• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Super Bowl XLIX: Seattle Seahawks vs. New England Patriots Game Day Thread

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have a question on that crazy miraculous catch by Kearse on that final drive. He was on his back bobbling the ball with no clear possession. The defender (not Butler) jumped over him. If he hit Kearse preventing him from catching the ball, is it a legal hit? Or would it be a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver? Kinda curious if there's a right way to defend that. If it was a couple years ago, I think someone like Goldston or Whitner would have nailed him.

I think it would depend how he hit him, but if he had just run through I think it would have been fine. That's what I was saying immediately after the play. Run through the ball!!!

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would depend how he hit him, but if he had just run through I think it would have been fine. That's what I was saying immediately after the play. Run through the ball!!!

Running the ball was a no brainer. This was as bad if not worse than Kaps fade to Sherman in the NFC champ game

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a question on that crazy miraculous catch by Kearse on that final drive. He was on his back bobbling the ball with no clear possession. The defender (not Butler) jumped over him. If he hit Kearse preventing him from catching the ball, is it a legal hit? Or would it be a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver? Kinda curious if there's a right way to defend that. If it was a couple years ago, I think someone like Goldston or Whitner would have nailed him.

IMO a penalty.

whether it was technically one or not, just the fact the WR was on the ground..........on his back.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO a penalty.

whether it was technically one or not, just the fact the WR was on the ground..........on his back.

Ball was tipped so contact could occur and it was still in play so would have been a clean hit imo. Split second play though because if the ball hit the ground then it could be a late hit.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Wilson do wrong? He threw to where he was supposed to throw and it was going right to the receiver's hands. The DB just made an all-world play so give him credit.

He played like crap this post season. Seattle went this far because of the D and Lynch. It was Wilson turn to help the D out after giving up the lead and he failed.

Im not saying he sucks but he gets way to much credit.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man when he caught the ball I was like here we go again and seattle with luck will win this game. What a catch.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played like crap this post season. Seattle went this far because of the D and Lynch. It was Wilson turn to help the D out after giving up the lead and he failed.

Im not saying he sucks but he gets way to much credit.

I thought he played pretty well in the Super Bowl

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just gave a great way to beat Seattle. They struggled with the short passes. It was a fun game to watch.

It was the same way Kansas City beat the Seahawks. But that makes people mad. We'd win if we did that, but noooo.... Go deep for the big play! (INT) To be clear, that just kept it close, the Pats could have lost and everyone would say how the short game cost them.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball was tipped so contact could occur and it was still in play so would have been a clean hit imo. Split second play though because if the ball hit the ground then it could be a late hit.

I think you're right given the ref sees the ball is tipped. But if it's a quick bang bang play, I'm guessing a flag will be thrown for unnecessary roughness and the play is not review-able. Being a defensive back is tough in this league.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both 49ers and Seattle should of ran the ball at those moments. Yes Kap and Wilson didn't get it done in the Super Bowl but play calling is the real reason on those last drives.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the same way Kansas City beat the Seahawks. But that makes people mad. We'd win if we did that, but noooo.... Go deep for the big play! (INT) To be clear, that just kept it close, the Pats could have lost and everyone would say how the short game cost them.

Our receiving group is much different then what the Pats have. Boldin, Crab, Johnson, and Lloyd aren't the quick shifty type that picked on Wagner. Our guys also don't run the whip routes that Edelman killed Tharold Simon with and we almost never throw to our RB's.

With Ellington and Patton taking on a bigger role that would help and hopefully the speed of Hyde can help on the RB passes.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really great dramatic finish to end the Superbowl. In my opinion, it was more of a great defensive play by Butler than the worse play call made in Superbowl history. You can't ask for a more heartbreaking loss for Seattle. Miraculous catch to get into scoring range, a very questionable play call on 2nd down, elite Russel Wilson makes a costly pass, and Butler outplays everybody. Wow! Just wow! I gotta say though, I feel kinda bad for Lockette. He gets thrown under the bus by his OC and every front page of every website and newspaper shows an image of him getting knocked on his ass by a rookie.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really great dramatic finish to end the Superbowl. In my opinion, it was more of a great defensive play by Butler than the worse play call made in Superbowl history. You can't ask for a more heartbreaking loss for Seattle. Miraculous catch to get into scoring range, a very questionable play call on 2nd down, elite Russel Wilson makes a costly pass, and Butler outplays everybody. Wow! Just wow! I gotta say though, I feel kinda bad for Lockette. He gets thrown under the bus by his OC and every front page of every website and newspaper shows an image of him getting knocked on his ass by a rookie.

After that catch U know Brady was like not this again(NY Giants Catch). It was a great Super Bowl.

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lockett has no chance in h*ll to make that catch. It's thrown to straight to Butler who because of that can hit Lockett from his blindside with out fear of a interference penalty. The OC just picked on Lockett because he knows that he would incure the wrath of the fans if he criticized Wilson for making a bad throw. He was just running his route but Butler read the play and beat him to the spot because it was thrown to far in front of him. Heck it was even thrown to Butlers right shoulder where he caught it.

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Wilson do wrong? He threw to where he was supposed to throw and it was going right to the receiver's hands. The DB just made an all-world play so give him credit.

In that type of situation you only make a safe pass. You throw the ball where only the receiver can catch it. For one it was a bit too in front of the receiver. He also should have recognized where Butler was in respect to that pass. The pass was thrown more to Butler rather than Lockett which is why he was able to hit Lockett from behind to his left side and knock him out of the play as he was going for the ball. A good play by Butler but that is something as a QB you have to consider under this type of circumstance, because as it turns out it was not a safe pass to throw. If he throw it to Locketts inside shoulder Locket has a shot to catch the ball. Wilson even threw it to Butlers outside shoulder. Under these circumstances Locket being basically blindsided, it does not even allow him to act as a pass defender to keep Butler from catching the pass. Butler did make a good play and their were other variables involved in the interception, but that is why the QB has to be extra careful in that sort of situation. What Wilson did wrong was throw the pass. He should have thrown it away.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things the people in Seattle were talking about is how the Patriots killed them over the middle, we need to do more of that. Also, and I will not say this is an excuse because everyone has injuries, but Sherman, Chancellor both had injuries, and so did Earl Thomas I think and Jeremy Lane was out after the interception.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things the people in Seattle were talking about is how the Patriots killed them over the middle, we need to do more of that. Also, and I will not say this is an excuse because everyone has injuries, but Sherman, Chancellor both had injuries, and so did Earl Thomas I think and Jeremy Lane was out after the interception.

I don't think Sherman's injury had any effect on the game at all. The Lane injury had the biggest impact. That is how it goes in the NFL. There is a certain amount of luck involved with injuries. Some teams can go through a whole season with few injuries. Look at the NFC West. The 49ers and Arizona were banged up more than them.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Hawks are likely to lose Maxwell this year, so Lane and Simon will have to step up. They've done a very good job of replacing CBs, but it seems like there has been some fall-off over the past couple years. Lane was killed by Kelvin Benjamin in the divisional round, and Simon was exploited in the SB. They're thinner at CB than they've been in a long time IMO.