• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One avenue to possibly pursue for a backup/future catcher is selecting one from the rule V draft, could keep him as the 3rd stringer with IKF being the primary backup and UTIL guy, the are several that weren't protected out of teams top 30 them not being rangers guys means i don't know much about them or their readiness.

Red Sox- 23. Roldani Baldwin
Cubs - 20. Jhonny Pereda
Rockies - 27. Dom Nunez
Mets - 25. Ali Sanchez, 27. Patrick Mazeika

Not saying these guys are anything to get excited about but it's worth seeing if they're at least better than Trevino, or offer more upside

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One avenue to possibly pursue for a backup/future catcher is selecting one from the rule V draft, could keep him as the 3rd stringer with IKF being the primary backup and UTIL guy, the are several that weren't protected out of teams top 30 them not being rangers guys means i don't know much about them or their readiness.

Cubs - 20. Jhonny Pereda
Rockies - 27. Dom Nunez

Not saying these guys are anything to get excited about but it's worth seeing if they're at least better than Trevino, or offer more upside
I think I would take a chance with Baldwin or Pereda.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cubs - 20. Jhonny Pereda
Rockies - 27. Dom Nunez

have we seen enough of Trevino to have already given up on him

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have we seen enough of Trevino to have already given up on him

Not what this is about, i think everyone is in agreement that his bat is not ML ready, but it's not a bad idea to have extra options especially at catcher

Why not bring in another guy to see what pans out? Especially since you won't have to play him much and they aren't expecting much from catcher anyway, and IKF really helps alleviate the roster pressure

Trevino hasn't ever really rated as that high as a prospect anyway

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not what this is about, i think everyone is in agreement that his bat is not ML ready, but it's not a bad idea to have extra options especially at catcher

Why not bring in another guy to see what pans out? Especially since you won't have to play him much and they aren't expecting much from catcher anyway, and IKF really helps alleviate the roster pressure

Trevino hasn't ever really rated as that high as a prospect anyway
Well it is a write-off season so put Trevino out there and see. Put Trevino behind the plate for 75-80 games, IKF for 65-70 games and whomever for the rest

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing people out there just to roll the dice is not a plan. Players work on specific things while in MILB. Trevino was hurt to close out the year. I would think we would get one more catcher unless team is 100% sold on IKF. Can't think the guy they picked up on waivers is our future utility IF. Anothe catcher gives us a bit more flexibility. Trevino is probably in Frisco to start off the year

We hope this year is not just a wash out but pepearstion and development for better days ahead

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing people out there just to roll the dice is not a plan. Players work on specific things while in MILB. Trevino was hurt to close out the year. I would think we would get one more catcher unless team is 100% sold on IKF. Can't think the guy they picked up on waivers is our future utility IF. Anothe catcher gives us a bit more flexibility. Trevino is probably in Frisco to start off the year

We hope this year is not just a wash out but pepearstion and development for better days ahead
Come on it is wash out before it even starts. We have no starting pitching to speak of and we're in talks to trade Minor which we have even less than now. We will be lucky to not lose 100 games so why not experiment

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is a write-off season so put Trevino out there and see. Put Trevino behind the plate for 75-80 games, IKF for 65-70 games and whomever for the rest

What are you even talking about? I've been talking about bringing guys that are just as young as Trevino through the Rule V draft.... not Free Agents

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cubs - 20. Jhonny Pereda
Rockies - 27. Dom Nunez

their teams thought they were too valuable to not protect. all were put on their 40-man rosters

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their teams thought they were too valuable to not protect. all were put on their 40-man rosters
Compare Baldwin to Trevino when each of them played at the A-ball level in the same league at 21 and 22 years-old. Baldwin had an OPS about 100 points higher than Trevino did and was the younger of the two at that level.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compare Baldwin to Trevino when each of them played at the A-ball level in the same league at 21 and 22 years-old. Baldwin had an OPS about 100 points higher than Trevino did and was the younger of the two at that level.
I'm not arguing it is just go with what we have because the ones like Baldwin who is probably better are going to be protected by their teams and I'd rather see Trevino than Mathis

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing it is just go with what we have because the ones like Baldwin who is probably better are going to be protected by their teams and I'd rather see Trevino than Mathis
Baldwin is unprotected.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Baseball Prospectus Top Ten Rangers prospects list is out. I just don't get all the love for Taveras. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 5 of those guys have better careers than Taveras. I haven't felt like one of our prospects was this overrated nationally since Martin Perez was when he was a year or two away from the big leagues. I don't have a good feeling about Hearn either.

The Top Ten:

1. Leody Taveras, OF
  2. Bubba Thompson, OF
  3. Julio Pablo Martinez, OF
  4. Anderson Tejeda, SS
  5. Taylor Hearn, LHP
  6. Cole Winn, RHP
  7. Joe Palumbo, RHP
  8. Hans Crouse, RHP
  9. Tyler Phillips, RHP
  10. A.J. Alexy, RHP