• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas & Georgia Tech to B1G rumors

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See ya!

Wouldn't want to be ya!

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, you do realize that Virginia Tech has only been in the ACC for ten years right? Meanwhile GT has been in it for 35.

of course

it just seems that VT is connected to the core of the acc do in main part to geography. i just dont see those 6 schools splitting from each other.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The West division would get a hell of a lot more competitive (and fertile for recruiting) real quick.

East:
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Michigan State

West:
Nebraska
Texas
Oklahoma
Wisconsin

That's a hell of a league.

It would also be a nice even split east and west with 16 schools:

East: Rutgers, MD, PSU, Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Purdue
West: Illinios, NW, Minny, Wisky, Iowa, Neb, OU, UT

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it could happen now:

Georgia
Kentucky
Florida
South Carolina
Texas A&M

would all block it making it impossible politically.
-
I never bought that agreement. It means something in a small market like South Carolina. SEC attempted to grab FSU long ago. I think it is there for a middling asset, but if you are talking one of the gems of CFB that is out the window. Revenue is just too much to talk about some gentlemen's agreement. SEC has 2 schools in Tenn, Alabama, and Mississippi. There is precedent. Not to be a prick, but comparing a rule that applies to Louisville, GT, and Clemson to Texas is naive.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Texas leaves, OU goes with them.....that would basically end the B12, and all the GORs stuff evaporates.

Pretty much those two schools ARE the B12. So most likely they'll move in tandem, if they ever move. I still think if they were to leave, it's for the PAC, not the B1G. MAYBE the SEC......but I think that's a long shot.

It really depends on what happens in the next year at UT. Possibly a new president, a new AD and probably new coaches at the 3 main sports. Attitudes and options are going to change at Texas, and soon.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas isn't going anywhere and this is just a rumor made up by some dumbass. All of this was put to rest when TCU and WVU were added after the defections. I still think the Big 12 adds 2 more teams. Today, it's all about money. Why would Texas go to the B1G and take a major paycut? It doesn't make sense. Not to mention, the B1G is not going to allow UT to have their own network. Message board posters can make all the assumptions they want, but the facts prove Texas isn't going anywhere and the Big 12 isn't breaking up. Now, after the TV contracts expire in about 13 years, shit may start up again, but that's 13-15 years from now. Who fucking cares until then?

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont see why these teams keep leaving conferences. This probably isnt true, but it does highlight all the conference changing.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas isn't going anywhere and this is just a rumor made up by some dumbass. All of this was put to rest when TCU and WVU were added after the defections. I still think the Big 12 adds 2 more teams. Today, it's all about money. Why would Texas go to the B1G and take a major paycut? It doesn't make sense. Not to mention, the B1G is not going to allow UT to have their own network. Message board posters can make all the assumptions they want, but the facts prove Texas isn't going anywhere and the Big 12 isn't breaking up. Now, after the TV contracts expire in about 13 years, shit may start up again, but that's 13-15 years from now. Who fucking cares until then?

Not sure how you figure they would be taking a paycut of any sort. The move would be lucrative for UT.

I think any LHN issues could be worked out if it was something UT was adamant about keeping. Plenty of work arounds and I don't see that as the single roadblock that would stop an agreement.

Ultimately, you're right that Texas is going to stay in the B12 for the short term and in all likelihood the long term as well. Still, its fun to speculate.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont see why these teams keep leaving conferences. This probably isnt true, but it does highlight all the conference changing.

Various reasons. Schools like TCU and WVU change conferences so they can get into the national picture. Schools like Maryland switch because its a more financially beneficial deal. Schools like Texas and Nebraska move for different reasons all together: prestige, a chance to be a part of something bigger than they currently are in, security, stability, etc etc.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you figure they would be taking a paycut of any sort. The move would be lucrative for UT.

I think any LHN issues could be worked out if it was something UT was adamant about keeping. Plenty of work arounds and I don't see that as the single roadblock that would stop an agreement.

Ultimately, you're right that Texas is going to stay in the B12 for the short term and in all likelihood the long term as well. Still, its fun to speculate.

Texas currently makes anywhere between $31M-$35M a year in TV revenue (LHN deal and Big 12 TV deal). Are you telling me the B1G would match that just to get Texas to join?

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Various reasons. Schools like TCU and WVU change conferences so they can get into the national picture. Schools like Maryland switch because its a more financially beneficial deal. Schools like Texas and Nebraska move for different reasons all together: prestige, a chance to be a part of something bigger than they currently are in, security, stability, etc etc.

But it seems to kill rivalries.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas currently makes anywhere between $31M-$35M a year in TV revenue (LHN deal and Big 12 TV deal). Are you telling me the B1G would match that just to get Texas to join?

The revenue from the B1G TV deal is supposed to be in the $40m per school region by 2017 and in the mid 30s for 2014-2015. Keep in mind, that's w/o adding UT and whomever else (I'd love to see both UT and OU). So, one could reasonably assume that the addition of UT plus school X would boost TV revenue further, into the $45-50m range. So, by joining, UT would actually make more.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it seems to kill rivalries.

It does in some cases. Mizzou's rivalries are all but dead. The big Neb-OU rivalry died when the B12 was formed, and you can make the case for several other rivalries dieing out due to expansion. It also creates new rivalries though and if schools really want to preserve a rivalry game, they can play OOC (see FSU-UF, Clem-SC, etc etc). It would certainly kill regional rivalries if you left your conference though. A&M's rivalries with TTU and OU are things of the past, but they get to pick up and develop new rivalries. Its not all bad.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is also the rumor of Texas + Kansas + Oklahoma + three more schools for a 20 team B1G.

All rumor bullshit aside....

Depending (just a little) on the other three schools, that would make an amazing conference.

That's all I got, carry on.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'll really T me off if Texas were to leave the B12.

Don't lose any sleep. Texas is happier than a pig in shit controlling the strings of the Big XII.

If there's any substace here, it's what further consessions is Texas looking to get from it's peasants now?