• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bears 2024 offseason thread

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did this song and dance ALL LAST SEASON. "Trade down 1-2 spots and get Carter/Anderson blah blah blah."

Nothing even close to that happened.

My guess is that this season is the same.

Some sh*t is gonna come out of left field.
and even when it happened we were all like, "Who is Darnell Wright?" Not even the top tackle on the board, most experts had him to be picked in the 20's.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came up thru McVay, which is becoming a very healthy branch off the Shanahan coaching tree.

Minny, GB, and Cincy seem pretty happy with their McVay offensive coach hires.
yeah, but last time we got Martz and the west coast offense, then stuck with Cutler, I really dont want to hear about it anymore.

Now they are talking about possibly bringing ex bear Chris Harris in as defensive coordianator. Thats a solid hire, a guy that can run this system. I wish they would talk to Singletary again, or Mike Brown, that was a smart player. I am guessing nobody can talk Doug Plank away from that highschool team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to clarify....drafting a QB and calling him elite is dumb. But doing the same for a center.....is smart?
I doubt there's any Bears fan who doesn't realize the need for a center, it should definitely be high on the team's priority list. But there is simply no way Poles is going to use either 1st round pick on one. He'll either sign one in free agency, which is my hope, or wait until no earlier than his 3rd pick.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt there's any Bears fan who doesn't realize the need for a center, it should definitely be high on the team's priority list. But there is simply no way Poles is going to use either 1st round pick on one. He'll either sign one in free agency, which is my hope, or wait until no earlier than his 3rd pick.

There's absolutely no doubt we need a center.

Just pointing out the odd logic.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's absolutely no doubt we need a center.

Just pointing out the odd logic.
I know, I was backing up your take. Yes, we need a center, and frankly we need one badly. But no, it won't be with one of our two 1st round picks.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I was backing up your take. Yes, we need a center, and frankly we need one badly. But no, it won't be with one of our two 1st round picks.

If we are going with a rookie QB it would be awesome to have a quality veteran at center. But not sure what will be available.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ragnow was a mid first rounder, I doubt Detroit fans feel it was wasted. Humphries was 63rd overall. We have no second round pick as of now. Nobody thinks we get more than a second for Fields, that could go to the center. We had Hilgenberg, we had Kreutz, this free agent hodgepodge has not worked. Our line is based on players who have 1, 2 and 3 years experience. I cant see a mesh with some 6th or later year free agent that might be available.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are going with a rookie QB it would be awesome to have a quality veteran at center. But not sure what will be available.
Center free agents:
Thanks buddy, you beat me to it.

While Connor Williams was originally my top choice, that ACL injury he suffered takes him off my list. Right now LLoyd Cushenberry and Andre James top my list of wanna-sign. And I'm definitely leaning way more toward a veteran vs rookie center, and that's regardless of whether or not we go with a rookie QB, altho I agree it would make inking a vet even more urgent if we do go with a rook taking the snaps.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ragnow was a mid first rounder, I doubt Detroit fans feel it was wasted. Humphries was 63rd overall. We have no second round pick as of now. Nobody thinks we get more than a second for Fields, that could go to the center. We had Hilgenberg, we had Kreutz, this free agent hodgepodge has not worked. Our line is based on players who have 1, 2 and 3 years experience. I cant see a mesh with some 6th or later year free agent that might be available.
And Ragnow is one of those rare centers who merited a 1st round pick. I don't care what the critics say about Jason Kelce being tops, Ragnow is the best center in the NFL, period. But there's no one in this year's draft worthy of such a high pick.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Ragnow is one of those rare centers who merited a 1st round pick. I don't care what the critics say about Jason Kelce being tops, Ragnow is the best center in the NFL, period. But there's no one in this year's draft worthy of such a high pick.

Not only that...there's a plethora of talent at positions such as WR that is going to push guys at other positions down the board. There are going to be some offensive lineman going in the 3rd and 4th rounds that in other years would have been 2nd round picks because of the depth at other areas of this draft.

Clamoring for a center at a high pick is just ignoring what reality is.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We better get a center this offseason (not at picks 1 or 9 of the draft…but somewhere). If we don’t that is just infuriating. Last year they could fall back on the “too many holes for one offseason” excuse. That well has run dry after another sh*t season of interior oline play.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them trade back from their second pick and use that pick on a center. It depends on how they feel about the first round prospects. I think we are all hoping for two elite offensive players, but if the front office doesn’t like any of the players at 8, they would probably trade back.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its more of if they think they can still get their guy if they move 9, just like if they think they can still get Harrison if they trade down to 4 since all these experts are saying its Williams, Maye and Daniels 1-3.

That Raiders possibly fishing Crosby for the number 1 is something to consider, but considering the haul we got from Carolina last year, I cannot see it happening. Their first pick is 44, which is in line with where some people will accept choosing a center and not being "wasted too high". But unless you are also getting Davonte Adams in that deal, they dont have the draft capital to do it. You also just blew up your cap.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders are not fishing Crosby for the #1 pick. Those are fan made scenarios with no tie to reality.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders are interviewing Getsy.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this comment from the Bernstein & Holmes show @ 670 the score fascinating. Both Nagy and Getsy had hof qb's to give their system success. Waldron has had success with his system with average QB's.

Hmmm.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this comment from the Bernstein & Holmes show @ 670 the score fascinating. Both Nagy and Getsy had hof qb's to give their system success. Waldron has had success with his system with average QB's.

Hmmm.
I dont even think their system comes into play. Both were running the offensive system of their head coaches. Reid and Lafleur. Lafleur was OC of the rams, but did not call plays, just like Nagy did not call plays his first stint with the chiefs. LaFleur left the rams and McVay to go to the Titans just because he could call his own plays, Nagy also took the head coaching job with us and personally I thought he did so he could call his own plays. Getsy never called plays for the Packers.

You notice Reid is calling plays for Mahomes again, but both Mahomes and Rodgers were audible happy QB's. The packers bought the super bowl winning offense of the rams, the bears bought the super bowl winning offense of the chiefs, not the coaches systems.