• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teams looking at Jim Tomsula as head coach

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not DL coaches like Tomsula. He is a valued coach and a great leader on that D-line. I dont see Ray Mac being as good as he is without him imo

As talented as those guys are athletically it is inexcusable that they pressure the passer so poorly. That's gotta be on Tomsula.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As talented as those guys are athletically it is inexcusable that they pressure the passer so poorly. That's gotta be on Tomsula.

Again, see above ^^^. In a 3-4 defense, the DE are not pass rushers as much as they are runstoppers/hole fillers. It is the OLB's that are the pass rushers. The MLB are tacklers which means they fill gaps on run plays and coverage on pass plays.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, see above ^^^. In a 3-4 defense, the DE are not pass rushers as much as they are runstoppers/hole fillers. It is the OLB's that are the pass rushers. The MLB are tacklers which means they fill gaps on run plays and coverage on pass plays.

And I believe, as far as a pass rush goes, they work in conjunction with the D line and Tomsula is responsible for their pass rushing ability?

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I believe, as far as a pass rush goes, they work in conjunction with the D line and Tomsula is responsible for their pass rushing ability?

The D-Line is responsible for filling holes and taking on lineman. it isnt there fault or Tomsulas that they arent getting to the QB.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D-Line is responsible for filling holes and taking on lineman. it isnt there fault or Tomsulas that they arent getting to the QB.

In the run game, yes, not in the pass rush. I would like to see more stunting and working in tandem with other linemen ather than the straight old bull rush that just gets blocked by the O linemen. if their only job is to take on linemen and fill holes then they are not collasping the pocket which is absolutely critical to a good pass rush

If its not Tomsula's fault, then whose fault is it? Someone has got to take the bull by the horns and take responsibility to make this pass rush more effective or the season will end this Sunday. Give Rodgers the time and space that they gave Palmer and Ryan and the Niners are done.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the run game, yes, not in the pass rush. I would like to see more stunting and working in tandem with other linemen ather than the straight old bull rush that just gets blocked by the O linemen. if their only job is to take on linemen and fill holes then they are not collasping the pocket which is absolutely critical to a good pass rush

If its not Tomsula's fault, then whose fault is it? Someone has got to take the bull by the horns and take responsibility to make this pass rush more effective or the season will end this Sunday. Give Rodgers the time and space that they gave Palmer and Ryan and the Niners are done.
Wrong. Even on passing downs the DL's job is to take up blocks, double teams, and free up space so the linebackers can rush the passer. (for the most part) That is the 3-4 defense.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Even on passing downs the DL's job is to take up blocks, double teams, and free up space so the linebackers can rush the passer. (for the most part) That is the 3-4 defense.

No. Their job is to collapse the pocket when pass rushing. The worst thing for a Qb is to have a big pass rush in his face. A linebacker coming from the side is of little consequence to a polished pocket passer who will simply step up in the pocket if the interior linemen don't get a push.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Their job is to collapse the pocket when pass rushing. The worst thing for a Qb is to have a big pass rush in his face. A linebacker coming from the side is of little consequence to a polished pocket passer who will simply step up in the pocket if the interior linemen don't get a push.
Yes, thats what I meant by the double team and in an earlier post "disrupt the pocket".

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see this happening because I believe Tomsula was a championship winning NFL Europe coach, and it was easy to see how much the Niners wanted to win for him when he coached the final game of the season in 2010. It would be a sad sight to see him go, but you never get to keep all the good coaches forever.

I question if the Lions would be the ones to hire him, though, as the ghost of Rod Marinelli is probably still in the stadium, continuously failing to pass rush his way out of there.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stunts? :wtf2: you think the D-Line coach calls the stunts? Have you ever even played organized ball. I was A NT in a 3-4. The DL job is not pass rushing. That is the LB, and soemtimes the DL can beat the double team and get a sack but again it is not their job. The Defensive play has the stunt in it. The DL cant just go any twist or flare they want its in accordance of the play and where the LBers are going. If the DL did that they would have LBers running into them all the time. We also dont really have ends we have DT's. we do not play a traditional 3-4.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stunts? :wtf2: you think the D-Line coach calls the stunts? Have you ever even played organized ball. I was A NT in a 3-4. The DL job is not pass rushing. That is the LB, and soemtimes the DL can beat the double team and get a sack but again it is not their job. The Defensive play has the stunt in it. The DL cant just go any twist or flare they want its in accordance of the play and where the LBers are going. If the DL did that they would have LBers running into them all the time. We also dont really have ends we have DT's. we do not play a traditional 3-4.

