• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tate Martell

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^ Would have no chance to get into Ohio State right now

Unless I was going back for my doctorate — I’d have no use to go back to any school.

But I do completely understand why Martell was granted a hardship waiver. Not much you can do with an OSU degree.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step 1: Go learn what the NCAA actually is.
The NCAA is a governing body of college athletics, chosen by those athletic institutions. It's very literally a governing body limiting the free market surrounding college sports.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless I was going back for my doctorate — I’d have no use to go back to any school.

But I do completely understand why Martell was granted a hardship waiver. Not much you can do with an OSU degree.

I’m all for trash talking but good grief... :L

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is a governing body of college athletics, chosen by those athletic institutions. It's very literally a governing body limiting the free market surrounding college sports.

:lol:

The NCAA serves the schools, it is NOT an outside organization doing things for itself, for profit or just because it chooses too. Nor does it just up and put these things in as they please and such. The rules and regulations in the NCAA are put there by the schools, not the NCAA.

It does not operate separately or without the consent of the schools.

Furthermore, it is in the end 100% powerless and has no real governing authority. They can't do the things real governing bodies do. They can't force someone to testify in front of them etc. That's why it's so difficult for them to really do anything to prevent cheating and such. At best they can declare a guy ineligible or punish the school in the athletic departments etc - all of which the schools are still agreeing too.

And when the NCAA doesn't suit their purposes, they just go without them. Such as is the case with FBS and the BCS/Playoffs etc. The NCAA isn't even involved in those deals. Also why there is talk of FBS just leaving the NCAA altogether - so much for that "governing body" having authority. Let's see you opt out of a system under a real governing body. You can't - well except that we live in a free market and that is why the schools can just choose what they want.

So, sorry - while the NCAA may be the one who "enforces" the rules, they are put there because the schools wanted it there. Because they need it to be there because it's the only form of protection they have. And it's done to protect the smaller schools, not the big schools.

But I'm sure if you post the same comment 5 more times, it might come true.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NCAA serves the schools, it is NOT an outside organization doing things for itself, for profit or just because it chooses too. Nor does it just up and put these things in as they please and such. The rules and regulations in the NCAA are put there by the schools, not the NCAA.

Furthermore, it is in the end 100% powerless and has no real governing authority. They can't do the things real governing bodies do. They can't force someone to testify in front of them etc. That's why it's so difficult for them to really do anything to prevent cheating and such. At best they can declare a guy ineligible or punish the school in the athletic departments etc - all of which the schools are still agreeing too.

And when the NCAA doesn't suit their purposes, they just go without them. Such as is the case with FBS and the BCS/Playoffs etc. The NCAA isn't even involved in those deals. Also why there is talk of FBS just leaving the NCAA altogether - so much for that "governing body" having authority. Let's see you opt out of a system under a real governing body. You can't - well except that we live in a free market and that is why the schools can just choose what they want.

So, sorry - while the NCAA may be the one who "enforces" the rules, they are put there because the schools wanted it there. Because they need it to be there because it's the only form of protection they have. And it's done to protect the smaller schools, not the big schools.

Cliff notes version
HelpfulDefinitiveCleanerwrasse-size_restricted.gif

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's becoming ridiculous. Especially with QB's. There is no hardship here. You picked your college, so stick with it.
I too, think a decision a kid makes at 17 should be permanent and binding

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too, think a decision a kid makes at 17 should be permanent and binding

The parents are usually involved in this decision also. In addition, it's not like the old days. You are aware of who is there, when they're likely to leave and your chances of beating them out.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No sense in awarding multi-year scholarships if the players can leave any time they want, and no reason the coaches shouldn’t cut the ones who don’t pan out.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you realize what a governing body is? Our government doesn't operate without the consent of the people. The governing body for colleges, that they've elected, chooses to limit the free market on college athletes. Stop being dumb.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you realize what a governing body is? Our government doesn't operate without the consent of the people. The governing body for colleges, that they've elected, chooses to limit the free market on college athletes. Stop being dumb.

Our government does not operate on the consent of the people. You have never once consented to the government, nor has it ever asked for your consent, nor will it.

At best you get to choose between the few puppets selected for you and then they just do whatever the fuck they want to do, which basically means whatever it was they were paid to do by whatever influence.

But we can bitch about it, and that's better than nothing.

If you think it's the same thing, let me see you opt out. You can't, at best you could merely opt-in to a different government, where they will still not ask for your consent.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our government does not operate on the consent of the people. You have never once consented to the government, nor has it ever asked for your consent, nor will it.

At best you get to choose between the few puppets selected for you and then they just do whatever the fuck they want to do, which basically means whatever it was they were paid to do by whatever influence.

If you think it's the same thing, let me see you opt out. You can't, at best you could merely opt-in to a different government, where they will still not ask for your consent.
The NCAA is a governing body, stop being stupid.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could "opt out" in a sense... Go off the grid, and live a hermit life.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s just good to know a guy from a lil ole SEC school qualifies for the rigorous academic standards of the B1G!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is a governing body, stop being stupid.

Not in the way you are trying to claim. Not even close. It's just a non-profit organization that regulates those who choose to participate while at the same time acting as an agent to those they represent(the schools) where needed.

Trying to compare that to an actual government to try and say the free market is not allowed to happen is bullshit. As I've already pointed out, they have no actual power beyond that which is given to them voluntarily. You can right now go start an alternative for all these players, aka a free market. The NCAA will have no power, because it's not a true governing body.

And btw, the NFL doesn't want kids that young because they aren't worth the money people claim they are worth until AFTER they have college training - where they are supposedly being ripped off so badly.

If a player doesn't want to sit out, they can always pay for college themselves and play as a walk-on. You can transfer and play immediately every year. Or if they don't want to go to college, they can always pay a bunch of experts and train themselves. But for some odd reason, most of them keep choosing to get ripped off...Maybe because people like you who think that are a bunch of fucking idiots.