• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 18 Hole Commitment

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty easy going about everything except for pace of play. Keep up or move aside and let faster groups play though. That's pretty much all I ask of others on the course.

Don't hit into other groups would be another thing. Aside from that, have a blast.
My feelings exactly. Otherwise enjoy yourself out there. Just don’t inflict yourself on others. If you are playing poorly don’t ruin it for the others in your foursome by constant whining or poor behavior

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feelings exactly. Otherwise enjoy yourself out there. Just don’t inflict yourself on others. If you are playing poorly don’t ruin it for the others in your foursome by constant whining or poor behavior

I think that's the thing non-golfers don't understand about golf. Your behavior out there can negatively impact others, unlike other sports like bowling, for example, where it doesn't matter at all what the guy a couple of lanes over is doing.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the thing non-golfers don't understand about golf. Your behavior out there can negatively impact others, unlike other sports like bowling, for example, where it doesn't matter at all what the guy a couple of lanes over is doing.
it impacts those who are stuck in "tradition" and unwilling to budge.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golf is a sport and there are rules and guidelines as with any other sport.

If you joined a pickup basketball game and decided it would be fun to see how far you could punt the ball every time it came to you, I don't think that would go over very well with the other players on the court. Playing golf is the same deal. It isn't just about you.

Last edited:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, so many of these pitfalls come later in the day. My tee times are never later than 6:30am. Me and my crew see golf as a different sport after 10:30am.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you like to cite examples so perhaps we could discuss them or are drive-by generalities going to be your MO in this one?
" drive-by generalities"

I like it. I'm going to send you a $1 every time I use it.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, so many of these pitfalls come later in the day. My tee times are never later than 6:30am. Me and my crew see golf as a different sport after 10:30am.

I wish I could. It would be nice to play and then have the whole day in front of me. But I am not a morning person and my body doesn't start to fully function until around 11am. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've played well after an early morning tee time.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you like to cite examples so perhaps we could discuss them or are drive-by generalities going to be your MO in this one?
getting mad about playing music on the course for one. I think that is stupid to get mad about.

but I also don't get mad about newbies coming out on the course and hacking all over the place. Best to just be patient with them. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I agree that they should know when it's time to pick up and move to the next hole though. New players need help, not to be chased off because they pissed off some member who was angry for being slowed down on their round.

that's not anything new...but just don't be a dick.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golf is a sport and there are rules and guidelines as with any other sport.

If you joined a pickup basketball game and decided it would be fun to see how far you could punt the ball every time it came to you, I don't think that would go over very well with the other players on the court. Playing golf is the same deal. It isn't just about you.
No, you set the individual rules/guidelines with the people you're playing basketball with (like you would with your foursome). Not every pickup game plays by the same rules. When you're out playing ball, you don't have a clock, track fouls, etc. Hell, most pickup games use different scoring than real games.

But in golf, it's always YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS WAY

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting mad about playing music on the course for one. I think that is stupid to get mad about.

but I also don't get mad about newbies coming out on the course and hacking all over the place. Best to just be patient with them. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I agree that they should know when it's time to pick up and move to the next hole though. New players need help, not to be chased off because they pissed off some member who was angry for being slowed down on their round.

The most impatient people you will find is your average joe blow playing on a city course.
I know, that is all I ever play on.

You are in full support of playing just 9 holes because people don't just have the time for 18 anymore and yet you want people to stand at the tee for 14 minutes waiting to hit because its the right thing to do.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most impatient people you will find is your average joe blow playing on a city course.
I know, that is all I ever play on.

You are in full support of playing just 9 holes because people don't just have the time for 18 anymore and yet you want people to stand at the tee for 14 minutes waiting to hit because its the right thing to do.

there is a limit obviously. If you are waiting that long, the group should know the rules on letting others play through.

and I have had members get uppity because they think they are entitled on a public course.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you set the individual rules/guidelines with the people you're playing basketball with (like you would with your foursome). Not every pickup game plays by the same rules. When you're out playing ball, you don't have a clock, track fouls, etc. Hell, most pickup games use different scoring than real games.

Me & my crew decided last year we would not pull the pin anymore.

Our local course has a first 3 fairway rule. Free drop if you don't get it in the fairway first 3 holes, It's great and gets the groups out quick.

