• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question 1. Not yet
Question 2. Somewhat
So you are talking about signing a very high impact guy who has immediate fan appeal? Along the lines of Darvish and ARod? There aren't too many guys like that available. I don't even think Beltre had immediate fan appeal when he was signed, as least as far as a significant number of fans showing up just to see him.

I will be interested to see how you flesh this out, because I can't see much meat to put on those bones.

I believe you have an interesting idea, but I don't know if there is a way to make it work and I still don't know that the Rangers are interested in signing someone simply as a draw for 12-15 starts each year.

Then again, when they opened the present ballpark they simply let the ballpark be the draw and it was.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C Chirinos/IKF
1B Guzman/Gallo
2B Odor/IKF
3B Profar/IKF
SS Elvis/IKF
LF Gallo/Calhoun
RF Mazara/Calhoun
CF DDJ/Robinson
DH Choo/Calhoun

Minor
Volquez
Perez
Jurado
Mendez

Bullpen: Leclerc (CL), FA (deadline bait), Butler, Claudio, Springs, Sampson, Sadzeck, Pelham... probably see more of that opener crap too

65 - 97

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if we bring Hamels back if the Cubs let him walk?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watched him play as a kid. Great player. Good article
Years ago MLB teams would play preseason games in Dallas Burnett Field. My dad would take me and friends to see games. Willie Mc Covey was one of many but hard to remember most players but not Willie. He would almost always hit a HR and lite up the fans.
RIP Willie and thanks for the memories.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we and why would he want to?
Oh, I don't pretend to know why, but there were hints about that possibility when he was traded.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are talking about signing a very high impact guy who has immediate fan appeal? Along the lines of Darvish and ARod? There aren't too many guys like that available. I don't even think Beltre had immediate fan appeal when he was signed, as least as far as a significant number of fans showing up just to see him.

I will be interested to see how you flesh this out, because I can't see much meat to put on those bones.

I believe you have an interesting idea, but I don't know if there is a way to make it work and I still don't know that the Rangers are interested in signing someone simply as a draw for 12-15 starts each year.

Then again, when they opened the present ballpark they simply let the ballpark be the draw and it was.

I don’t want Kershaw but do see picking up a marquee guy to jumpstart season tickets. Just an opinion.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Years ago MLB teams would play preseason games in Dallas Burnett Field. My dad would take me and friends to see games. Willie Mc Covey was one of many but hard to remember most players but not Willie. He would almost always hit a HR and lite up the fans.
RIP Willie and thanks for the memories.
Those are great memories of a time that can’t be replaced.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the mindset of thinking that since the managerial search is still underway, that means the Rangers don't know what they're doing.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre won't be back if it depends on contending.
They convinced him a year ago that they would try to contend in 2018.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t want Kershaw but do see picking up a marquee guy to jumpstart season tickets. Just an opinion.
Chris Sale is a marquee name and he probably gets something close to 6 or 7 years for $30 million AAV. Two things come into play. Would he sign here next offseason as bad as we will be in 2019? Would we want to spend that much money on him when most of that contract we will be either too bad to go to a WS or he will be old enough to expect slippage?

Madison Bumgarner might be the only other marquee name available if SF doesn't extend him.

He has a lifetime league differential of +.50 when pitching against AL teams versus his career ERA against all teams. He has trended up the last 2 years overall so it would be very reasonable to expect his ERA to be between 3.40 and 3.50 if he stayed in the NL in 2020. If he changes leagues then you could probably expect him to have an ERA between 3.90 and 4.00 in 2020. Who knows how high it will be 2 or 3 years after that.

He is still a very big name and will no doubt land a very unwise multiyear contract somewhere north of a $25 million AAV for 5 or 6 years. I say no thank you to that.

Those two are about it. I just can't see it happening myself, but stranger things have happened, especially since JD loves himself some NL pitching. He could think a lot higher of Bumgarner than he should as he did with Hamels.

As far as needing something to jumpstart season ticket sales, I think the new stadium itself will do that. The current park saw attendance increase in a strike year that shortened the season by 50 games. Average attendance went up 12,000 per game just due to the new park. They signed no big free agents that offseason.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe JD is waiting for Santa Claus to show up so he can interview him. After all, Santa knows what all of the other GMs are doing so he might have some good information if he brings his list with him.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe JD is waiting for Santa Claus to show up so he can interview him. After all, Santa knows what all of the other GMs are doing so he might have some good information if he brings his list with him.

You sir are now on Santa’s naughty list.

There is no rule that you must decide on a manager earlier than a week from beginning of off-season. ..........Giving the benefit of the doubt is a good virtue IMO

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quiet Wednesday for Rangers could mean no managerial hire for another week

The good news Wednesday for the Texas Rangers is that no managerial candidates were subjected to the rainy, lousy weather that plagued the area.

A source said that the Rangers did not bring in anyone to vie for the vacancy, created when Jeff Banister was fired Sept. 21.

In the month since the regular season ended, sources have confirmed that the Rangers granted formal interviews to at least 10 candidates. The latest was Minnesota Twins bench coach Derek Shelton, who interviewed Tuesday.

The Rangers could also interview Los Angeles Dodgers third-base coach Chris Woodward, Boston Red Sox bench coach Ron Roenicke and Arizona Diamondbacks vice president of player development Mike Bell.

Bell is the brother of David Bell, who interviewed with the Rangers before being hired as the Cincinnati Reds’ manager. Their father is Buddy Bell, a member of the Rangers Hall of Fame.

Barring a breakthrough the next few days, the Rangers might not hire their new manager until late next week after the general manager’s meetings Monday-Nov. 8 in Carlsbad, Calif.

Besides Shelton, the other candidates believed to still be under consideration are: Eric Chavez, assistant to the Los Angeles Angels’ GM; Don Wakamatsu, Rangers interim manager; Jayce Tingler, Rangers executive/coach; Houston Astros bench coach Joe Espada; Chicago Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde; and Dusty Wathan, Philadelphia Phillies third-base coach.

The Rangers will potentially be juggling a candidate interview Friday along with decisions to make on 2019 club options for catcher Robinson Chirinos, right-hander Doug Fister and left-handers Martin Perez and Matt Moore.

Chirinos’ option for only $2.375 million will be exercised. The other three, though, could result in buyouts.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sir are now on Santa’s naughty list.

There is no rule that you must decide on a manager earlier than a week from beginning of off-season. ..........Giving the benefit of the doubt is a good virtue IMO
Keeping a sense of humor in the midst of the unusually looooonnnngggg process is a virtue as well.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C Chirinos/IKF
1B Guzman/Gallo
2B Odor/IKF
3B Profar/IKF
SS Elvis/IKF
LF Gallo/Calhoun
RF Mazara/Calhoun
CF DDJ/Robinson
DH Choo/Calhoun

Minor
Volquez
Perez
Jurado
Mendez

Bullpen: Leclerc (CL), FA (deadline bait), Butler, Claudio, Springs, Sampson, Sadzeck, Pelham... probably see more of that opener crap too

65 - 97

Have to think we are in the SP market and likely CF market. Also thinking one of our LHBs are moved