• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tate Martell

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said that Ohio St hiring new coaches was a hardship...in the post I quoted, dipshit.
I quoted the word hardship, dumbass

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the contract was fulfilled. That's how it works in those kinds of contracts, he just won't keep getting paid. Never mind you're talking about a fucking position coach.

Saban has no buyout, can leave tomorrow and do whatever he wants.

And the notion that anything is unfair to these kids is just plain bullshit. But as I said earlier, it's damn near impossible to try and talk sense into people who think every establishment in the world is just another extension of mommy and daddy's pockets for adults. That school just spent 6 figures over the past year feeding, training and educating that person? According to people like you - doesn't matter and why? Because some position coach left? Fuck you and your ignorance.
I have no problem with the free market in this case. Let the kids play wherever they want. If the situation changes, from a coach leaving, to a University scandal to, hell, they don't like the weather (or the school recruits someone to replace them), let them leave without penalty. You don't have a valid argument against this other than, "it's the way it is", which isn't an argument so much as stating the current broken system.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with the free market in this case. Let the kids play wherever they want. If the situation changes, from a coach leaving, to a University scandal to, hell, they don't like the weather (or the school recruits someone to replace them), let them leave without penalty. You don't have a valid argument against this other than, "it's the way it is", which isn't an argument so much as stating the current broken system.

Well apparently you do have a problem with the free market in this case since you are arguing against it.

But I'm not surprised you haven't a fucking clue what the words "free market" mean or why contracts(and their fulfillment) are extremely important in them and necessary to maintain the integrity and structure of things.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well apparently you do have a problem with the free market in this case since you are arguing against it.

But I'm not surprised you haven't a fucking clue what the words "free market" mean or why contracts(and their fulfillment) are extremely important in them and necessary to maintain the integrity and structure of things.
The NCAA is an acting governing body prohibiting the free market of college players. It's very literally not a free market.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is an acting governing body prohibiting the free market of college players. It's very literally not a free market.

You're a fucking dumbass. They sign the contracts and ACCEPT SCHOLARSHIPS from the schools. Nobody forces them too. Making someone keep their end of a contract doesn't mean it's not a free market.

You know what? When many people turn 18, rather than accepting such an "unfair" scholarship, they instead signed a contract to join the military. Do you think they were allowed to "transfer" because they was unhappy? People would quit the military on the 3rd day 80% of the time if they were allowed too, because it fucking sucks. But they signed a contract and they are held to it. Even if at times it means dying and shit for things they don't understand.

Why do they do this? Put up with all that bullshit, possibly put their lives on the line? Most of the time it's so they can get an education with the GI bill. They do all that most times just for the BASIC FUCKING PART of what these kids are accepting. Not included are all the extras these kids get.

Other people are putting themselves in tremendous debt to do these things, which will take them years of their life in actual labor to pay off.

And then I have to sit here and listen to stupid fucks like you talk about how unfair and bad these kids are treated and it's just mind blowing to me that your entire vision of reality and what most people deal with is so far off.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a fucking dumbass. They sign the contracts and ACCEPT SCHOLARSHIPS from the schools. Nobody forces them too. Making someone keep their end of a contract doesn't mean it's not a free market.

You know what? When many people turn 18, rather than accepting such an "unfair" scholarship, they instead signed a contract to join the military. Do you think they were allowed to "transfer" because they was unhappy? People would quit the military on the 3rd day 80% of the time if they were allowed too, because it fucking sucks. But they signed a contract and they are held to it. Even if at times it means dying and shit for things they don't understand.

Why do they do this? Put up with all that bullshit, possibly put their lives on the line? Most of the time it's so they can get an education with the GI bill. They do all that most times just for the BASIC FUCKING PART of what these kids are accepting. Not included are all the extras these kids get.

Other people are putting themselves in tremendous debt to do these things, which will take them years of their life in actual labor to pay off.

And then I have to sit here and listen to stupid fucks like you talk about how unfair and bad these kids are treated and it's just mind blowing to me that your entire vision of reality and what most people deal with is so far off.
And all those scholarships and contracts are regulated by the NCAA to the point where they're basically identical school to school because of those regulations. That's not the free market, again, you have a governing body basically giving a single contract to all schools to use because they aren't free to use their own.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's just the fact of the matter that you sign contracts with schools, not coaches.

