• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Super Bowl XLIX: Seattle Seahawks vs. New England Patriots Game Day Thread

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The small quick receivers certainly worked against Seattle yesterday. Hopefully Niners can use Ellington and Patton on those underneath routes next year. But definitely need to draft a vertical deep threat WR to keep defenses honest.

it works for New England because of Brady, we can use those shorter plays but not as often. yes, we could still use a vertical deep threat, cause its more Kaep's strength.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It defends the reasoning, which is fine. The problem with the reasoning is it takes scoring for granted. You just can't do that. Not to mention the call was for a pass to the most clogged part of the field.

And as much as I agree with the article's logic re: Belichick not calling a TO, it turned out to be a brilliant move. Seattle rushed the next play and sealed a Pats' win.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The small quick receivers certainly worked against Seattle yesterday. Hopefully Niners can use Ellington and Patton on those underneath routes next year. But definitely need to draft a vertical deep threat WR to keep defenses honest.

This. San Diego, New England, and a handful of others were to be successful vs Seattle using this sort of gameplan. Even without the correct personell, a lateral game with a lot of misdirections, and some power running can neutralize the Seattle defense. Of course Bill Belecheck would devise the perfect gameplan.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
neither Seattle nor New England have 'big name' WR's. It is the QB's who make their WR's look better, not the other way around.

Sure. We had lots of receiver who could cut hard one way, stop on a dime, and cut the other way super quickly to get the game winning TD. Yup, Brady actually ran the route for the guy. :wtf2:

The Niners neither respect speed, know how to get it, or what to do with when they get it. Jenkins, LMJ, Ginn, etc etc. They need to correct it, but doubt it while "big wins" Trent reigns over all.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure. We had lots of receiver who could cut hard one way, stop on a dime, and cut the other way super quickly to get the game winning TD. Yup, Brady actually ran the route for the guy. :wtf2:

The Niners neither respect speed, know how to get it, or what to do with when they get it. Jenkins, LMJ, Ginn, etc etc. They need to correct it, but doubt it while "big wins" Trent reigns over all.

your response is exactly my point, too easy to focus on WR's. Yes, they got open but more importantly, Brady got it to them.......consistently. He doesn't need to focus on one receiver, he uses whomever is open.

you can have the best trio of WR's AND TE, but if your QB doesn't have skills, the ball won't get there..... consistently. you can have late round draft picks, undrafted WR's, or even a shoe salesman, but a 'Brady type QB' will get it to them.

Not saying we should never get a quality WR, but we should always be looking to improve at QB FIRST. Despite what Jed thinks of Kaep, Baalke should be already be thinking get the next QB. Even if we get a "statute", if he can read D's and pass well, try him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Ellington profiles as smaller, quicker slot-type receiver. He had very good quickness numbers at the combine (remarkably similar in terms of raw numbers to ODB, though he's shorter and thicker). Patton is kind of in the middle in terms of speed and quickness, but certainly not a big player at the position. Hopefully these guys can start to step up this year.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although Seattle lost this time around, it shows their style can win a SB and get back to the SB. they don't have a lot of star power at WR nor TE, but their run game makes everything work. Granted Wilson can do things Kaep can't, so not advocating the exact same offense. Seattle doesn't make many mistakes - turnovers and penalties - so they don't beat themselves. Yes, the GB game was TO filled, and today they made a huge one. but it is the exception, not the rule.

We have a similar style overall and don't see why we need to change much? Granted, Kaep can't throw those same routes as well, so we'd use routes more to his liking. But if we continue the run game, it also reduces turnovers.

Seattle were one of the most penalized teams in the league because Carroll doesn't run a tight ship.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would call Gronk an elite pass catcher and Edelman as well but maybe that is just me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I was one to question and call the playcall stupid, I must say that we can't act like they chose between an INT and a TD and chose the former. They chose, in their minds, scoring now or scoring later. They knew if they ran on second down, they'd have to burn their time out and it'd be do or die on third. A pass, they thought would have been a TD or incomplete. In fact, maybe Russell was supposed to scramble around to burn clock before firing it to a sure TD or out of bounds? Then run on third, TO, run or pass on 4th. No way coaches blame him publicly for not doing that - instead, they blame the WR.

