• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cap...good or bad for the NFL?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really am staunchly pro-cap. Perhaps that's me being really bitter about Jermaine Dye, Damon, and Carlos Beltran; and Mike Sweeney being surrounded with jack shit... but I am so tired of the same excuses for the Yankees having a payroll well beyond the NFL cap. The Dodgers are what? Over 50M over the NFL cap? It's ridiculous.

I am also ferociously pro-floor...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are MLB teams that don't sniff the playoffs for decades ...
Well, yeah, they let 12 teams in the NFL playoffs. MLB just recently expanded to 10 and was working with 8 for awhile.

Anyways, the cap is good for the NFL. If there was no cap, players would only go to teams with top 10 QBs

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers Payroll: 238,841,005.
NFL Salary Cap: 145,582,600

For giggles, the Dodgers would be 93,258,405 over... just above the payroll of the Rockies; the team with the 17th largest payroll.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has Oakland and Tampa Bay made the playoffs in the last 10 years? Spending in MLB matters but the league is not nearly as unbalanced as the NFL as of late

I'd have to put myself in favor of the cap. Everybody has the same money and I love the strategy invovled. Sure some franchises lead by the incompetent will suffer, but I doubt that would change with lifting the cap. Most likely get worse.
Yeah it sucks losing a stud, because some team has the money and need to over pay, but it's all part of the art of winning. I think the cap is great.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah, they let 12 teams in the NFL playoffs. MLB just recently expanded to 10 and was working with 8 for awhile.

Anyways, the cap is good for the NFL. If there was no cap, players would only go to teams with top 10 QBs

Or just run to the highest bidder ... Like they do now... BUT the highest bidder would only be certain teams with massive budgets... It's like all the stars that run to the Yankees in the past...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to put myself in favor of the cap. Everybody has the same money and I love the strategy invovled. Sure some franchises lead by the incompetent will suffer, but I doubt that would change with lifting the cap. Most likely get worse.
Yeah it sucks losing a stud, because some team has the money and need to over pay, but it's all part of the art of winning. I think the cap is great.
The current best strategy is to draft well and have as many good players on their first contract as possible and hope you have a good QB and coaching staff. Its pretty ruthless but it does add strategy to football. Baseball has a lot of strategy built in. Football is often about attrition and having balls

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current best strategy is to draft well and have as many good players on their first contract as possible and hope you have a good QB and coaching staff. Its pretty ruthless but it does add strategy to football. Baseball has a lot of strategy built in. Football is often about attrition and having balls

True ... You can keep certain stars in your budget, but you have to bring in young studs in the draft that don't eat your cap alive... Then pick and choose who you part way's with ...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who dont watch mlb shouldnt talk about mlb. the royals were in the ws last year

Sure 1 or 2 small market teams get in the playoffs every year, but their window for success is usually a lot smaller than teams that can spend $170+ mil every season. The room for error & the ability to spend your way out of any error is what separates free spenders from small market teams. Unlimited spending keeps some teams relevant for a playoff spot every year & other team's window closed after a year or two.

In the NFL, every year, every team has the same basic opportunity. You can't say that about MLB or the NBA.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NFL, every team has the same opportunity. You can't say that about MLB or the NBA.
Single game elimination is what drives parity in the NFL. If MLB or NBA were single game elimination then they'd have more parity, too.

To balance the NFL, you'd need contraction to about 15 teams. There aren't enough Qbs and they can swing team efficiency by 30-40%

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Single game elimination is what drives parity in the NFL. If MLB or NBA were single game elimination then they'd have more parity, too.

To balance the NFL, you'd need contraction to about 15 teams. There aren't enough Qbs and they can swing team efficiency by 30-40%
QBs are obviously the key, but that where good FO comes in. The Cards have done a super job of finding a QB that works, even without the drafting a franchise QB. That is example IMO of why the NFL cap is great and it's about a good run organization having a advantage that has nothing to due with how rich the owner is. Shoot Allen is loaded, he has more bucks then other owner, but I'm still in favor of the cap. With a even playing field, it's about good judgement not how you can out spend others. What could be better?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me the nfl should hold teams to the contracts they sign like baseball . so when a player like laundry for the colts was a bust they should have to live up to the contract except for the susp .

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That doesn't change the fact that every NFL team is under the same constraints. What separates them is the quality of the people hired to run those franchises. In the MLB, not all teams are equal, some teams can just spend their way into contention every year.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me the nfl should hold teams to the contracts they sign like baseball . so when a player like laundry for the colts was a bust they should have to live up to the contract except for the susp .

No. One hundred percent guaranteed contracts in a contact sport like the NFL where attrition is part of the equation, would kill teams under our current salary cap system.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't change the fact that every NFL team is under the same constraints. What separates them is the quality of the people hired to run those franchises. In the MLB, not all teams are equal, some teams can just spend their way into contention every year.

Bingo! Sucks for fans stuck with a crappy FO, but tough shit. This is the way to go.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Cardinals are a great example of a team that is very well run, very well coached and looked godawful in the playoffs without a QB.

I'm for the cap, too, for exactly that reason. Players know how important QB play is

edit: typo

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Cardinals are a great example of a team that is very well run, very well coached and looked godawful in the playoffs without a QB.

I'm against the cap, too, for exactly that reason. Players know how important QB play is

The Cardinals had a QB, two in fact. You can't account for injuries. No team in the NFL can plan to field 3 QB(s). The comparison is meaningless.

Let me know how many of the recent SB teams had to field their 2nd or 3rd string QB. Or how many of them would have made the SB without their starting QB. Can you Imagine the Patriots or Seahawks making the SB with their clipboard QB leading the team?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals had a QB, two in fact. You can't account for injuries. No team in the NFL can plan to field 3 QB(s). The comparison is meaningless.
It illustrates the importance of a franchise QB. That is in no way meaningless.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really am staunchly pro-cap. Perhaps that's me being really bitter about Jermaine Dye, Damon, and Carlos Beltran; and Mike Sweeney being surrounded with jack shit... but I am so tired of the same excuses for the Yankees having a payroll well beyond the NFL cap. The Dodgers are what? Over 50M over the NFL cap? It's ridiculous.

I am also ferociously pro-floor...

I think the Dodgers surpassed the Yankees with the highest payroll. At least they were higher last year

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It illustrates the importance of a franchise QB. That is in no way meaningless.

It does no such thing. All it does is reinforce how injuries to key personal can be devastating. The outcome would have been the same regardless if the QB was deemed a "franchise QB" or just a veteran game manager.