Period.

Argue it if you want, but you're just stupid.
Oh really? So you're telling me when a kid sends a NLI, it's a 4 year contract with the school? That's news to me. Martell came to OSU. He put in his time. Things changed and he made a move that was clearly in his best interest. College football isn't what it used to be back in the day. It's dramatically different, and everyone knows that. Grow up.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comparing college football and the military is retarded. Like, unfathomably retarded.

upload_2019-3-20_15-56-49.png

Take a look above. Martell more than lived up to his NLI. He owed Ohio State NOTHING. He has every right to transfer to continue his college career.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh really? So you're telling me when a kid sends a NLI, it's a 4 year contract with the school? That's news to me. Martell came to OSU. He put in his time. Things changed and he made a move that was clearly in his best interest. College football isn't what it used to be back in the day. It's dramatically different, and everyone knows that. Grow up.

It's 1 year contract in most cases, and yes it's with the school, not the coach.

If that's news to you, then....:lol:

And college football isn't what it used to be back in the day? Ummm, yes it is. Only now the NCAA is allowing kids to transfer and shit immediately with bullshit reasons for excuse because SOCIETY has changed dramatically and is a bunch of entitled bitches and it's just not with the PR to fight the ignorant bitches.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing college football and the military is retarded. Like, unfathomably retarded.

Yeah, because it's apparently ok to treat the people who fight for the country like shit and pay them less than minimum wage, but the guy who might have to sit out a year in college football while living an extremely privileged life is a victim.

Fuck you.

View attachment 200655

Take a look above. Martell more than lived up to his NLI. He owed Ohio State NOTHING. He has every right to transfer to continue his college career.[/QUOTE]

Except you took a small portion of a page and for some reason you are pretending like that's everything? If what you said was true, there would be no discussion here at all.

But sure dude, asserting things makes them true....

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 1 year contract in most cases, and yes it's with the school, not the coach.

If that's news to you, then....:lol:

And college football isn't what it used to be back in the day? Ummm, yes it is. Only now the NCAA is allowing kids to transfer and shit immediately with bullshit reasons for excuse because SOCIETY has changed dramatically and is a bunch of entitled bitches and it's just not with the PR to fight the ignorant bitches.
It's NOT a 4 year commitment. Do you understand that?

And no, it's definitely, unquestionably not. It's a business. Coaches are making exponentially more than they were 20-30 years ago, and schools are taking in revenue at levels that have never even remotely been seen before. It's completely different than it used to be. Everyone knows this.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all those scholarships and contracts are regulated by the NCAA to the point where they're basically identical school to school because of those regulations. That's not the free market, again, you have a governing body basically giving a single contract to all schools to use because they aren't free to use their own.

Yes it's a free market because they do not have to sign. They are offers made to them and they are FREELY ACCEPTING THEM.

Did you go to Michigan?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because it's apparently ok to treat the people who fight for the country like shit and pay them less than minimum wage, but the guy who might have to sit out a year in college football while living an extremely privileged life is a victim.

Fuck you.

View attachment 200655

Take a look above. Martell more than lived up to his NLI. He owed Ohio State NOTHING. He has every right to transfer to continue his college career.

Except you took a small portion of a page and for some reason you are pretending like that's everything? If what you said was true, there would be no discussion here at all.

But sure dude, asserting things makes them true....
You're the dumbshit that brought the military into this, so fuck you. Nobody ever said anything about "victims". Good lord, get your shit together.

Did Martell not attend OSU for a full year as a full-time student? Does it not very clearly state the NLI is satisfied in that event?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't help but just laugh at idiots with their archaic reasoning for wanting to hold a kid back from pursuing his dreams. It's unbelievable.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's NOT a 4 year commitment. Do you understand that?

The 1st sentence of the post you quoted directly said: It's 1 year contract in most cases, and yes it's with the school, not the coach.

But sure, I'm the one that doesn't understand and you're not the one who's just trying to use the years to divert away from the part that actually mattered - school vs coach.

And no, it's definitely, unquestionably not. It's a business. Coaches are making exponentially more than they were 20-30 years ago, and schools are taking in revenue at levels that have never even remotely been seen before. It's completely different than it used to be. Everyone knows this.