:clap:

And maybe it's just me, but I don't even know why anyone would complain about this because I'm pretty sure SF has been calling stunts for most of the season. I specifically remember Justin Smith doing some stunts during the Washington game. That is, unless Justin Smith starting to pass rush, then pulling up a bit and slide over behind TJE, breaking through the oline, and embarrassing Roy Helu Jr doesn't count as a stunt.

I mean, SF must be doing something to get to the QB because Justin Smith has 2 sacks over the last 3 games. Really the guy who's slowed down is Ahmad Brooks, who hasn't had a sack in over 5 games, which might be because he was getting hot and teams have begun to game plan against him more than before.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:clap:

And maybe it's just me, but I don't even know why anyone would complain about this because I'm pretty sure SF has been calling stunts for most of the season. I specifically remember Justin Smith doing some stunts during the Washington game. That is, unless Justin Smith starting to pass rush, then pulling up a bit and slide over behind TJE, breaking through the oline, and embarrassing Roy Helu Jr doesn't count as a stunt.

I mean, SF must be doing something to get to the QB because Justin Smith has 2 sacks over the last 3 games. Really the guy who's slowed down is Ahmad Brooks, who hasn't had a sack in over 5 games, which might be because he was getting hot and teams have begun to game plan against him more than before.

Yeah I think Toby just wants something to complain about.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who'd want him? He coached in NFL Europe. Right? No respectable head coach would turn to NFL Europe to get an assistant coach. Give Bill Belichick a pass. I guess he was just out of his mind or something when he tried prying him away from NFLE. Ah, I'll drop that oldie but goodie.

My new favorite one why nobody will want him or should want him around is because he can't coach guys to rush the passer. That's probably my new favorite fan observation of anything I've seen recently.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who'd want him? He coached in NFL Europe. Right? No respectable head coach would turn to NFL Europe to get an assistant coach. Give Bill Belichick a pass. I guess he was just out of his mind or something when he tried prying him away from NFLE. Ah, I'll drop that oldie but goodie.

My new favorite one why nobody will want him or should want him around is because he can't coach guys to rush the passer. That's probably my new favorite fan observation of anything I've seen recently.

You are giving TT quite a bit of credit by actually calling him a "fan".

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That wasn't directed at just him for the record.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would certainly hope so since it is his players performing them.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would certainly hope so since it is his players performing them.

Fangio is the one calling the plays and is in charge of the scheme.

Tomsula coaches up the DL when it comes to performing stunts but he's not the one calling them in game.

My take on the pass rush is it's a mixture of a couple things.

One we typically only rush 4 which means you better have great coverage to give the guys up front to get to the QB. I thought the past 2 games we were getting a rush but Palmer and Ryan were just getting rid of the ball quickly which I hang on the scheme and coverage.

I blame scheme as well because if I have one gripe about Fangio it's that he relies too much on physical talent and doesn't throw much that will confuse opposing offenses. It seems rare that we confuse opposing QBs and make them unsure of what to do.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangio is the one calling the plays and is in charge of the scheme.

Tomsula coaches up the DL when it comes to performing stunts but he's not the one calling them in game.

My take on the pass rush is it's a mixture of a couple things.

One we typically only rush 4 which means you better have great coverage to give the guys up front to get to the QB. I thought the past 2 games we were getting a rush but Palmer and Ryan were just getting rid of the ball quickly which I hang on the scheme and coverage.

I blame scheme as well because if I have one gripe about Fangio it's that he relies too much on physical talent and doesn't throw much that will confuse opposing offenses. It seems rare that we confuse opposing QBs and make them unsure of what to do.

Agreed. Roman does the same thing except for the 1st quarter of the Arizona game, which, coincidentally, they dominated.