• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In the Mouth of Sadness: Virginia Tech Hokies Football

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The name of the school is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University which for short is VT. Not VPISU as that would be too many letters to remember. Their team nickname is Hokies and their proud tradition of a turkey mascot goes back to at least 1981. The program's been around since 1892, but their proud tradition of winning spans back to about 1986 when Coach Bill Dooley led VPISU aka VT to a Peach Bowl win over NC State at the old Launching Pad.

Of course there was a falling out after that win along with the NCAA saying hello and Dooley siccing lawyers on the Institute and State University. After that, Frank Beamer took over and along with Bud Foster's work on defense, the Hokies have been an upper echelon program for quite a while. Losing isn't something they're used to, just ask any Virginia Cavaliers fan.

Friday Night, the Hokies of the Institute suffered their worst loss in ACC play since joining the league in 2004. That loss was to Duke whose proud tradition of winning started and ended a long ass time ago, but has since become a moderate Lazarus under head coach David Cutcliffe.

The final score of that game was 45-10 Blue Devils. Even Duke had to be shocked a little bit at being able to dominate the Institute of Polyginia the way they did. Normally they save these efforts for bowl games and the fact that I can even say that is goddamn remarkable to me.

This isn't about Duke and their quest to upend Wake Forest's road to the National Championship. This is about the State University of Virginia's Institutionalized. Much of their fandom probably felt in need of a rubber room after this loss and for what it's worth, VT fans I feel ya on that one.

Here now, excerpts from a game thread at an anonymous Virginia Tech Hokies fan site.

---

gobble gobble, chumps

Go Hokies baby! I hope to wake up to good news. Please let this age well.

No more jet sweeps!

Offense just never runs a hot route on a blitz. It is beyond their ability.

three and out for our defense. I like it.

Could... could the D be back?
qn49EC.gif

On the positive side, he did not do anything stupid with the ball.
So far, the kicking game and the defense are playing well.

Did that announcer just say that putting 11 men within 9 yds of line of scrimmage is "daring us to run" ?

one of these plays is going to handoff to Duke player in the backfield with the molasses developing time

That wildcat package is the most infuriating BS I have ever seen........We have to do something different with it other than run the QB

When you can't run the football and when you can't trust your QB to throw it...

Ugly. Only a field goal. And only reason we got a field goal was Duke penalties

Wow that scene with the robot was ridiculous. I get getting the program some ad time but then having it on a board that needed to be dragged off was bad. Put some wheels on it so it rolls off.

Duke has only 5 yards total offense in the first quarter! Bud is working his magic!

If we win 13-0 I'll celebrate the hell out of it lol...through one qtr the D looks vintage

Just wait until he puts in Vick in a few series from now.

WTH, I left when Hendon was the QB and I come back and Duke has scored?

offense fumbled it. Duke threw a 16 yard pass to a wide open tight end the next play.

Why the fuck won't the coaching staff even let Hooker throw a screen? To the slot? Just to maybe make the defense think ever so slightly it might now be a run. The incompetence is absurd. I'm over it. New head coach needed

Duke has 24 total yards and is beating us by 4.....

This result is vintage Fuente this year.

Edit: let me chill

Honestly, the way this season has been, a 4 point deficit to Duke feels insurmountable

Stick'em. I want all the money from the Drive for 25 to be allocated to buying Stick'em.

Offense has a rudder. They just have no engine and are lost at sea.

This team is one good QB away from being an 8 win team. It's frustrating.

Everyone take a very deep breath... its going to be a long night.
giphy.gif

This team and coaching is garbage. Mostly the coaching (the coaches didn't fumble that ball). Thank god I have reservations at a nice steakhouse and then laughing to Tom Segura tonight. I'm out.
If the Hokies don't have a real OC by the end of the season, they will lose a donor forever

Have fun at your steakhouse. Hope you get a nice garbage steak to go along with your garbage attitude.

Chill. No need to go at dude

Nah, I don't take it very well when people come on here and call these kids garbage. They are 18-22 year olds busting their tails off, it's garbage IMO to call them garbage.

Solid time wasting, we will run the real plays later.

End of first Quarter.
Bud Foster thought bubble.
"I am still carrying this !*&%! Offense"

Bud has to go too. I love the guy but we need a whole rebuild

Thanks for fan-splaining to us, Mr. Announcer.

