• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have a lot to discuss this offseason. We have navigated about 4 years through a rebuilding plan, and there are still many steps left to take. The last of the rubble will most likely be removed this offseason, and some more of the new structure will go up. We will still have a lot of very important pieces still on the farm when the 2023 season starts, and still a good many pieces will be on the farm when 2023 ends. The following questions will give us a lot to talk about and I am sure there are many that you guys will come up with that I have not listed.

Will we sign another high-quality hitter?

Will we sign a high-quality starting pitcher?

Will we make any trades to help with the 40-man restructure?

Who will be cut in order to allow enough room for additions to the roster and to make room for 40-man additions?

Will we trade prospects for a good, controllable starting pitcher?

Will a prospect do enough over the winter and in Spring Training to crack the Opening Day lineup, besides Jung?

Do any of our young starter prospects, other than Otto, Dunning and Ragans, have a chance to be in the rotation on Opening Day?

Which prospects have a chance to make the jump to the big leagues during the first two months of the 2023 season?

Who will be the manager in 2023?

Will we continue to sign short term free agent veterans to fill out the roster or do those bench spots go to younger guys already with the club?

Are you happy with the progress of the rebuild over the past 12 months?

Will we be a wild card team in 2023?

How much longer will it be before we get back to the ALDS?

How much longer before we get back to the World Series?

Reactions: DTC

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have a lot to discuss this offseason. We have navigated about 4 years through a rebuilding plan, and there are still many steps left to take. The last of the rubble will most likely be removed this offseason, and some more of the new structure will go up. We will still have a lot of very important pieces still on the farm when the 2023 season starts, and still a good many pieces will be on the farm when 2023 ends. The following questions will give us a lot to talk about and I am sure there are many that you guys will come up with that I have not listed.

Will we sign another high-quality hitter? No

Will we sign a high-quality starting pitcher? Hopefully YES and not a scrub 4th or 5th tier FA

Will we make any trades to help with the 40-man restructure? Yes, i think we trade for a quality starter

Who will be cut in order to allow enough room for additions to the roster and to make room for 40-man additions? all the deadweight that has shown that they are not vital to the future roster

Will we trade prospects for a good, controllable starting pitcher? see question #3

Will a prospect do enough over the winter and in Spring Training to crack the Opening Day lineup, besides Jung? think we see Harris, Huff and either Smith or Wendzel on opening day

Do any of our young starter prospects, other than Otto, Dunning and Ragans, have a chance to be in the rotation on Opening Day?

Which prospects have a chance to make the jump to the big leagues during the first two months of the 2023 season? None

Who will be the manager in 2023? right now don;t even know who the Rangers have put on their list

Will we continue to sign short term free agent veterans to fill out the roster or do those bench spots go to younger guys already with the club? the yonger guys

Are you happy with the progress of the rebuild over the past 12 months? other than the pitching especially the bullpen, YES

Will we be a wild card team in 2023? maybe but it all depends on what the FO does this sense. more concerned with us being ready in 2024

How much longer will it be before we get back to the ALDS? 2024 or 2025

How much longer before we get back to the World Series? too early to call

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need a high quality hitter in the OF. Garcia is solid but Smith is not as a OF. Leody and Thompson are valuable on defense but questionable when it comes to hitting. Difficult decision who might be replaced. Both have speed that makes it hard to replace on the offensive side. Hopefully the question might be answered in the off season. Smith has a future as UIF. Guess: Trade Leody in a pkg deal for a #3 pitcher or better and sign a quality hitting outfielder.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need a high quality hitter in the OF. Garcia is solid but Smith is not as a OF. Leody and Thompson are valuable on defense but questionable when it comes to hitting. Difficult decision who might be replaced. Both have speed that makes it hard to replace on the offensive side. Hopefully the question might be answered in the off season. Smith has a future as UIF. Guess: Trade Leody in a pkg deal for a #3 pitcher or better and sign a quality hitting outfielder.
Judge is available.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, our OF has been devoid of hitting, with the exception of Garcia. Tons of speed/good defense (White/Taveras/Thompson) but it doesn't seem White nor Taveras have much upside as everyday players. And this makes trading Taveras - without including a lot more - a little difficult.

