• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cap...good or bad for the NFL?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is an odd way to look at it, as spending megabucks on super stars is no guarantee for success. I actually think it would be counterproductive to have too many stars hogging the spotlight. Also, where do you draw the line? no cap would lead to further ballooning of player contracts.
the NHL did away with the nutty contracts, so can football...plus, football isnt guaranteed like other sports, contract wise. players got smart and started getting guaranteed money as a signing bonus more or less.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the salary cap is a big part of what makes the NFL so great. I would hate to see the teams with the richest owners simply dominate free agency. That would put the other teams at a serious disadvantage to compete on the field.

I agree...competitive balance is good for the sport...my biggest problem with the cap it I think they have artificially low and it doesn't reward teams that draft and develop talent...many of their players will get 2nd contracts on other teams.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...competitive balance is good for the sport...my biggest problem with the cap it I think they have artificially low and it doesn't reward teams that draft and develop talent...many of their players will get 2nd contracts on other teams.

Now this is how I view that:

If they draft guys, they should be able to keep them until they no longer want them. All that homework and scouting and should they happen to draft over 2-3 years 5-7 blue chippers, they can't afford to keep them.

So in my world, you draft them, you can pay what is required to keep them.

But you try to go out and buy a team, maybe there should be a limitation? That's as far as I'll go.

A team like the Edmonton Oilers of the 80's would be blown up all over the place because they had 7 or 8 young studs who all blossomed at the same time and were all more or less the same age.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seem to be anti-communism, yet it is OK in sports to level the playing field?

I'm for the cap, but think that it needs to be tweaked and tied to league revenue growth...my only push back on a no capped NFL...it would become more about your financial resources than the talent within the organization...scouting, player personnel, conditioning the whole 9.
So in my world, you draft them, you can pay what is required to keep them.

Any room in your world? That works for me as well.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for the cap, but think that it needs to be tweaked and tied to league revenue growth...my only push back on a no capped NFL...it would become more about your financial resources than the talent within the organization...scouting, player personnel, conditioning the whole 9.

I agree with the highlighted part. The cap isn't a perfect solution, but it's the best one available IMO.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...what parity...?,........I see the same teams "at the dance" every fkkn year......extend the fkkn cap to conform with the times.....!