• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ACC Thread

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I think they've already decided to seed the teams for the ACCT by winning percentage.

My friend, please tell me if you feel the same way or differently:

I realize that both Duke and Kentucky are known for having a lot of 1 and done players but I just lost some respect for Jalen Johnson for walking away as a 1/2 and done player. To me, when he was signed he committed himself to Duke, Coach K, and his teammates for at least 1 full season and now he has decided to just walk away to get NBA ready. To me, this sounds like selfishness at a time when Duke needs him most. I know, Coach K used the standard line that all coaches use in a situation like this with "we wish him the best in the future" but this just doesn't sound right to me.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My friend, please tell me if you feel the same way or differently:

I realize that both Duke and Kentucky are known for having a lot of 1 and done players but I just lost some respect for Jalen Johnson for walking away as a 1/2 and done player. To me, when he was signed he committed himself to Duke, Coach K, and his teammates for at least 1 full season and now he has decided to just walk away to get NBA ready. To me, this sounds like selfishness at a time when Duke needs him most. I know, Coach K used the standard line that all coaches use in a situation like this with "we wish him the best in the future" but this just doesn't sound right to me.
If I had to rank our OADs, starting with Kyrie Irving in 2010... Really how fondly I remember them, more than anything.

1. Zion - A BEAST.
2. Tyus Jones - Stones. Great PG and hit the biggest shots.
3. Justise Winslow - We don't win the title without his lockdown D and 40% 3 pt shooting. Came up huge especially in the Houston regional.
4. Kyrie Irving - Only getting 11 games out of him will always anger me. Ranked this high due to how elite he was pre-injury.
5. Marvin Bagley - I know his defense was awful and his fit questionable, but I enjoyed him a lot. He could rack up those 30 point, 20 rebound statlines.
6. Brandon Ingram - He and the 2016 team were fun. No real complaints.
7. Wendell Carter - Anchor on the inside. If only he hadn't choked that layup against Kansas.
8. Jason Tatum - Fun player especially in the ISO game, but his team decidedly wasn't.
9. Vernon Carey - THE BIG HOSS!
10. Austin Rivers - The Shot at the Riverdome in Chapel Hill
11. RJ Barrett - Disappointment relative to expectations, but he did have some monster games.
12. Cassius Stanley - I enjoyed his ridiculous athleticism.
13. Jahlil Okafor - Has the best footwork but the least amount of star mobility, but made the most of it winning a Championship.
14. Jabari Parker - He played no defense and 2014 was a disgusting mess, so I don't have many good memories.
15. Gary Trent Jr. - Great shooter who was the missing piece from the 2019 team.
16. Cam Reddish - I was expecting a 38-40% 3 point shooter who could dribble the basketball. Those 3s against FSU and UCF were memorable at least.
17. Trevon Duval - Mistake prone player who couldn't shoot, part of the clusterfuck the PG position has been in the non-Jones seasons.
18. Harry Giles - Destroyed by injuries, shame. Always played hard and seemed like a good guy, but one of our least impactful OADs.
19. Frank Jackson - I still forget he played for Duke sometimes.
20. Jalen Johnson- Disappointing to say the least of my OAD favorites. I believe his Father made that call.

Hard to believe that Duke has had 20 OADs since 2010.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16. Cam Reddish - I was expecting a 38-40% 3 point shooter who could dribble the basketball. Those 3s against FSU and UCF were memorable at least.
I think that was the last ACC home game we lost. We’re 2 away from tying Duke’s record of 26 consecutive ACC home victories.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to rank our OADs, starting with Kyrie Irving in 2010... Really how fondly I remember them, more than anything.

1. Zion - A BEAST.
3. Justise Winslow - We don't win the title without his lockdown D and 40% 3 pt shooting. Came up huge especially in the Houston regional.
4. Kyrie Irving - Only getting 11 games out of him will always anger me. Ranked this high due to how elite he was pre-injury.
5. Marvin Bagley - I know his defense was awful and his fit questionable, but I enjoyed him a lot. He could rack up those 30 point, 20 rebound statlines.
7. Wendell Carter - Anchor on the inside. If only he hadn't choked that layup against Kansas.
8. Jason Tatum - Fun player especially in the ISO game, but his team decidedly wasn't.
11. RJ Barrett - Disappointment relative to expectations, but he did have some monster games.
13. Jahlil Okafor - Has the best footwork but the least amount of star mobility, but made the most of it winning a Championship.
14. Jabari Parker - He played no defense and 2014 was a disgusting mess, so I don't have many good memories.
15. Gary Trent Jr. - Great shooter who was the missing piece from the 2019 team.
17. Trevon Duval - Mistake prone player who couldn't shoot, part of the clusterfuck the PG position has been in the non-Jones seasons.
18. Harry Giles - Destroyed by injuries, shame. Always played hard and seemed like a good guy, but one of our least impactful OADs.
20. Jalen Johnson- Disappointing to say the least of my OAD favorites. I believe his Father made that call.