There were 66 TDs to ZERO INTs from the 1 prior to that one.

You just run it in and trust your defense, right? See 2012 - Matt Ryan in 34 seconds got in FG range. See earlier this game, Wilson scored a TD in 29 seconds. All TOs left for Tom Brady.

Don't get me wrong, I would have gone to Lynch and risked Brady, but it wasn't surefire either way. Lynch could have been stopped twice more, didn't have time for a fourth.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would call Gronk an elite pass catcher and Edelman as well but maybe that is just me.

Yeah, their receivers as a whole aren't going to be mistaken for the Broncos, but they aren't so very bad. Gronk is probably the most dominant receiving TE in the league today. Vereen is right at the top of the list of receiving RBs. And Edelman and Amendola aren't elite all-around receivers, but they're very, very good at what they do, and what they do plays perfectly to Brady's strengths. Amendola, when healthy, has been a very good possession type receiver averaging 56 YPG in the two years prior to this one. And Edelman has become Wes Welker version 2.0. Lafell is only okay, but he's a solid outside complement to those guys do inside, and he can keep defenses honest.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad that Smith didn't do what Wilson did yesterday against the Saints on the Vernon Post. Wilson can afford one gaffe like that and I don't care about Wilson. If Smith did that, they'd just talk about how Smith can't win in the playoffs and the moment was to big for him, yada, yada, yada.

Plus, that moment was great for all Niners fans. (Wilson's or Smith's? Both.)

I know it's not the same from 6 yards out and a pass on fourth or a pass from 6 is different from 6 yards out, but it reminded me of this play: QB Smith to TE Walker, 6-yd, pass, TD, 4th down conversion - NFL Videos

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question on that crazy miraculous catch by Kearse on that final drive. He was on his back bobbling the ball with no clear possession. The defender (not Butler) jumped over him. If he hit Kearse preventing him from catching the ball, is it a legal hit? Or would it be a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver? Kinda curious if there's a right way to defend that. If it was a couple years ago, I think someone like Goldston or Whitner would have nailed him.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question on that crazy miraculous catch by Kearse on that final drive. He was on his back bobbling the ball with no clear possession. The defender (not Butler) jumped over him. If he hit Kearse preventing him from catching the ball, is it a legal hit? Or would it be a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver? Kinda curious if there's a right way to defend that. If it was a couple years ago, I think someone like Goldston or Whitner would have nailed him.

Well they didn't call the helmet to helmet shot on Edelman so why would they call this? I thought Edelman was knocked out and running instinct he looked wobbly and seem to almost collapse at the end of that run. Replay clearly showed the Seattle player lead with his helmet right into Edelmans head but no call. =\

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I was so happy when Wilson threw that Int. I been trying to tell people Wilson if very over rated. Congrats to the Pats a Brady. Pete screwed up big time on that last play. Run the ball 2 times if you needed it. U have beast mode.

I have T. Brady as #2 or #3 all time QB. What a great superbowl.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really thought seattle was going to get lucky again. I was going crazy. Overall it was a great superbowl and Pats overall was the better team.

Seattle get ready to pay 20+ million a year for Wilson. Seattle will be a different team next year. A lot of cuts coming up.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also a lot of credit goes to Josh McDaniels. Great game plan against Seattle D.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man I was so happy when Wilson threw that Int. I been trying to tell people Wilson if very over rated. Congrats to the Pats a Brady. Pete screwed up big time on that last play. Run the ball 2 times if you needed it. U have beast mode.

I have T. Brady as #2 or #3 all time QB. What a great superbowl.

What did Wilson do wrong? He threw to where he was supposed to throw and it was going right to the receiver's hands. The DB just made an all-world play so give him credit.