I can see our starting pitching - as it stands today - having a decent # 2 and # 3 with Martin (assuming he resigns), and Gray. And perhaps Otto is a decent bet for the # 5 slot...........I''m not positive about how our FO feels about the arms in the minors, nor the timetables involved. But signing ptichers, regardless of slot, seems imperative to me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't leave NY
And why would he? He appears to be very comfortable playing in the Big Apple, and the Yankees cannot let him go elsewhere.

I think this guy is in the drivers seat, the cat-bird position, having-his-cake and eating-it-too, etc.......Good for him. If I'm Judge I'm thinking, 'It's a damn good time to be me!'

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one thought Freeman would leave Atlanta.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing we all know is we have lost to many one or two run games. Could have been lack of relief pitching or lack of situational hitting. No doubt will pick up some relief pitchers but what is to be done about RISP left on base. Garcia and Lowe have been accountable but the problem still exist. We have stolen enough bases to help but still no results. Batting averages are not great except for a couple of guys. Do we need new hitting instructers? What do you think we need to improve RISP?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Years Ranger resolution

No more bullpen games

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign Perez and Trade/sign another legit SP.
Let Dunning, Otto, Ragans and a minor league invite/$2 million sign fill the 4th and 5th spot and depth.
1.Perez
2.FA/Trade
3.Gray
4.Otto
5.Dunning, Ragans or minor league invite/cheap

Sign or trade for a big bat for LF

Duran, Huff, Roby, Vanasco would be some of the trade chips.

I like Thompson/Taveras in CF/4th OF..

Sign/Trade for a couple/few bullpen arms

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign Perez and Trade/sign another legit SP.
Let Dunning, Otto, Ragans and a minor league invite/$2 million sign fill the 4th and 5th spot and depth.
1.Perez
2.FA/Trade
3.Gray
4.Otto
5.Dunning, Ragans or minor league invite/cheap

Sign or trade for a big bat for LF

Duran, Huff, Roby, Vanasco would be some of the trade chips.

I like Thompson/Taveras in CF/4th OF..

Sign/Trade for a couple/few bullpen arms
Well I do think we need Perez and another plus armament and maybe a vet at a minor league deal for depth. Would not mind trading minor league depth for another AAA or AA arm

Not ready to just start moving minor leaguers. Just have to be patient Still on some if the upside is not there the it looks like you are settling for mediocre

We are going to have to sort out who to roster and who to nonroster. What to do with Garver and our catching situation.
I still think Lowe may be best at DH. He does not even stretch for the ball at times. I think I trust the metrics which rate him low
Still we need someone to step up offensively in the OF or get a bat. Has to happen or we wait on Zavala

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be wise to give our hitting prospects some time to see which ones are going to be worth bringing up or keeping up here. I mean guys like Duran, Zavala, Crim, Harris, Foscue, Wemdzel, Carter and Smith.

Zavala may or may not need more time in AA. Carter and Acuna will most likely go back to AA along with Saggese.

I would give Smith all of next year in the OF to see how much improvement he shows. If he doesn't show enough improvement next year then Zavala, Duran and Harris should be ready to take his place.

The only way I would bring in a bat in free agency, is on the off chance a very big name could be had.

Ideally, at some point in the future,
we could bring in an expensive bat for the OF and trade one of the big bats we signed a year ago. It would free up money to spend big money. There is probably a very small chance that that would ever happen though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not trust this organization to make right decisions regarding Huff. I think at some point we will realize that we have made mistakes in trading both Trevino and Huff.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not trust this organization to make right decisions regarding Huff. I think at some point we will realize that we have made mistakes in trading both Trevino and Huff.
IF Garver amounts to nothing then it was a mistake but even still not a huge mistake. We need to get some elite payers within or without. Trevino is good but not elite