• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol. Looks like I hit a nerve with Evan, since he just happens to be the President of the local JD Fan Club.
Did JD have some sort of grudge against Maddux I am unaware of. Glad he is back though

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect us to get at least one SP and relief pitcher. But if they are trying to get something in the trade market we may lose a few prospects
I hope it is with it

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did JD have some sort of grudge against Maddux I am unaware of. Glad he is back though
He didn't like how long it took him to decide if he wanted to come back.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do think our coaching staff is a huge upgrade
Quite an assembly

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't like how long it took him to decide if he wanted to come back.
Guess I forget. I just remember Maddux wanting to manage and we did not give him the job so he went elsewhere

Am I remembering correctly?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be not surprised at one GA signing before rule 5 and another 1-2 later

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I forget. I just remember Maddux wanting to manage and we did not give him the job so he went elsewhere

The Rangers offered him a contract as pitching coach. But he wanted to try for open manager positions. The Rangers didn’t want to wait and let him go.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers offered him a contract as pitching coach. But he wanted to try for open manager positions. The Rangers didn’t want to wait and let him go.

Seems like this was when Banny got hired, right? Didn't Maddux want to be considered for that and the Rangers turned him down or some such?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JD offered him a contract. He decided to weigh his options first. That caused JD to withdraw the offer.

"After seven seasons with the Texas Rangers, Mike Maddux will not return as the team's pitching coach in 2016.

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram first reported Maddux would not be back Thursday, later adding it was the Rangers' decision:

The team announced the move later in the day, and general manager Jon Daniels said the team had decided to "go in a different direction," per Jon Morosi of Fox Sports.

This does represent a change of heart for the franchise, as Wilson wrote on Oct. 20 the Rangers did make Maddux a contract offer for next season:"

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like this was when Banny got hired, right? Didn't Maddux want to be considered for that and the Rangers turned him down or some such?
Banny was hired after the disasterous 2014 season. Maddux lasted through 2015.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Neither Maddux nor the Rangers expected this day to come, even though Maddux balked at the club’s offer shortly after an unexpected postseason appearance and asked to speak with other clubs. The Rangers started to compile a list of candidates, but both sides initially anticipated that Maddux would be back.

“As he took a little time to look around and as we took the same time to talk internally about what was best, we did an internal review at that point,” Daniels said. “As we talked it through, we felt like there was an opportunity for us to get better with a new voice in that role.”

Maddux said that he was surprised and disappointed by the news Daniels delivered Thursday morning at Globe Life Park. Maddux’s younger brother, Greg, the Hall of Fame pitcher who had served as a special assistant since 2011, also will not return.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD offered him a contract. He decided to weigh his options first. That caused JD to withdraw the offer.

"After seven seasons with the Texas Rangers, Mike Maddux will not return as the team's pitching coach in 2016.

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram first reported Maddux would not be back Thursday, later adding it was the Rangers' decision:

The team announced the move later in the day, and general manager Jon Daniels said the team had decided to "go in a different direction," per Jon Morosi of Fox Sports.

This does represent a change of heart for the franchise, as Wilson wrote on Oct. 20 the Rangers did make Maddux a contract offer for next season:"

I just thought offer or no offer Maddox wanted to test the waters. Probably a pure business decision. Surely you don’t think JD would be petty about the past?
Maybe EG took it that way but yeah that struck a chord obviously

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to make another thanksgiving guys. Hope all are well and healthy especially those who have not been heard from lately

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn’t mind him out of the bullpen. He actually had a very low FIP in the majors in his brief stint. High high k/9.
Did good in the minors last year too.
He could be a steal.
He definitely shouldn’t be a SP. reliever

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought offer or no offer Maddox wanted to test the waters. Probably a pure business decision. Surely you don’t think JD would be petty about the past?
Maybe EG took it that way but yeah that struck a chord obviously
Petty or not, I don't think JD would be over it yet. Like I told Evan, he had done this before with a couple of players (Benoit and Cruz) and I wouldn't expect this case would be different. Ironically, Evan is the one who clued me into JD feeling this way about Benoit many years ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn’t mind him out of the bullpen. He actually had a very low FIP in the majors in his brief stint. High high k/9.
Did good in the minors last year too.
He could be a steal.
He definitely shouldn’t be a SP. reliever
I think I would rather spend on proven relievers. If they don't, then picking up starting pitchers will never benefit us fully.

If Miller wants a minor league deal with no guarantees I might be interested. There is probably room for him in the Round Rock bullpen.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do y’all think the team deploys Mark Mathias next year ?