• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cap...good or bad for the NFL?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does no such thing. All it does is reinforce how injuries to key personal can be devastating.
Not all injuries are the same, though. MLB teams get banged up all of the time but usually patch things together. An NFL team can't patch things together if there is no QB. Its why a cap works in MLB and doesn't work in the NFL. Both systems have flaws but both should be left alone

edit: clearly im not using the word cap right today so im leaving it

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all injuries are the same, though. MLB teams get banged up all of the time but usually patch things together. An NFL team can't patch things together if there is no QB. Its why a cap works in MLB and doesn't work in the NFL. Both systems have flaws but both should be left alone

The MLB has a farm system & long off roster injuries stints to deal with injuries, the NFL doesn't. MLB could easily put in place a hard cap & it would have zero effect on replacement for injuries because of their farm system.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLB has a farm system & long off roster injuries stints to deal with injuries, the NFL doesn't. MLB could easily put in place a hard cap & it would have zero effect on replacement for injuries because of their farm system.
:10:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, the comparison people were bringing up in the beginning of the thread to MLB or NBA isnt valid because they are different sports.

Honestly, I dont even know how people even buy NFL jerseys. The turnaround on NFL players is almost yearly. You can sometimes have a favorite player in MLB and the NBA and your kid can watch them through the years. In the NFL, you are rooting for laundry most of the time

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, the comparison people were bringing up in the beginning of the thread to MLB or NBA isnt valid because they are different sports.

Honestly, I dont even know how people even buy NFL jerseys. The turnaround on NFL players is almost yearly. You can sometimes have a favorite player in MLB and the NBA and your kid can watch them through the years. In the NFL, you are rooting for laundry most of the time

I own 5 Cardinals Jerseys. Fitz, PP, Larry Centers, Jake Plummer, & Aeneas Williams. I still wear all them at different times to games. All drafted by the team. I would never buy a FA jersey.

I also own 3 Dbacks jerseys, Goldschmidt, RJ, & Webb. I still wear them all.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the salary cap is a big part of what makes the NFL so great. I would hate to see the teams with the richest owners simply dominate free agency. That would put the other teams at a serious disadvantage to compete on the field.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap's good for driving competitiveness, everyone under the same roof. Agree with what others have said regarding the fact that throwing money around to build a team of divas does not guarantee success. This applies to all sports. Better to construct talent around dedication to the team effort.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is going nowhere so the whole conversation is pointless.

That being said. I'm about as pro-cap as can be. I'm even more pro-floor. That is the key to the NFL. If the MLB had a minimum floor it would fix a lot of things there too.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap is a big reason the NFL has become the best pro-sports league in the US. The parity keeps all 32 teams healthy and competitive. It's up to the teams to manage it successfully or not. There is no "Yankees" that simply outspend everyone else to buy championships.

With the NBA, the inmates run the asylum. The product sucks, and they have to go to the lengths of fixing games and giving star players special treatment from the refs to hide how badly its run.

A uncapped MLB is a on-going disaster. You could write pages about it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has Oakland and Tampa Bay made the playoffs in the last 10 years? Spending in MLB matters but the league is not nearly as unbalanced as the NFL as of late

If a NFL team can't make it to the playoffs its entirely because of its own bad management, not because of "league imbalance". It's all on the front office. End of story.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is the only thing that keeps the Packers competitive so I am all for it :suds:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a NFL team can't make it to the playoffs its entirely because of its own bad management, not because of "league imbalance". It's all on the front office. End of story.
"League imbalance" is mostly rooted in bad management.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has Oakland and Tampa Bay made the playoffs in the last 10 years? Spending in MLB matters but the league is not nearly as unbalanced as the NFL as of late

Baseball is saved by the parity that exists naturally in its sport. And it also really helps that most of the big spending teams are run by complete buffoons like Cashman lately.

The biggest thing is how long MLB can hold onto players. Most good MLB players don't see FA until 28-31 because teams leverage the years when they are under contract control into a longer deal that gives the player a guaranteed hit the lottery payday at 26 two or three years before they were set to hit the FA market in exchange for not hitting FA till their late 20's/early 30's. That helps the smaller market clubs field better teams.

But what happens next is hilarious. Idiot big market teams bid against themselves and drive up contracts lengths to the point where most big money deals are guaranteed to be a noose around their neck at some point. A team like the Yankees sign a player like Jacoby Elsbury knowing full well that in the final 3 years of that deal it would take a minor miracle for him to be worth even half the amount they will be paying him. The guaranteed 5-7 year contract and the fact that every big spending team in the league is willing to hand them out like candy even for players that aren't truly elite talents keeps the big market teams a lot worse.

This is why MLB has enjoyed a little parity as of late. The big spending teams ilke Boston, the Yankees and others all have had about $100M on their payrolls the last couple of years that is wasting away because they were idiots 3 or 4 years ago when handing out 6 or 7 year deals to guys that could never play at an elite level for the duration of that contract.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah but imagine the depth teams will have that are willing to spend the most money... Your never guaranteed a title, but certain teams willing to spend like crazy every year are gonna be right there... Also teams in smaller markets will just get run over all the time... They might nail draft picks and improve, but the teams with the most money will buy out there players every time when the $ is due ... Players always run to the money...

I'm still OK with no cap.

You need the right players, not the richest.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still OK with no cap.

You need the right players, not the richest.

So you're cool with multi multi billionaire Paul Allen adding Suh, Revis, Demarius Thomas to the Seahawks roster this off season?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
caps are stupid, regardless of the sport. so is revenue sharing.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're cool with multi multi billionaire Paul Allen adding Suh, Revis, Demarius Thomas to the Seahawks roster this off season?

It wouldn't necessarily go that way for certain. Some guys might go all in on one player and pip him out.

You can only have so many guys anyway. Can't sign all the QBs, stud D linemen etc. And I doubt they would.

And many of the "2nd tier" players aren't that far off the top tier.

Let me reiterate, I'm OK with no cap.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seem to be anti-communism, yet it is OK in sports to level the playing field?
it really makes no sense. its capitalism. its free market.

can you imagine if say, apple had to pay IBM because they cant compete?

"we earned this because we're better at what we do, but the govt says we have to give you some so you can stay afloat"

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really makes no sense. its capitalism. its free market.

can you imagine if say, apple had to pay IBM because they cant compete?

"we earned this because we're better at what we do, but the govt says we have to give you some so you can stay afloat"

That is an odd way to look at it, as spending megabucks on super stars is no guarantee for success. I actually think it would be counterproductive to have too many stars hogging the spotlight. Also, where do you draw the line? no cap would lead to further ballooning of player contracts.