Idk about y'all but I have been doing a lot of laughing this season. I think it's a "laugh to keep from crying" defense mechanism.

Now the defense looks terrible

It's almost like the Duke coaching staff made offensive adjustments.

insert your own caption... regardless of what it is this gif is appropriate for it
DependablePowerfulHarlequinbug-size_restricted.gif

Ok 14-3 this game is slipping away. Or maybe it has already slipped away. I honestly don't think the offense can catch up.

Josh Jackson just threw a pick

make an other games thread and put this in there, I don't give a damn about Josh Jackson anymore and don't care to see his name mentioned in a Game thread about VT vs Duke.

Calm down.

This team is fucking terrible. Which is a shame because there's a lot of talent out there. Justin Fuente is 100% to blame and at this point there's not much reason to think it can improve.

Honestly, I debated watching this game tonight. I'm just not sure I want to care this much about the Hokies this season, because I'm afraid my heart is going to be ripped out of my chest.

You fucking Fuente homers pointing at Hooker fumbling as a way to defend Fuente not realizing its another indictment of Fuente. This staff has to fucking go.

We wonder why our transfer portal list grows....

Me watching this game
giphy.gif

Another stalled drive. And the boo birds are out. This is just ugly.

The boo birds should be out. This is so ugly.

Duke can soak the clock the rest of the game. Our offense cannot score.

So, I've been a Fuente apologist, but I'm ready to part ways at halftime and let Bud finish out the year... can't be any worse than this shit.
Edit: I'd be willing to give him till the end of the game if he would fire Cornelson at halftime

If Duke goes up 21-3 at half I think you will see another half time exodus

Pay the fucking 15 million dollars please

This is hard to watch.

Fuck me

And that's the nuts

jesus. christ.

I'll donate to the Drive for 25 if it means getting rid of this coaching staff

Someone defend Fuente now. I fucking dare you.

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm going to do something productive with the rest of my friday night. Good luck guys, hope you pull it out. I just can't do this anymore today.

Can someone make a gif of that guy drinking that water looking supremely defeated? Because that's how I feel right now

I'm at the point I'm going to make myself sit through this game. Why? I have no idea. But I'm going to sit and take it. And search for answers

Ok, we're going to be 0-2 in conference. The season is over in terms of any kind of challenge for the Coastal.

Fuck this team.

I'd like to propose a sing along

Boyz this game is over. The offense has no identity and it totally lost. No way to make up this deficit. I am turning it off and going to work out.

I'm fully onboard for a house cleaning now. I honestly don't think we can win a single ACC game this year. We are the worst coached team in the conference. I don't think Fuente can turn this around because I don't think he knows how honestly.

Fuente fucking punked is.

We are getting de-pantsed by Duke at home in a nightgame.
Where are the Fuente supporters now????

Justin is a stupid fuck of a coach.

'Member when opposing teams feared coming into Lane Stadium for a night game on ESPN?

If this team was a student they'd have gotten "unsatisfactory progress towards a degree" and been kicked out of school.

Im going to watch volleyball the rest of the night

Are the students even staying? Not sure I would after that

Bud, yank Fu's whistle now and tell him:
tenor.gif

Can't get much worse

#DriveFor15

Some of y'all should shut the fuck up and go root for Miami and Tennessee holy shit. If you don't have a substantive critique go away. Some of us are here to read/talk about the game that's actually being played.

Substantive critique: refer to the box score.

dazed-confused-sorority-hazing.gif

I'd love to see a picture of the stadium after half time

That has to be the worst half of VT football I've ever seen.

If you gave Cutcliffe our Roster, we would be a top-30 offense. That guy has forgot more in the last week about offense than Cornelson has ever known.

Fuck, here comes the offense

There went the offense

Offensively

I'm a pretty good play caller in NCAA 14, maybe I should submit my resume...?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I honestly feel bad for the players at this point. We aren't even giving them a chance to succeed.

I've come to terms with the team. What I dont get is why Vegas hasn't figured us out. How in the hell was the line at -2.5 for us?

mad-men___perfect_time_for_a_drink.png

No we're def a basketball school now.

Is Gene Chizick watching the same game? I mean, Duke is ok on defense, but we couldn't punch our way out of a wet paper bag with the way were are playing!

