• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where the Rangers Caravan is coming back this offseason. They haven't announced the details yet, but the Round Rock Express have announced that their date for the Rangers Caravan is Jan. 23.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“What would it take for the Rangers to acquire reliever David Bednar from the Pirates? Would starter Glenn Otto, infielder Ezequiel Duran and reliever Brett Martin work? — Zach S.

No, that would not work for the Pirates, but the Rangers would make the deal in a hot Texas flash. If and when the Pirates deal Bednar, they are going to want two solid prospects back. How about two of shortstop Gleider Figuereo, right-hander Dane Acker and right-hander Marc Church? A package like that would be closer to fair value for Bednar, who is under team control for four more seasons.”

That was my question lmao. Apparently he didn’t like my trade package.. imo Otto should take a step forward next year but with us acquiring SP and the cost of RP I figured my package was fair. I would do his package too..
In fact.. I’d rather do his package as a rangers fan

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Dodgers or Angels will save us from ourselves.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“What would it take for the Rangers to acquire reliever David Bednar from the Pirates? Would starter Glenn Otto, infielder Ezequiel Duran and reliever Brett Martin work? — Zach S.

No, that would not work for the Pirates, but the Rangers would make the deal in a hot Texas flash. If and when the Pirates deal Bednar, they are going to want two solid prospects back. How about two of shortstop Gleider Figuereo, right-hander Dane Acker and right-hander Marc Church? A package like that would be closer to fair value for Bednar, who is under team control for four more seasons.”

That was my question lmao. Apparently he didn’t like my trade package.. imo Otto should take a step forward next year but with us acquiring SP and the cost of RP I figured my package was fair. I would do his package too..
You offered a significantly better package than he suggested. Lol

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s Jim Bowden. There’s a reason he hasn’t been given another chance as a GM for quite some time. He’s an idiot. He probably doesn’t even know who Otto and Duran are.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Dodgers or Angels will save us from ourselves.
Confused by this post, as Haniger is a really, really good player. He had a down year last year due to injuries, and injuries have plagued him throughout his career. But we as Rangers fans (and the front office itself) have to be realistic about our team. We’re not going to draw the best free agents without any question marks. Not without some serious money-whipping and overpaying, anyway.

That’s why, in my opinion, if we want to contend any time soon (as Ray Davis reportedly does), we’re going to have to take on some risks in order to land elite talent. People push back against signing deGrom and/or Rodon because of their high price tags and injury history. But their talent is unquestionably elite. If we want to have a true TORP (which you need to compete), it’s going to have to come in the form of overpaying an ace who has some concerns or trading away our entire farm for someone like Burnes.

And the same goes for improving the outfield. I would love to see the Rangers kick the tires and overpay a bit to sign someone like Haniger or Bellinger who have definite concerns. Their talent level is elite. They are game-changing players when healthy and producing. That’s how the Rangers got to the World Series before- by taking risks. Josh Hamilton was a big risk. Nelson Cruz was a risk when they traded for him.

Based on our desirability as a landing spots for free agents, we can really only hope to attract elite guys with red flags or average-to-good level guys with fewer concerns. We’ve had more of those guys over the last 5 years than I can count and it got us nowhere. Average healthy players don’t win you championships. Go big or go home. I’d gladly take an over-pay on deGrom and a Rodon and an expensive lottery ticket purchase on a Haniger or Bellinger that might not pan out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go big or go home. I’d gladly take an over-pay on deGrom and a Rodon and an expensive lottery ticket purchase on a Haniger or Bellinger that might not pan out.
I agree completely about going big or going home. That is why I don't want a lottery ticket type.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely about going big or going home. That is why I don't want a lottery ticket type.
Fair enough. I’m definitely not advocating for only lottery ticket type players. But I see a Haniger or Bellinger type signing as a pretty high upside move. I guess that’s more of what I was getting at when I said “go big or go home”. I only want guys who have All-Star level ceilings. I’m more of the mindset for all sports that you either need to be a championship contender or a cellar dweller. Middle of the pack teams who miss the playoffs but wind up with middling draft picks are permanently mired in the cycle of mediocrity. So I have no interest in guys who will help us win 80 games. I think we all agree there. No more Brad Millers.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough. I’m definitely not advocating for only lottery ticket type players. But I see a Haniger or Bellinger type signing as a pretty high upside move. I guess that’s more of what I was getting at when I said “go big or go home”. I only want guys who have All-Star level ceilings. I’m more of the mindset for all sports that you either need to be a championship contender or a cellar dweller. Middle of the pack teams who miss the playoffs but wind up with middling draft picks are permanently mired in the cycle of mediocrity. So I have no interest in guys who will help us win 80 games. I think we all agree there. No more Brad Millers.
Still have to fight perception

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are still multiple guys away. I read Haniger thinks is value is down due to injuries and may want a one year contract which to me I am not interested. Read where he fits RF. Not married to Adolis but he still may have some upside
Definitely think if not this year then next we have to have better guys in LF and CF. Bellinger is interesting to me but his market I am totally out of touch with

Do think unless we make trades the signings come after winter meetings minus a big pitcher signing

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that too. I just think it is going to be a year or two longer before we reach that championship caliber. We are going to have to win 80-something games between then and now, but as long as we are on our way up and not stuck at 80-something I am fine with that.

Meanwhile, I would like to see what we can do internally in the OF this year. We are going to have to find some guys internally to fit on that future championship caliber team. We can only afford to pay for free agents at a limited amount of positions. Maybe if we can find some internal options this year, it will help us a lot a year or two down the road. If the Rangers were wanting to go big on someone like Judge, I would have no problem with it, but guys like Haniger, Bellinger, and Gallo are not the way I would like to go.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers: Josh Jung, 3B (No. 1/MLB No. 36)
Jung would have been a prime 2022 Rookie of the Year contender if he hadn't torn the labrum in his left shoulder while lifting weights in February, sidelining him until late July and delaying his big league debut until September. The No. 8 overall pick in the 2019 Draft from Texas Tech is an all-around hitter with a career .311/.381/.538 line in the Minors, and he slugged five homers

Obvious ROY candidate for the good guys

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Candidate for Astros is Hunter Brown

We need our MILB pitching to really step up
Especially Leiter and Winn

Last edited: