• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas & Georgia Tech to B1G rumors

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 2 choices would be ND and Texas.

After that I'd have OU (paired with Texas), UVA (or VT), UNC, Kansas, Missouri

Top 2 bundles would be ND & Texas and Texas & OU.

Well if you want to be SMART about it then fine... I thought he meant personally...

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, absent with the facts. TSU approached the LHN about showing their game b/c this game was Tier 3 and wasn't going to be on TV at all. Since TSU was the home team, they had that right. Of course TTECH was opposed b/c they didn't want to be on the LHN, but it wasn't their choice. Since TTU made a big fit about it and threatened to cancel the game, TSU decided not to have the game on the LHN after all and the game went untelevised, with both schools losing money on TV revenue.

... and Tech could have broadcast the game over the air in the Lubbock area, just like Texas did for Kansas 2 years ago. Instead, Tech chose ESPNU and fans had to pay for that to watch the game.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you want to be SMART about it then fine... I thought he meant personally...

Since I live in TX, adding UT and OU would mean more opportunities for me to travel to see an Ohio State game too. :yahoo:

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I live in TX, adding UT and OU would mean more opportunities for me to travel to see an Ohio State game too. :yahoo:

I live in Georgia, and Tallahassee is closer to me than Atlanta so...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isnt the fee for leaving the acc 50 million now? or more?

GT would make that back in 5 years by going to the B10 and thats before you talk about research money. Theyd probably make it back in 2.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GT would make that back in 5 years by going to the B10 and thats before you talk about research money. Theyd probably make it back in 2.
Uh, no. They would have the $50 million exit fee, and they would have no media right money to contribute to the conference they went to. Therefore, they would not give GaTech a share of anything. Which means it isn't happening, which is the intent of the GOR.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are the B1G and you wanted to go to 16, what schools would you poach, in order? Just curious?

Oklahoma and Va Tech.

Texas would bring good revenue as well, but aren't worth the manupulation and trouble they'd bring by threatening to leave every time they want something.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no. They would have the $50 million exit fee, and they would have no media right money to contribute to the conference they went to. Therefore, they would not give GaTech a share of anything. Which means it isn't happening, which is the intent of the GOR.

The media rights stipulation has already been shown to have no teeth and would be destroyed in court. As far as research money, this is GT we are talking about.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media rights stipulation has already been shown to have no teeth
Really. Please site us to any article that says so. I really don't think you know what you are talking about.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didnt say it was happening. I said 50 million is chump change IF GT wanted to leave. The reasearch money alone from the B10 would cover that within 2 years. People are so short sighted when it comes to these expansion scenarios. The B10 can get ANY school it wants. ANY school, unless that school is fucking retarded ( hello Notre Dame ). The CIC money is multi tens of BILLIONS of dollars.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ND to my llist as well.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Big Ten I'd want Louisville and Kansas. Mainly for basketball, but L'ville football has been pretty good lately. Kansas would fit right in with Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota.

I'd get two more contiguous markets and would now almost completely surround the state of Missouri.

Then I'd invade Missouri.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that is up in the air. The Maryland exit negotiations and court cases that are going on now will set the precedent. I don't know where you heard the 25 year TV revenue thing. That is the first I have heard of it. Even if 50mil is held up, that will pay itself off in 3-4 years in the B1G. The new ACC deal is a lot of talk without a lot of teeth. The ACC is far from stable right now. Multiple schools are being approached by multiple conferences. Those are NOT just rumors either.

The ACC structured its TV deal very like the Big 12 has done. All of the 1st & 2nd tier TV revenues go to the conference to be divied up between all of the ACC schools for the next 25 years. Basically the schools have all signed their TV rights away in all sports for the next 25 yrs.

Not sure why lawyers are saying it's illegal. If challenged in court we shall see. If an actor or a film/production company can sign its rights away for several years I don't see why schools can't do it.

Maryland got out before the new deal agreement. The agreement in place was 50 mil to get out. We'll see how the courts rule that, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt say it was happening. I said 50 million is chump change IF GT wanted to leave. The reasearch money alone from the B10 would cover that within 2 years. People are so short sighted when it comes to these expansion scenarios. The B10 can get ANY school it wants. ANY school, unless that school is fucking retarded ( hello Notre Dame ). The CIC money is multi tens of BILLIONS of dollars.
I believe you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the AAU and the CIC. The B1G through the CIC isn't handing out billions of dollars (or event millions) to member institutions. The CIC, as I understand it, is a collaboration organization that enables CIC schools to share resources (which certainly has value). But, it isn't like a school that gets in, that is already AAU, suddenly gets billions of dollars in grants they weren't already getting. The CIC's budget last year was about 16 million dollars, not anywhere near billions of dollars. The aggregate grants to the CIC member schools is in the billions, but the CIC is not a fund/grant raising organization that then parcels that out to its members. So, really, the B1G can't get anyone they want, for that reason at least.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have discussed it with people who know a hell of slot more than me. They laugh it off and basically say, that the ACC can not justify its injurious effect in court and the schools all signed it because that was well known. It was a quick patch job to keep GT and UNC out of the B1G at the 11th hour and has since been ridiculed and dismissed.

It won't keep anyone in the conference. Adding ND would.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Not true there are outs in the deal. If tier 3 pays more than the conference payout Texas can leave. I seriously doubt TExas woudl be goign to the Big 10 though. I would think it would be the Pac if anything. I also doubt Texas moves without OU or another TExas school.

There may be an "out" in the deal for Texas deal but there are no "outs" in the ACC deal. The only school that didn't want to sign it at first was FSU. I believe they did sign it, but it would still go into effect anyway because they were the only ones opposed to it.

Sure, you can leave. And thanks for all of your tv revenues for the next 25 years, free of charge, GT!

It will not happen for any ACC school in the next 20 years, guaranteed.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking over yonder......
That's what I thought. GOR is rock solid. Exit fee, not so much. There has been no litigation of challenge to a GOR in the college athletic context. GORs are upheld all the time. Period, end of story.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who discuss the research money aspect of this don't understand how that all works out. As I said earlier. I have written, had accepted, reviewed and awarded many grants, and big ones (NIH, CDC) and conference affiliation means zippy. The CIC is nice for collaborative research but if you think that B1G schools limit who they work with based on it, your nuts.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have discussed it with people who know a hell of slot more than me. They laugh it off and basically say, that the ACC can not justify its injurious effect in court and the schools all signed it because that was well known. It was a quick patch job to keep GT and UNC out of the B1G at the 11th hour and has since been ridiculed and dismissed.

It won't keep anyone in the conference. Adding ND would.

I disagree with you on both points. I believe it will keep everyone in. UNC and GT are still in and they aren't going anywhere.

Adding ND would add a lot of value to the conference but much more money can be made in the Big Ten right now. Adding ND would not change that.