I think I figured out the Problem...
corny.jpg

This is UGLY!

Awful awful awful

This is sad. So sad.

This is the 3rd time in 4 games that I've shut it off before the fourth quarter.

I swear to beelzebub, the headlines tomorrow better say Fuente and Cornelson are gone.
For fuck's sake we're making Duke look like they're on Clemson's level.

Are we the new Duke in ACC football?

I wonder what that '99 team is thinking right now.

Wow. Blown out at home in a night game at Lane against Duke!

Too Little Meet Mr. Too Late

Fuente is a wet blanket on a Cold Day.

I can't even really get mad. I guess I would have to care first. Call me a fair weather fan I'm cool with that. This coaching staff has turned me against something I love. Oh Well Maybe Next Year.

Whit would be smart to go for a full reset after this year.

I never thought I'd be pining for Duke's coaches. Yet, here we are

White pants were a bad idea...

Should've worn our brown pants to at least cover what we're doing on the field

I am miserable.

Evidently, the most interesting thing at tonight's game are our Trombone players

Hahahaha. Gonna be a looooong season boys!

I swear we only have like 5 fucking plays.
Run up the gut
Drag route
Screen
Draw
Turnover

Fuck you Fuente.
Fuck you.

I'm fishing every sat the rest of the Fuentes regime. I can not watch anymore and I remember going to lane in the mid 70's and only 14,000 in the stands. This is just as bad. I love the players. This is not on them. Good luck and health the rest of the way.

When does our basketball season start. Time to stop supporting this shit show of a football program

Have you contemplated girls field hockey? Actually better than football!

Damn Cutcliffe going a little over the top with the fake punt there

Wow, so classy Cutcliff.
giphy.gif

So many people have left now even t-mobile now has service for me to comment

Duke just rubbing it in now...

Fuck you Duke and Fuck you David Cutcliffe. That is such a punk ass fucking move up 28 in the 4th quarter.

They're practicing trick plays for games that really matter.
We are now officially a cupcake

Not even mad. I think it took this shit to put football in the proper perspective in my life's priorities lol. Not mad, just don't even care that much.

tenor.gif

On a non football complaint the lack of interaction with the fans Tech's cheerleaders have is stunning. We have fans and the cadets leading all fans in the Hokies yelling this game

I think most of the cheerleaders have entered the transfer portal

The fake punt was bush league from Cutcliffe. You're up 28 with 8 minutes to go. Don't be a dick.

Fuck David, just kick the FG you asshole.

Starting to worry about Rhode Island.

The few students that are still here in the nez must be from the psychology department studying out pain

They're practicing against us. Duke. Duke is practicing against us

Duke is dirty as fuck for going for it on 4th multiple times this late in the game. We suck and that's what I'm truly angry about but still....not cool

Duke is good, VT made some bad mistakes. I don't know if they're done for the season, but they do need some improvement all around.

Duke is not good. I'm not sure how much college football you watch, but Duke is not good.

Well. Watched until the end. And I'm numb inside

Our worst ever A.C.C. loss. We've only had two 30+ losses in the ACC and both have come under Fuente. Plus a 24 point loss to Miami last year too. ‍♂️

Fuente - What have you done to my team goddammit.
Beamer.jpg

We suck asss

Our season has now been reduced to beating UVA.

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile on Wikipedia...

EFhFoTxUUAY8Lj6

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much to read. I only looked at the pictures.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VPI (what Tech's initials were in the 1970s) might as well be prepared to make a coaching change at the end of the season. Justin Fuente has already lost the team.

I read an article before the season that pointed out how bad things got last year. A considerable group of players decided they didn't want to put in the work and didn't want to go to a bowl game and started threatening other players if they played well enough to win. A lot of players either left on their own, got kicked off the team or entered the transfer portal in the off season. But nobody knows (except the ones that are still there) how many of those departed players were the problem players and how many of them left because they were fed up with the toxic atmosphere.

Then, prior to the current season, Coach Fuentes gave in to some player demands to try to get everybody back on one page again. From here, it appears he has lost control of the inmates, and needs to be replaced by someone who is more of a disciplinarian. (Jim Harbaugh may be available soon.)

It is sad to see a once-proud program fall on such hard times.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately things have to get worse before they get better. Either way, still love God's Sport and I am a die hard Hokie fan till the grave.