• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers Spring Training 2020

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Mac Engel's interview with JD.

You signed an extension a while back, how much longer is that deal?

I’d rather not say. I prefer to be private about it.

You gave second baseman Rougned Odor a six-year extension and he’s been up and down since. As a result you have received a lot of criticism for that deal, from me and others. Is that criticism valid?

When you sign a young player to those deals you are expecting this steady climb to their prime. Michael Young did that to an extreme. With Odor, the challenging part is he’s been inconsistent. Within seasons he’s been inconsistent, and year to year.

He was a Gold Glove finalist in 2018, last year the defensive metrics didn’t like him. The challenge for us is that it’s in there. We need him to put it together over the course of a season.

Is his contract a contributing factor why he’s the starting second baseman?

It gives him more rope, yeah. It is a factor, but not the only factor. To his credit he’s been willing to acknowledge things he needs to work on. Eventually it’s about production.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Engel's interview.

Do you think this club has promoted some prospects too quickly?

Yeah. There are a couple of cases where I look back and wonder if we had been more patient. [Pitcher] Martin Perez comes out the most. More so than Odor. Nomar Mazara a little bit.

Was Joey Gallo one?

Good question. I think some of the struggles he went through helped him a little bit. When you are that much more physically advanced than your competition you need some more competition.

You went through a period when you were aggressive adding high-dollar players. Other than trading for Corey Kluber, for several years you have not done those deals and the team’s payroll has been around the middle of MLB. Is that a Jon Daniels’ decision or a Ray Davis-Bob Simpson ownership group decision?

Combination. For the most part ownership has been good about giving us resources and allowing us to make the decision on what to do with them. From a big picture plan ... is this the year we go big, or evaluate where we are? They are involved in that side of it, from where we are in the system to moving into the park.

It’s 2020, we’re moving into the new park, and we’re creating revenue. So can we add payroll here and there?

If you could line it all up perfectly you’d have it where your farm system is peaking right when you move into the new park and you can add free agents. We realized two years ago that wasn’t going to be, and we were not going to force it.

You see teams when it’s not lined up, they go out and sign free agents and it becomes more like a marketing campaign than a baseball strategy. We were determined not to do that.

There were some free agents we went after, but we were not going to go down the line to get the next best guy. We were not going to do anything for the sake of appearance.

Looking at the average timeline of teams that go from winning and rebuild it’s about four years to “flip.” You are in the fourth year, is that reasonable?

Yeah, but the goal is to avoid it. We made the conscious decision to avoid tanking. We just got this public commitment to the stadium and we didn’t think that sent the right message.

You had of run of first-round picks coming from high school which haven’t panned out. Last year you took a college player. Was there a deliberate effort to get away from selecting high school players so high?

It wasn’t a decision where it was college versus high school. We definitely re-evaluated how we put our draft board together. The result is a little more risk-averse. If we didn’t take [Texas Tech third baseman Josh Jung] the guy we were going to take was a high school player. We factored risk in more than we had in the past.

The club’s struggles to develop its own top-end pitching has been a problem of late, in part, because of injuries to your prospects. Were the Rangers doing anything fundamentally wrong that prevented you all from developing your own pitching?

We have spent a ton of time and resources on it. We did our own work in-house, and brought people from the outside to look at it. Yes, we have altered how we do it. We kept some parts of our program and added new parts.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from the Engle interview.

Was the decision to trade for Corey Kluber influenced at all by the fact the team is moving into a new stadium?

The strategy was to get better. If we were in the old stadium, I would still want to make this move.

Did the Rangers know of anything the Houston Astros were doing as far as electronic sign stealing?

Specifically, no. We’d have chatter. Talk to the staff and there would be suspicion of something. Guys said they would hear whistling but nothing we ever heard for sure. We never made a formal complaint. There were discussions from people with MLB and we’d talk about it, but that’s it.

Do you like the new three-batter rule for pitchers?

I do. I don’t think it’s going to have a huge effect on the game. I like it conceptually.

Your front office has a lot of titles. Do you think the Rangers need a traditional team president that handles more of the marketing, business and promotional side?

What do you think I do that is more than club presidents?

