• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tate Martell

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean I brought up the shit people go through just for a fraction of the benefit these kids are given? How terrible.

That's just a small part of the NLI. As I said before, if that was all there was too it, there would be no discussion.
So you're telling me because military servicemen and servicewomen go through a really shitty boot camp experience (which is true), it means college athletes absolutely must sit out a year when they transfer? There's no correlation there, which is why bringing the military into this conversation made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Martell put in his time. He deserves to go where he wants to put himself in the best place to succeed. It takes a pretty awful person to disagree with that notion.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL this is just flatout factually wrong, and the examples of why are easy to find:

In 1982, the landmark "highest ever paid" coach was Bear Bryant, with a $450,000 salary. In 2018 dollars, that would be $1.1m, which would have put him in a tie for 79th with Frank Wilson at UTSA and Randy Edsall at UConn.

In 1995, the new benchmark was Bobby Bowden at $975,000, which went to over $1m with performance bonuses. In 2018 dollars, that would be $1.8m, which would've had him at 66th in the nation.

College coach salaries have absolutely rocketed past inflation several times over. So yes, college football is dramatically different from what it was even 20 years ago in terms of salaries. Again, everyone knows this. Except you, apparently.

Go ahead and prove what I said to be true while saying I'm wrong.

:clap:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me because military servicemen and servicewomen go through a really shitty boot camp experience (which is true), it means college athletes absolutely must sit out a year when they transfer? There's no correlation there, which is why bringing the military into this conversation made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Martell put in his time. He deserves to go where he wants to put himself in the best place to succeed. It takes a pretty awful person to disagree with that notion.

So it's only bootcamp that military people deal with?

And no correlation among people who turn 18 and are using different means towards the same goal? :lol:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why he had a choice on signing the contract with the school or not.

You can't just say "oh well I'm not happy, fuck your contract".
He signed to be coached by Meyer. OSU and Meyer broke that contract.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed to be coached by Meyer. OSU and Meyer broke that contract.

No, he didn't, and no they didn't.

And I'm really not going to sit here and argue documented fact anymore. You may not like what happened, but I'm not going to entertain these bullshit assertions anymore.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I'm really not going to sit here and argue documented fact anymore. You may not like what happened, but I'm not going to entertain these bullshit assertions anymore.

Fact is that Tate transferred

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's only bootcamp that military people deal with?

And no correlation among people who turn 18 and are using different means towards the same goal? :lol:
So people in the military are going into service to go to the NFL? Is that what you think?

Again - you brought the military into this. It makes no sense, and the comparison is weak and stupid.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and prove what I said to be true while saying I'm wrong.

Is what what you say to make yourself feel better about being proven unequivocally wrong?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are claiming the NCAA is in a position of power over all football. They are not, nor do they make regulations for all of football etc.

In otherwords - you aren't even describing the actual market. The actual market exists between football organizations like the NFL, XFL, NCAA, AAF, CFL etc. All of these options are available, they choose to sign a contract with an NCAA school.

Btw - walk ons can transfer every year all they want.
Just a ridiculous argument. Yes, the NCAA is in a position of power over college football. The NFL basically has a locked in agreement with the NCAA to develop these players so they can draft them after 2 seasons. These kids aren't going to make the NFL if they don't go to college football, that's how that works. The NCAA controls these kid's ability to make it into the NFL. There is no college football without the NCAA and there's no other development leagues outside college football. Even JUCO is under the NCAA umbrella. They very literally control all football developmental programs. What you're suggesting would be like me saying, "if you don't like Comcast, then start your own ISP". It's a stupid comment to make.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not like it? You are confused I am ok with what happened. Bad day?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like it? You are confused I am ok with what happened. Bad day?

I didn't mean in this particular case since he got to transfer on some bullshit, I mean the way things work.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a ridiculous argument. Yes, the NCAA is in a position of power over college football. The NFL basically has a locked in agreement with the NCAA to develop these players so they can draft them after 2 seasons. These kids aren't going to make the NFL if they don't go to college football, that's how that works. The NCAA controls these kid's ability to make it into the NFL. There is no college football without the NCAA and there's no other development leagues outside college football. Even JUCO is under the NCAA umbrella. They very literally control all football developmental programs. What you're suggesting would be like me saying, "if you don't like Comcast, then start your own ISP". It's a stupid comment to make.

Step 1: Go learn what the NCAA actually is.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is what what you say to make yourself feel better about being proven unequivocally wrong?

You demonstrated that salaries would increase due to inflation even if they would stay even.

Not my fault you're a dumbass and tried to pretend I said it was the only reason when I in fact said it was part of the reason.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So people in the military are going into service to go to the NFL? Is that what you think?

Again - you brought the military into this. It makes no sense, and the comparison is weak and stupid.

Less than 1% of college players make it into the NFL.

I brought up an example of what other kids that age are going through just to get a small fraction of the benefits these players that are having to deal with this "unfair" system are getting.

Of course you don't want to acknowledge it as valid because it makes your argument that they are treated unfairly look like shit in comparison. You instead want to pretend like they are all NFL players worth millions being denied their due right.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean in this particular case since he got to transfer on some bullshit, I mean the way things work.
The way things work all around sucks.

I should have much more say in play calling. Especially when they are sucking it up.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The direction it is headed are transfers like Martell's. Your opinion will not change that

If it does then it does. I think the rich will get richer and that won't be good in the end, but at least I won't have to listen to people saying a bunch of stupid shit to justify it in the process.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason anymore that the transfer rule should even be in place. I'm extremely happy for Martell. He committed to play for Urban, and then he retired and it was clear the new HC didn't have him in his plans. College football is big business. I'm not for paying kids, but with the amount of money schools get for these kids, you could at least make it easier for them to put themselves in the best position to succeed.

As it's been said, if a coach can up and leave a school on a whim and take a job elsewhere, kids should be able to be too. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of these kids on 1-year scholarships that just renew every year? If so, it shouldn't be a big deal for them to transfer elsewhere and get another 1-year scholarship.