• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 18 Hole Commitment

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't played golf in a long time. I suck so bad at it that I called it a day some years back. But I would be pretty shocked if somebody rolled by rocking tunes in their golf cart while I was playing. I would get over it because in the end I don't care and the most silent of silences couldn't save my game, but it is most definitely rude and out of place.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the traditionalists on here crack me up.

I have been playing for a good part of my life and I think a full round of golf is just inconvenient. It takes too fucking long, even if it is just 4 hrs. It is a commitment that a lot of people just don't have time for.

and don't get me wrong, I love playing 18 holes when I have time. But there are times I am finsihing up 15 and like "fuck I still have 3 more holes before I can get a hot dog"

Nothing to do with tradition for me. I just like playing. I'm generally pretty bushed after 18 these days, but we used to jump around and play as many as we could until it got dark back in the day.

If you've had enough after 15, you must not enjoy the game very much. I've had the same feeling, but it was only because I was playing very poorly that day.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to do with tradition for me. I just like playing. I'm generally pretty bushed after 18 these days, but we used to jump around and play as many as we could until it got dark back in the day.
I generally do that as well, but I have been playing for years.

but getting a younger generation into the game, you have to evolve.

the 18 hole option is still out there for you, no one is taking that away from you.

but giving the option of something other than 9 holes or 18 holes would be beneficial.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't played golf in a long time. I suck so bad at it that I called it a day some years back. But I would be pretty shocked if somebody rolled by rocking tunes in their golf cart while I was playing. I would get over it because in the end I don't care and the most silent of silences couldn't save my game, but it is most definitely rude and out of place.
might be better suited in this thread

Reactions: gob

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm VP and tournament director for my golf club. Our tournaments always start at the beginning of the day. This time of year its 7:30 here in AZ
Not much of a choice there in AZ.

I played a course there years ago ..River rock I think its called. It's was 112 degrees going into the club house.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure thing, Judge Smails
giphy.gif

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might be better suited in this thread

No thanks...but thanks to this thread I may take the kids to go play angry birds at that top golf place one day...

Reactions: ill

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally do that as well, but I have been playing for years.

but getting a younger generation into the game, you have to evolve.

the 18 hole option is still out there for you, no one is taking that away from you.

but giving the option of something other than 9 holes or 18 holes would be beneficial.

A 9 hole option is always available anywhere I've played. So that's nothing new. As for anything less than 9, most golf courses are not equipped for that. 1 & 10 tees are often the only ones near the clubhouse and managing people teeing off on 10 with those making the turn is already a bit cumbersome.

Having even more options.. well I don't care but it would tend to complicate things for course management. Let's say you pay for 6. Is someone standing on the 7th tee making sure you've paid for more than 6? You can always simply walk in after 6. Nobody is making you play more.

But as far as "growing the game", I'm not really interested in changing the game to grow it. There are already far too many out there too ignorant or unconcerned about the etiquette of play... and by that I mean just keep it moving and if you're holding up the play of others, move aside and let them play though.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I played a course there years ago ..River rock I think its called. It's was 112 degrees going into the club house.

Yup. The only time I tee off before noon is when I play in AZ. My body doesn't start fully functioning until around 11am, though... not a morning person.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll chalk it up to you're young. I used to think that way too.. just blast it and dgaf who likes it or not. It's just rude, though.
I don't blast it. It's loud enough that I can hear it from the tee box, but that's about it

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 9 hole option is always available anywhere I've played. So that's nothing new. As for anything less than 9, most golf courses are not equipped for that. 1 & 10 tees are often the only ones near the clubhouse and managing people teeing off on 10 with those making the turn is already a bit cumbersome.

Having even more options.. well I don't care but it would tend to complicate things for course management. Let's say you pay for 6. Is someone standing on the 7th tee making sure you've paid for more than 6? You can always simply walk in after 6. Nobody is making you play more.

But as far as "growing the game", I'm not really interested in changing the game to grow it. There are already far too many out there too ignorant or unconcerned about the etiquette of play... and by that I mean just keep it moving and if you're holding up the play of others, move aside and let them play though.
so the question becomes, should new courses consider this design option?

and I like I have said, it is all engrained in us who have been playing that there are 2 options, 18 holes or 9 holes...

but what if there were more options?

I know, scary, right?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Haha

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the question becomes, should new courses consider this design option?

Sure if they perceive that there's a market for it. It could be an expensive design consideration and mistake if there isn't, though.

and I like I have said, it is all engrained in us who have been playing that there are 2 options, 18 holes or 9 holes...

It takes < than 2 hours to play 9. What leisure activity takes much less than 2 hours? But sure, if courses want to sell 6, 3 or even 1 hole rounds, I don't care. That's up to them.

but what if there were more options?

I know, scary, right?

Not in the least. You're implying a position I don't hold.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Places like Top Golf have already satisfied the market for people who basically just want to dick around, get drunk & party with their friends while they hit balls.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Places like Top Golf have already satisfied the market for people who basically just want to dick around, get drunk & party with their friends while they hit balls.
but what about the people who want to graduate from driving range games to actual golf?

you guys are acting very elitist here.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but what about the people who want to graduate from driving range games to actual golf?

you guys are acting very elitist here.

What about them? Play 9 holes. If that's too much, leave when you've had enough.

I don't know what you're considering "elitist", but all I ask is that people keep it moving along out there.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The elevation is 5000 feet where we live. Hot in the summer, about 90, but we get some snow in the winter. Usually can play almost every day of the year but its really windy, March through May.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ironic

someone proposes a way to make the game more accessible to the masses and you come in here whining but call someone else a whiner.

hilarious.
We don't want the masses. The Tigerization of the game has brought a whole new breed of idiots to the game; guys that don't respect the game or its etiquette. You never used to meet a guy you didn't like on the golf course, now there are all kinds of foul-mouthed idiots out there driving their carts everywhere and yelling and screaming

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about them? Play 9 holes. If that's too much, leave when you've had enough.

I don't know what you're considering "elitist", but all I ask is that people keep it moving along out there.
Yep; and learn the etiquette and rules of acceptable behavior

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep; and learn the etiquette and rules of acceptable behavior

I'm pretty easy going about everything except for pace of play. Keep up or move aside and let faster groups play though. That's pretty much all I ask of others on the course.

Don't hit into other groups would be another thing. Aside from that, have a blast.