• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering the same thing.
There was not a managerial spot open here when he left, or rather was not asked back. Banny was hired the year before.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make very little sense to trade Duran after they sent him to winter ball to learn how to play the OF. That sounds like they have definite plans to try him in our outfield, at some point in 2023. I don't think they are interested in helping him to learn to play OF for some other team.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make very little sense to trade Duran after they sent him to winter ball to learn how to play the OF. That sounds like they have definite plans to try him in our outfield, at some point in 2023. I don't think they are interested in helping him to learn to play OF for some other team.
I agree. Of the 2, the one id rather keep is Duran. I don’t think smith has much pop in his bat, but he’s still a good player.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they score a better player like a pitcher with control then it makes sense but sure let’s not just give away good players

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they score a better player like a pitcher with control then it makes sense but sure let’s not just give away good players
I just think they planned on keeping him when they decided to send him to winter ball. They have a whole lot of tradeable talent both in the minors and on the 26 man roster if they need to make a trade, without using Duran. Although, with free agency money left to spend, they shouldn't have to make a trade this winter at all.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think they planned on keeping him when they decided to send him to winter ball. They have a whole lot of tradeable talent both in the minors and on the 26 man roster if they need to make a trade, without using Duran. Although, with free agency money left to spend, they shouldn't have to make a trade this winter at all.
Do you get the sense that the FO sees Duran as the favorite for the LF job?
Obviously there is going to be plenty of internal competition.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you get the sense that the FO sees Duran as the favorite for the LF job?
Obviously there is going to be plenty of internal competition.
I think they see Smith and Duran as the better options for LF and CF. I am not sure if they feel Duran will be ready on Opening Day or not. I might be completely wrong, but that is how I think it will play out.

This time last year, I thought they would go with Trevino over Heim, so I might be that wrong again. Lol

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet they are. Just like Carter, Jung, White, and Foscue. Those two are winning pieces for some team.
Yes I bet the Rangers are getting calls on many and we surely can’t keep them all. But of those 4 I have to think all are untouchable minus Foscue but he did have MLB pop in his bat. Just not sure where he plays.
Somewhere in our system we need one 100% groomed for 1B. Surely we can fill that position within.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I bet the Rangers are getting calls on many and we surely can’t keep them all. But of those 4 I have to think all are untouchable minus Foscue but he did have MLB pop in his bat. Just not sure where he plays.
Somewhere in our system we need one 100% groomed for 1B. Surely we can fill that position within.
Well, I think you know who I think that can be if he is given the chance. The Crim Reaper.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think you know who I think that can be if he is given the chance. The Crim Reaper.
Maybe he can settle in a full year at Round Rock and be ready in a year. I think we need some clear pathways for a few guys

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clevinger to the White Sox. I think he is a good risk to take.

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clevinger to the White Sox. I think he is a good risk to take.
Yes. I would have taken him with no other starting pitching. Wait for Yu

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

There’s some old-school in Young and Maddux, even though their only previous encounter was Maddux phoning Young after the 2014 season to recruit him to the Rangers. They believe in the eye test, starters working deep into games, and pitchers being ready for every game and scenario.

“It definitely was one of our common threads that we found out right away when we were just having a baseball discussion,” Maddux said. “And it was very refreshing that pitching is more than numbers. It’s about attitude and fortitude, manage what we’re doing. The intangibles, the unmeasurable things are big, and those are high priorities for both of us.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Jeff Wilson:

Maddux’s best attribute, Young said, is his ability to instill confidence and pitch with conviction. Maddux was Holland’s first pitching coach and helped the young left-hander learn the big-league ropes and instilled the confidence in him to excel in big moments such as Game 3 of the 2010 American League Championship Series and Game 5 of the 2011 World Series.

“Committing to each pitch is one of his big things,” said Holland, a free agent who would welcome a reunion with Maddux and the Rangers.

“Trusting yourself is the hardest thing to do in this game, and he reminds you of that while teaching you to trust the stuff you have. He’s great with the guys, and knows how to relate to each individual pitcher. Focus is key with him, and will continue to help you improve each time you are out there.”

Past pitchers under Maddux, from Holland to Cardinals veteran Adam Wainwright, have raved about his ability to break down an opposing lineup.

That’s where the eye test and the data might differ. A batter might hit .350 against, say, left-handed breaking balls, but for the past week he’s looked foolish on them. Pitchers trust Maddux’s scouting reports.

“He taught me so much about how to pitch and scouting,” Holland said. “He knows the game so well and cares about his players and their craft. He’s the old-school type of mentality with teaching how to pitch and getting guys to go the distance. I’m sure he incorporates the analytics, but his main philosophy is to throw strikes and pitch your game.”

Above all, Maddux said, Rangers pitchers are going to pitch from a point of strength and be prepared.

“We’ve got to hold them accountable to preparation,” he said. “And that accountability is a big thing. Players owe their teammates to be prepared. I will make sure they are.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Ken Rosenthal this morning:

As always, the market for free agents is difficult to read. But to this point, the Rangers seem more confident of landing left-hander Carlos Rodón and possibly Japanese righty Kodai Senga than they do of signing the best available starting pitcher, Jacob deGrom, or most accomplished, Justin Verlander.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get Senga and 2 relievers and we will be in great shape.

I imagine they would want to add one veteran utility player as well, but who knows. Having Smith on the roster would help alleviate some of that need.