You certainly named a list of good to great OAD players for Duke since 2010. I don't have a clue so tell me if you know how many OAD players Kentucky has had since 2010. My guess is that it is much more than 20.

Concerning Jalen Johnson, it sounds like we are close to being on the same page as far as him walking away from the Duke program. It just doesn't sound fair to me about what he has done that affect so many. Perhaps you're right that his father made that call which is something I haven't thought about. Don't you think the NCAA should implement a rule that states if a player signs with any college team it must be for a minimum of 2 years, or something like that? I know, it would be a hard rule to enforce but it sure sounds like something should be done for the good of the college game. Your thoughts?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You certainly named a list of good to great OAD players for Duke since 2010. I don't have a clue so tell me if you know how many OAD players Kentucky has had since 2010. My guess is that it is much more than 20.

Concerning Jalen Johnson, it sounds like we are close to being on the same page as far as him walking away from the Duke program. It just doesn't sound fair to me about what he has done that affect so many. Perhaps you're right that his father made that call which is something I haven't thought about. Don't you think the NCAA should implement a rule that states if a player signs with any college team it must be for a minimum of 2 years, or something like that? I know, it would be a hard rule to enforce but it sure sounds like something should be done for the good of the college game. Your thoughts?

I'm not one with a whole bunch of answers considering the OAD rules. If a kid is good enough to go straight to the NBA from high school and earn a living then he should be able to do that. Who am I to say he cannot go? But it's part and parcel of the NBA rules and they have all the money and power to push any and all standards and rules to their liking.

As far as Jalen Johnson, after watching the Wake Forest game it is very apparent he was a cancer and Duke Basketball did an emergency surgery to take him out.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Zion - A BEAST.

i feel like i watch a solid bit of ACC basketball, but I hardly remember any of these guys

OAD is killing college basketball. thank you NBA!

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel like i watch a solid bit of ACC basketball, but I hardly remember any of these guys

OAD is killing college basketball. thank you NBA!

Can't say that I hate the OAD. If a guy thinks he can make it in the NBA then who am I to hold him back and say whoa, you need to wait a year? It's a decision he and his family have to make and then live with.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not one with a whole bunch of answers considering the OAD rules. If a kid is good enough to go straight to the NBA from high school and earn a living then he should be able to do that. Who am I to say he cannot go? But it's part and parcel of the NBA rules and they have all the money and power to push any and all standards and rules to their liking.

As far as Jalen Johnson, after watching the Wake Forest game it is very apparent he was a cancer and Duke Basketball did an emergency surgery to take him out.

Good analysis. I'm not one with a whole bunch of answers either when it comes to the OAD rules but I think you nailed it with the NBA having the power and money to dictate their own rules. I guess we just play on for now and until some kind of rule changes take place in the future.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't say that I hate the OAD. If a guy thinks he can make it in the NBA then who am I to hold him back and say whoa, you need to wait a year? It's a decision he and his family have to make and then live with.

Interesting and particularly with only one state west of the Mississippi River being listed on the chart.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be for the Kansas Jayhawks.

I realize that even though they are only slightly west of the Mississippi River. This could change this year by adding either California or Texas to the map even though I know you are not sold on Gonzaga or Baylor. I'm not sold on any team with all of this COVID and cancellation of games going on since usually by this time of the season teams have about 25 games in the book.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke Men’s Basketball takes on the Clemson University Tigers in the first half at the Cameron Indoor Stadium on January 30, 2020 at Durham, North Carolina.

My guy Mark Williams, key to success against the Cavs tonight.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NC State is currently ahead of UVA in what would be a big win.

Since I'm likely moving to Raleigh in the next 6-12 months, let's go Pack

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and NC State wins 68-61

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tomcat1 congrats on your win. I haven’t been able to watch many games this year due to work and not having ACC Network so I missed this one as well. Don’t know what’s happening with this team this year.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tomcat1 congrats on your win. I haven’t been able to watch many games this year due to work and not having ACC Network so I missed this one as well. Don’t know what’s happening with this team this year.

Thanks man but I've got to tell that I can't figure out sports or my favorite teams anymore. Maybe I'll figure it out better if we ever get back close to normal with the COVID behind us. For example, NC State seems to beat teams they are not suppose to beat and lose to teams they are suppose to beat much too often. Your Cavs are still a good team that will be in the NCAA Tournament while my Wolfies will be at home watching.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU just needs to win 2 of these last 3 games to clinch their 2nd consecutive Regular Season ACC Championship.