So I don't know what you are talking about

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and I think that it's rude to think others should have to listen to my music... and ftr that's not juts on the course, that's pretty much anywhere. That's what earbuds are for. I like all kinds of music and I like to play it loud. But there's a time, place and a manner for that.

I've no problem with newbies coming out on the course and hacking all over the place. As I said, just don't hit into the group in front of you and if you're holding up the group behind you, allow them to play through. That's it.

My advice to newbies, when they do actually decide play, is to play an easy course.. both for their own enjoyment as well as those around them. Play a course suitable for their skill level.. where they can hit it, go find it and then hit it again. The course I regularly play is tight in spots with several forced carries. A newbie would not have fun playing there and would lose a lot of golf balls. But that's ok with me too as they adhere to pace of play guidelines(let faster players play through).

This call for clarification because if -

you are not waiting for the group in front of you to clear before hitting your shot ..
and
you are impeding the group behind you ...
and
you do not ask them, or allow them, to play through ...
then
You are the dick.

This does raise another question about disparate skill levels within your group. As with any other sport, golf is more enjoyable when playing with others of a similar skill level. I have a friend who I used to run a golf discussion board with. He lives in the area though not particularly close. He's a scratch golfer. I'm fairy satisfied when I break 90. We've played several times but I know he prefers playing with guys of similar ability and when I'm paired with someone who can't break 120 that gets old fast.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you don't. If your group is cool with it, do whatever you want out there. Just don't hit into the group in front and let faster groups play through. That's it. Anything else should be up to your group.. and of course don't damage the golf course. But have fun.

Maybe examples would help.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you don't. If your group is cool with it, do whatever you want out there. Just don't hit into the group in front and let faster groups play through. That's it. Anything else should be up to your group.. and of course don't damage the golf course. But have fun.

Maybe examples would help.
You talked about punting a basketball. What was that example for? Someone playing an entire round with a putter?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You talked about punting a basketball. What was that example for? Someone playing an entire round with a putter?

It was just a example of how deviating from what's considered acceptable when participating in a sport is actually objectively unacceptable and not just some old fogies stuck it their ways or whatever the argument is.

I'm looking for some examples of the latter from you guys, but all I was getting was a millennial version of old guy shouting at clouds.

Playing an entire round with a putter, or any club, would be fine. I've played games with a drastically reduced bag with my friends. It's a fun twist. Lee Trevino used to hustle guys playing with nothing but a 32oz Dr Pepper bottle.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was just a example of how deviating from what's considered acceptable when participating in a sport is actually objectively unacceptable and not just some old fogies stuck it their ways or whatever the argument is.

I'm looking for some examples of the latter from you guys, but all I was getting was a millennial version of old guy shouting at clouds.

Playing an entire round with a putter, or any club, would be fine. I've played games with a drastically reduced bag with my friends. It's a fun twist. Lee Trevino used to hustle guys playing with nothing but a 32oz Dr Pepper bottle.
It is old guys shouting at clouds. Y'all acting like there should be a guy holding a "quiet" sign around you. Someone was bitching about how people dress. It's a game, it should be fun. If you don't like fun, go to a course that mandates dress codes, and bans loud noises.

Reactions: ill

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is old guys shouting at clouds. Y'all acting like there should be a guy holding a "quiet" sign around you. Someone was bitching about how people dress. It's a game, it should be fun. If you don't like fun, go to a course that mandates dress codes, and bans loud noises.

I know what the saying is, but it's apparently not limited to old guys was my point. I don't care about any of that other stuff, like what people wear. I doubt many do.

I've also played games with my friends where any disruption goes as long as you don't touch the guy trying to hit. That didn't turn out to be as much fun as we thought it might, though.

It is a game and it is fun, but like going to a show or out to dinner or a tennis match, it doesn't call for a lot of constant noise and whooping it up and if that's a show-stopper, those who have a problem from refraining should find another way to spend their time... or earbuds ftw.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what the saying is, but it's apparently not limited to old guys was my point. I don't care about any of that other stuff, like what people wear. I doubt many do.

I've also played games with my friends where any disruption goes as long as you don't touch the guy trying to hit. That didn't turn out to be as much fun as we thought it might, though.

It is a game and it is fun, but like going to a show or out to dinner or a tennis match, it doesn't call for a lot of constant noise and whooping it up and if that's a show-stopper, those who have a problem from refraining should find another way to spend their time... or earbuds ftw.
We're talking about playing golf, not going to an event