• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am anxious to see how all 5 of our top pitching prospects advance through the system this year. I will be keeping an eye on a former prospect in the Phillies organization, as well.
i hope he does well

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Drellich reported this:

In a meeting with the Players Association on Monday, Major League Baseball deputy commissioner Dan Halem said that MLB is willing to lose games over some of the outstanding issues the sides have, people with knowledge of the talks said. Whether Halem was issuing a threat, or merely providing a statement of the obvious — the owners did start a lockout, after all, and there’s been no agreement since, so what else would happen if there’s no movement? — depends on whom you ask. Some on the players’ side indeed thought it was notable that Halem would verbalize the possibility of missing games, that it did amount to a threat, while the commissioner’s office disagreed.

Some on the players’ side were irked, too, by Rockies owner Dick Monfort, the chair of commissioner Rob Manfred’s seven-owner labor policy committee. Monfort, people with knowledge of the meeting said, complained about the difficulty at least some owners have affording teams, and the ancillary costs of ownership such as security and COVID-19 measures.

Glen Caplin, a former political operative who serves as MLB’s spokesperson for collective bargaining, wrote in a statement that The Athletic’s “reporting about comments from our negotiating session is mischaracterized and not a fair representation of the discussion.”

“We think the parties’ decision not to have a public back and forth and keep our discussions private has been a positive,” Caplin said. “It’s unfortunate that someone has chosen a different path and we are going to remain focused on making an agreement.”

For as much arguing as there was in the roughly two-hour meeting at the union’s offices — and arguing in collective bargaining is not abnormal — the meeting also probably represented the most positive step the sides have taken in months.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is mentioned that a delay is possible this early into negotiations then it can easily be construed as a threat. Seems like Haslem has a history of being overly blunt but perhaps I am wrong.

Better press would be we are making progress and hope we can get this worked out soon so baseball can resume. But I am not hearing that so as a fan it is a bit disgusting to me

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get trying to keep the press out and make things in house but there is a potential danger of eliminating a check and balance and go full blown totalitarian. Not saying all these players motives are altruistic

Looks like to me a fight between millionaires vs billionaires. The minor league small towns and players have suffered the most. But guys want to chase their baseball dreams…. So be it. I am sure these sure thing talents want to either mitigate the risk before the apparent payday or hasten that payday. Pretty understandable.

For some though I am sure it is like a lottery ticket

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
complained about the difficulty at least some owners have affording teams

This is, has always been, and will always be 100% Grade-A bullshit.

The movie "Forrest Gump" made $678 million on a budget of $55 million. The author of the book signed a deal for % of the net (instead of gross) profits, and the movie studio used "Hollywood accounting" to say that the movie ended up losing money as a way to avoid paying him a % of the take.

Same bullshit with MLB owners. They're lying about the finances (or they are idiots who can't print money with a money printer).

Either way, not our fucking problem.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is, has always been, and will always be 100% Grade-A bullshit.

The movie "Forrest Gump" made $678 million on a budget of $55 million. The author of the book signed a deal for % of the net (instead of gross) profits, and the movie studio used "Hollywood accounting" to say that the movie ended up losing money as a way to avoid paying him a % of the take.

Same bullshit with MLB owners. They're lying about the finances (or they are idiots who can't print money with a money printer).

Either way, not our fucking problem.
I as a fan have a vested interest and prior emotional investment in Baseball aka the national pastime
But are we at this table. We have a group that is messing with an ongoing experience that means something.
When President Bush threw the impressive strike after 911 that meant something. And now petty interests put the game in danger. And it has been hanging on the precipice for a while with all that has corrupted the game mainly greed.

The game was purer once upon a time and the working man had access. I was once a STH but they will likely never happen again. I want to enjoy the game outside of all the extracurriculars, business and politics

Not saying I want to live my life with my head in the sand but is there not a time and place for everything.
Life is hard enough as it is with all this sideshows stuff including this lockout

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Drellich reported this:

In a meeting with the Players Association on Monday, Major League Baseball deputy commissioner Dan Halem said that MLB is willing to lose games over some of the outstanding issues the sides have, people with knowledge of the talks said. Whether Halem was issuing a threat, or merely providing a statement of the obvious — the owners did start a lockout, after all, and there’s been no agreement since, so what else would happen if there’s no movement? — depends on whom you ask. Some on the players’ side indeed thought it was notable that Halem would verbalize the possibility of missing games, that it did amount to a threat, while the commissioner’s office disagreed.

Some on the players’ side were irked, too, by Rockies owner Dick Monfort, the chair of commissioner Rob Manfred’s seven-owner labor policy committee. Monfort, people with knowledge of the meeting said, complained about the difficulty at least some owners have affording teams, and the ancillary costs of ownership such as security and COVID-19 measures.

Glen Caplin, a former political operative who serves as MLB’s spokesperson for collective bargaining, wrote in a statement that The Athletic’s “reporting about comments from our negotiating session is mischaracterized and not a fair representation of the discussion.”

“We think the parties’ decision not to have a public back and forth and keep our discussions private has been a positive,” Caplin said. “It’s unfortunate that someone has chosen a different path and we are going to remain focused on making an agreement.”

For as much arguing as there was in the roughly two-hour meeting at the union’s offices — and arguing in collective bargaining is not abnormal — the meeting also probably represented the most positive step the sides have taken in months.
actually, it takes 2 for a lockout and the players are as much to blame as the owners

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to be able to enjoy baseball, but I am not going to take all of this personally. I hope the end result does not hurt the game and I hope the end result doesn't mean significantly higher prices to go to the games.

I think there are some things that will hurt the game and some of those things are being negotiated. One of those things is expanded playoffs that will further water down the significance of the regular season. Another thing is earlier free agency. Guys leave soon enough as it is. I also think a draft lottery hurts the game because bad teams should draft first. We don't need a team like the Yankees having an off year, being the 10th worst team that year, and picking first.

They can get rid of every bit of the revenue sharing and free agent signing penalties as far as I am concerned.

The negotiations between the two sides is going to take some time.
I cannot do a thing about that, and they aren't taking so long just to bother me, so I am not going to let it irritate me.

Is there greed involved? Of course there is. We live in a society full of greedy people and for many that is one of the least of their character flaws. There is no inherently good side in this particular battle taking place here. There are no good guys wearing white hats and bad guys wearing black hats to choose from. The owners, the players, the media. and the fans all have their many problems. We all wear black hats at times.

I am not going to tell the owners to give away more of the money you make so I can watch baseball sooner. I am also not going to tell the players to give up on asking for more money so I can watch baseball sooner. I am certainly not going to let the baseball media tell me I should do either of those things.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the owners gave the MLBPA what they want with the Luxury Tax, agreed to get rid of the QO that hampers free agency, and agreed to increase the league minimum, I wonder if that would be enough to get a deal done.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A shame for Schilling.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had Leiter in their pocket too, right?
At least this time Suzuki wouldn't have to go back and play for free if the Red Sox do not get him. Lol. That was such a ridiculous scenario that folks expected to play out with Leiter and the Red Sox.

It is really deep into the lockout for them to break a story that Suzuki is going to sign there, what with there being rules against any communication between him and teams.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A shame for Schilling.
Double standard allowing Ortiz in. Really a Sham all the politics in all of this.

Pretty weird all this to me. What ever happened re that assassination attempt of Ortiz.
Betting full story never known. Also Dick Allen not in. What a shame