• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your best and worst holes of the year

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been playing terrible golf this year, my distance sucks, I'm not striking the ball well..etc.etc.etc.

Today my wife and i are playing just a few holes for practice. I had her watch several swings, were my hands too high, are my hands in front of the ball at impact, etc, etc. Hands were low, and in front of the ball.

Still hitting like shit. On the last hole I take a nine from the rough, 130 yds slightly elevated green, I come up short...what the fuck.

Go to hit another ball that is on the other side of the fairway...I'm playing multiple balls...and BOOM, it hits me.

For some reason i thought of the comments the commentators were talking about at the PGA, how Koepka and Rory's swing speed were the same, but there was a difference in hip rotation.

I checked my hip rotation and it was matching my shoulder turn, no torque. I think i started doing this to protect my back with the two protruding disks on one side a piriformis syndrome on the other.

Went back to where i had hit the nine iron from in the rough. Pulled out my pitching wedge, and sailed the green with three balls, one hit off the shed roof that's about 15 yards behind the green.

Hopefully limiting my hip rotation will be the only thing I need to think about in my back swing instead of everything else.

and the funny thing is, my back felt better swinging like that then trying to protect it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had the good fortune of playing a nice private track last week.

TPC Sugarloaf

42-45

tpc8.JPG

There are 27 holes there...we played the Pine and Meadows 9s...

#8 on Pine...(in pic) 518 yds (white tees) is a rather short par 5. I hit a good drive and only had 210 or so to the front of the green, but a creek runs parallel to the hole and crosses in front of the green...trees left, so I thought it best to lay up...hit my best wedge of the yr to 3' and made the putt for a birdie 4. That came on the heels of 4 straight pars to offset some of the damage I did on the 1st 3 holes...lol. #9 on the Meadows is the same finishing hole the tour players play...554 yds...made 6 on that one...pin was tucked front right up against the water...afraid of the H20, I bailed into the bunker right of the green and couldn't get up and down.

Conditions were outstanding...if you just hit the FW, you get 20-30 yds of roll and the greens were like glass, and they got me several times...I'm guessing, but our home course greens are pretty quick and they are normally running about 10 or 11...I'm thinking these were rolling at least 12 on a stimp….uphill 30 footers was a little more than a tap.

The member (a friend of my buddy) we played with is a cool dude, said let him know when we wanted to come back. A buck 50 guess fee is a lot more than I normally pay, but I would gladly do it again.

@NEhomer...I got a little taste of what you're probably playing on every week. Well, when you get back out there.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had the good fortune of playing a nice private track last week.

TPC Sugarloaf

42-45

View attachment 205761

There are 27 holes there...we played the Pine and Meadows 9s...

#8 on Pine...(in pic) 518 yds (white tees) is a rather short par 5. I hit a good drive and only had 210 or so to the front of the green, but a creek runs parallel to the hole and crosses in front of the green...trees left, so I thought it best to lay up...hit my best wedge of the yr to 3' and made the putt for a birdie 4. That came on the heels of 4 straight pars to offset some of the damage I did on the 1st 3 holes...lol. #9 on the Meadows is the same finishing hole the tour players play...554 yds...made 6 on that one...pin was tucked front right up against the water...afraid of the H20, I bailed into the bunker right of the green and couldn't get up and down.

Conditions were outstanding...if you just hit the FW, you get 20-30 yds of roll and the greens were like glass, and they got me several times...I'm guessing, but our home course greens are pretty quick and they are normally running about 10 or 11...I'm thinking these were rolling at least 12 on a stimp….uphill 30 footers was a little more than a tap.

The member (a friend of my buddy) we played with is a cool dude, said let him know when we wanted to come back. A buck 50 guess fee is a lot more than I normally pay, but I would gladly do it again.

@NEhomer...I got a little taste of what you're probably playing on every week. Well, when you get back out there.

I got a little taste of what you're probably playing on every week. Well, when you get back out there

What I've found to be a challenge on our similarly quick greens is hitting the precise mid-point on long undulating putts. If you miss the mid point, it can make a difference of several feet where the putt ends up.

...and yeah, my course has beautiful conditioning but it ain't a TPC track! Congrats on getting to play it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a little taste of what you're probably playing on every week. Well, when you get back out there

What I've found to be a challenge on our similarly quick greens is hitting the precise mid-point on long undulating putts. If you miss the mid point, it can make a difference of several feet where the putt ends up.

...and yeah, my course has beautiful conditioning but it ain't a TPC track! Congrats on getting to play it.

Oh yeah...these greens had a lot of movement...some putts breaking 4 or 5' and line was extremely critical....especially if you missed low...the roll out would take a putt that I was expecting to finish about 3-4'...they finish 6 to 8'.

I 4 putted the 2nd hole for dbl after a GIR...lol but after a few holes I got the speed down and chipping...at my course I use my 52 deg wedge a lot...there I was using my 56 mostly and even the 60 a few times.

I'd played the TPC several times in the past, but it had been a while....but I've learned it doesn't have to be a TPC to have great conditions...there is a little private course about 5 mins from the office here. Berkeley Lake CC, the fairways were not as pristine and fast as the fairways at the TPC, but the greens were probably pretty close to equal in pace and condition. I've thought about joining it, but I'm content with the semi-private for now.

I see where some of the members money goes at the TPC...every bathroom on the course looks like it could be in a Hyatt Regency and there are coolers filled with iced down Dasani, apples, bananas, nice.