Public appearances spring to mind. Where do you have time?

It’s a challenge. From a time standpoint we have built out the baseball side of our organization. There are some occasions because we don’t have that traditional club president role that I am asked to do because there isn’t that natural position there to do it. But it’s not often in my mind.

The only example was Hurricane Harvey [in 2017] in Houston when we were trying to switch the series with the Astros. I took daggers on it.

You were crushed for it. I killed you for it.

I naively didn’t expect it was going to go that way. That was a Major League Baseball ownership level decision.

Why didn’t you say that when it was going on?

Because I was not going to do that. People were going to do what they want, and they don’t care that much. That one actually bothered me. I’m not going to lie. It bothered me because no one came out and said what actually happened. I bit my lip and moved on.

At the end of last season Nolan Ryan came back for the closing of Globe Life Park. It appeared there was at least a thaw there. He’s available. It seems everyone has moved on. You all need a club president. Any chance he could come back in that capacity or any other with this organization?

I would not know the answer to that. I haven’t been involved.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe how stupid people are on LSB.

the consensus on there is that signing Odor was a good move when they did and they always defend odor when people attack him on there.

we’re talking about the same guy who has been statistically the worst regular player in MLB 2x in the last 3 years?

I wish odor wouldn’t be on a different team. I dislike him more than I ever disliked mitch.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe how stupid people are on LSB.

the consensus on there is that signing Odor was a good move when they did and they always defend odor when people attack him on there.

we’re talking about the same guy who has been statistically the worst regular player in MLB 2x in the last 3 years?

I wish odor wouldn’t be on a different team. I dislike him more than I ever disliked mitch.
It is JD that those folks have a crush on. That is why they are such big Odor fans. It all starts with them worshipping at the feet of JD. The Team JD pom poms are very active on that site, because Adam is the biggest JD cheerleader there is.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new concerning JD and Odor. Moving on.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new concerning JD and Odor. Moving on.
Well, there are a lot of other topics in that interview with JD, yet no one has mentioned any of them except Crawler. Those who discuss topics drive the conversation.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always JD o'clock in the month of Odortember around here.
Some folks set their alarm for JD o'clock and never wake up any other time to bring up anything else.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there are a lot of other topics in that interview with JD, yet no one has mentioned any of them except Crawler. Those who discuss topics drive the conversation.
I read the complete post. Just saying nothing was learned concerning Odor and JD.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the complete post. Just saying nothing was learned concerning Odor and JD.
Well, maybe not learned per se, but I found it interesting that JD was candid enough to admit what we’ve all discussed on here- that Odor’s contract absolutely does give him more playing time and leeway than others with smaller contracts would get if they had Odor’s terrible stats.

And he did say that not taking on more payroll over the last few years was somewhat his decision and somewhat ownership’s decision. He talked about not wanting to just go out and buy a bunch of high-prices guys for the sake of “marketing” when the team is not ready to compete yet, and that does make sense. That sounds more like his philosophy. But reading between the lines, I bet you anything that there has been at least 1 or 2 guys he really wanted to sign in recent years, and ownership wouldn’t commit to giving him enough dollars to make it happen (maybe Rendon?).

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re article. Glad it was with Engel. A JD hater and Nolan Pom Pom guy, right?

JD did not want to tank but between the lines he acknowledged a rebuilding
Odor when it counts will have to produce per article

JD will never throw owners under the bus....count on that

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe not learned per se, but I found it interesting that JD was candid enough to admit what we’ve all discussed on here
And he did say that not taking on more payroll over the last few years was somewhat his decision and somewhat ownership’s decision. But reading between the lines, I bet you anything that there has been at least 1 or 2 guys he really wanted to sign in recent years, and ownership wouldn’t commit to giving him enough dollars to make it happen (maybe Rendon?).

He clearly would not take full responsibility for not getting him and as I remember was visibly upset

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter where the blame belongs, it is ownership that needs to be replaced. They are either to blame, or they are allowing the one to blame to continue to be employed by the club. New ownership can get the present owners and JD in a meeting together and find out who made which decisions and take action if necessary. Most likely a clean sweep would be made.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1