Herbert's insane completion % along with yardage figures would have Bears fans anointing him as the second coming man. I would trade Fields for him in a heartbeat and I'm fairly certain Ryan Poles would too. San Diego wouldn't dare make that trade though. The comparison is that far off imo.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not into wanting to trade Fields........Get him players.

Why would Poles wanna start over,other than to have a qb that HE actually drafted....but if he did that and JF went on to greener Fields so to speak and his draftee was a bust,that gets him fired and very hard to find another job.....

Colin Cowherd brought up a great point the other day.......(and this is assuming we most likely trade down);

Whatever extra picks we get,we will be getting their no.1 next season,that gives us two......two no.1s,with a better qb class coming out next season,we should be able to right the ship at qb.......

Best idea Ive heard yet......

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue, imo, with Fields is hes a max 2 read QB

Even in college that was the case. It just so happened he had elite 1st round WRs being covered by CBs from Rutgers and Maryland so one of the first 2 reads was typical wide open

But in the NFL where windows are much much tighter being a 1-2 read guy means you're often going to end up touching the ball early and either moving around the pocket ( instead of going through your progressions ) or your going to take off

So while it's ready to say " well he doesn't have any weapons" the truth is that with 1-2 read his it doesnt really matter. You could have 3 all Pro WRs abd if the first one isn't wide open Fields natural instinct is to move. Whether in the pocket or to run

If he can be rewired too not do that he could end up just fine. If he can't be then this is always going to be who he is even with better talent around him

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t want to be the Bears GM right now, that’s for sure.

You guys have the #1 pick in the draft for the first time since 1947, but with a QB class that appears to be underwhelming.

But, you still have a QB that hasn’t improved as a passer, but is great running the ball.

If you stick with Fields and get him “help”, and he doesn’t improve, and 1 or 2 of the QB’s you could’ve drafted do, you get fired for botching the first #1 pick the franchise has had in 76 years.

Trading back makes sense, but then you risk missing out on Carter and/or Williams, 2 generational defensive players.

Maybe one is still available if you trade with Indy assuming both Indy and Houston take QB’s. Any lower than that, and you are passing on a QB of your choice or either defensive stud.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t want to be the Bears GM right now, that’s for sure.

You guys have the #1 pick in the draft for the first time since 1947, but with a QB class that appears to be underwhelming.

But, you still have a QB that hasn’t improved as a passer, but is great running the ball.

If you stick with Fields and get him “help”, and he doesn’t improve, and 1 or 2 of the QB’s you could’ve drafted do, you get fired for botching the first #1 pick the franchise has had in 76 years.

Trading back makes sense, but then you risk missing out on Carter and/or Williams, 2 generational defensive players.

Maybe one is still available if you trade with Indy assuming both Indy and Houston take QB’s. Any lower than that, and you are passing on a QB of your choice or either defensive stud.

This is what I was saying before...Since the Colts ended up 4, we might have been better off at 2 rather than 1 if either Carter or Anderson is in our plans. Having the 1 pick in the books for a QB would give us the ability to trade with another team wanting a QB and guaranteeing one of them at 4. And if one of them was to go at 1 and we were completely sold on the other, we could just pick our guy at 2 and not trade down (not ideal, but if we must have that player, the option is open and guaranteed). Now we have no real assurance where 2 and 3 go if we trade from 1 to 4.

Of course, if we only like 1 of the 2, then this becomes moot if that player is picked at 1...but everything I read is that both are studs.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armed with the very tradeable #1 draft pick along with more than $110m in cap space.......I'd like to be the Bears GM right now, that's for sure.

We go sub .500 next season and non-me meatball fans will lose their sh*t...Gaur...own...teed.

Be ready.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if y'all trade Fields, it's a bone head move. Fields had zero talent around him. That kid can play, will be better than Hurts in a couple of years. Trade down to 3 or 4 overall and then trade down again. Add 4-5 rookie starters and sign some FA help and build around this kid

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that we should not trade Fields, Herbert's insane completion % along with yardage figures would have Bears fans anointing him as the second coming man. I would trade Fields for him in a heartbeat and I'm fairly certain Ryan Poles would too. San Diego wouldn't dare make that trade though. The comparison is that far off imo.

The context was accomplishments.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone didn’t watch any Bears games this season.
Yeah i did

He rarely ever made it to 3 reads and often not even to his 2nd

Its been an issue with him since college and there's plenty of available tape documenting it

It leads to him getting happy feet which in turn leads to him "holding the ball too long" ( which is really just simplified talk for not keeping his eyes downfield because he's too just looking to move in the pocket or find a running lane )

Plenty of examples of Bears being open downfield, especially in the middle of the field where later progressions are, but Justin missing then because his eyes aren't where they're supposed to be

Its ok to be honest about it. Everyone knows it. You can still like Fields without lying to yourself about his weaknesses

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We go sub .500 next season and non-me meatball fans will lose their sh*t...Gaur...own...teed.

Be ready.
Obviously what Poles can pull off in the offseason, both with FA and the draft, will help determine how many wins we get next year. Sure, the meatballs will expect the Lombardi Trophy because they're meatballs. But the vast majority of normal thinkers will understand that this could be a 2-3 year process all told. However, assuming Poles does have a successful period signing some key FAs and performing his due diligence in the draft, I see no reason why we can't shoot for at least 8-9 wins, which would keep us in the playoff hunt for much of the year.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if y'all trade Fields, it's a bone head move. Fields had zero talent around him. That kid can play, will be better than Hurts in a couple of years. Trade down to 3 or 4 overall and then trade down again. Add 4-5 rookie starters and sign some FA help and build around this kid

Right on target.....

Status
Not open for further replies.