No, what most people know is that it's basically ALWAYS been the trend that every year someone is the new "highest ever paid" whatever. And not just in college football coaches but basically everything. It's called inflation and the fact that the economic gap has grown in our country over the past 40 years by a good bit.

Not sure how old you are, but after a few decades of the same pattern it kind of becomes a bit obvious.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it's a free market because they do not have to sign. They are offers made to them and they are FREELY ACCEPTING THEM.

Did you go to Michigan?
Yes, and clearly you didn't. Because I fully understand that for a free market to exist, the "options" must be unrestricted. A restricted market, IE you can choose to sign a very limited contact with a school to play football or not play football, is not in fact a free market.

"In a free market, the laws and forces of supply and demand are free from any intervention by a government, or by other authority."

So when the NCAA limits the contracts these kids can sign, and regulates what happens if they want to switch to another school, that is very literally not a free market.

You're laughably trying to suggest that because these kids "freely" sign said contract that the market is free; which isn't the case. In a very restricted market, these kids choose the best options they have. Much like I continue to pay Comcast for internet. I signed a contract with Comcast. Hate Comcast. But they are literally the only option for internet in my area because of government regulated utility lines and the limited access to those lines. That is not a free market. My option to have internet and go with Comcast or not have internet is not a a choice, but a choice made in a restricted and highly regulated market.

You don't seem to understand the distinction between free choice and free market.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the dumbshit that brought the military into this, so fuck you. Nobody ever said anything about "victims". Good lord, get your shit together.

You mean I brought up the shit people go through just for a fraction of the benefit these kids are given? How terrible.

Did Martell not attend OSU for a full year as a full-time student? Does it not very clearly state the NLI is satisfied in that event?

That's just a small part of the NLI. As I said before, if that was all there was too it, there would be no discussion.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1st sentence of the post you quoted directly said: It's 1 year contract in most cases, and yes it's with the school, not the coach.

But sure, I'm the one that doesn't understand and you're not the one who's just trying to use the years to divert away from the part that actually mattered - school vs coach.

No, what most people know is that it's basically ALWAYS been the trend that every year someone is the new "highest ever paid" whatever. And not just in college football coaches but basically everything. It's called inflation and the fact that the economic gap has grown in our country over the past 40 years by a good bit.

Not sure how old you are, but after a few decades of the same pattern it kind of becomes a bit obvious.
LOL this is just flatout factually wrong, and the examples of why are easy to find:

In 1982, the landmark "highest ever paid" coach was Bear Bryant, with a $450,000 salary. In 2018 dollars, that would be $1.1m, which would have put him in a tie for 79th with Frank Wilson at UTSA and Randy Edsall at UConn.

In 1995, the new benchmark was Bobby Bowden at $975,000, which went to over $1m with performance bonuses. In 2018 dollars, that would be $1.8m, which would've had him at 66th in the nation.

College coach salaries have absolutely rocketed past inflation several times over. So yes, college football is dramatically different from what it was even 20 years ago in terms of salaries. Again, everyone knows this. Except you, apparently.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and clearly you didn't. Because I fully understand that for a free market to exist, the "options" must be unrestricted. A restricted market, IE you can choose to sign a very limited contact with a school to play football or not play football, is not in fact a free market.

"In a free market, the laws and forces of supply and demand are free from any intervention by a government, or by other authority."

So when the NCAA limits the contracts these kids can sign, and regulates what happens if they want to switch to another school, that is very literally not a free market.

You're laughably trying to suggest that because these kids "freely" sign said contract that the market is free; which isn't the case. In a very restricted market, these kids choose the best options they have. Much like I continue to pay Comcast for internet. I signed a contract with Comcast. Hate Comcast. But they are literally the only option for internet in my area because of government regulated utility lines and the limited access to those lines. That is not a free market. My option to have internet and go with Comcast or not have internet is not a a choice, but a choice made in a restricted and highly regulated market.

You don't seem to understand the distinction between free choice and free market.

You are claiming the NCAA is in a position of power over all football. They are not, nor do they make regulations for all of football etc.

In otherwords - you aren't even describing the actual market. The actual market exists between football organizations like the NFL, XFL, NCAA, AAF, CFL etc. All of these options are available, they choose to sign a contract with an NCAA school.

Btw - walk ons can transfer every year all they want.