• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl Losers Since the Turn of the Century

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that the Vikings were going to win the Super Bowl with Cunningham and Moss in his rookie season. They looked unstoppable. I thought for sure that they would at least make the Super Bowl. Just goes to show that there are no sure things and that a teams that looks like a juggernaut can quickly drop out of the top.

Same here regards to the Vikings... That team was incredible...

No sure things for sure... For example, Dan Marino goes to the SB in his 2nd year... Who would'a thought he would never return again? He didn't and neither did I... His rookie season and then going the to the SB the year after, he was the bees knees at that time... Problem is, they couldn't get past Buffalo in the postseason... They could beat them in the regular season but not when it counted... The Phin's were like the Indiana Pacers... If the Jordan led Bulls weren't around, they may have made it to a C-Ship or two...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still young because he is still young. There is no magic to that phrase. Goff is 25. JG is 28.

Young is relative. Hell, early 30's is "young". But not for a football player. Shit, mid 20's is a ripe old age for a swimmer, gymnast or figure skater.

25 and entering your age 26 season is prime for a QB. He's not football young. He's played 4 full seasons. 54 starts.

The odds of some massive spike in success in year 5 and on as a starter are slim. Sure, you can improve a bit. But it's not like he's been void of team talent or coaching either. He is what he is at this point.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Fran will be good for years to come. Who knows if they make the Superbowl again, but they are playoff bound. That defense is young and great.

So was Chicagos last year. I dont think JG will be exposed like Trubisky, but a lot of luck goes into a winning season.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So was Chicagos last year. I dont think JG will be exposed like Trubisky, but a lot of luck goes into a winning season.
I guess I agree. JG is much better than Trubisky though. The Bears let their RB go. I think San Fran will be good for several years.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really makes you realize the greatness of that Bills team. It's really just basic probability and statistics. What's the rate of the Super Bowl loser making the playoffs the next season? That would be interesting to know. The Niners chances of making it to the Super Bowl is almost assuredly less than 30%, and it may be much lower than that. They can be as good next year as they were this year, but I'd count them very lucky if they were to make it to the Super Bowl next year.
Shit, how many SB winners make it back the next season??

Again, aside from the Patriots, seems like nobody does

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here regards to the Vikings... That team was incredible...

No sure things for sure... For example, Dan Marino goes to the SB in his 2nd year... Who would'a thought he would never return again? He didn't and neither did I... His rookie season and then going the to the SB the year after, he was the bees knees at that time... Problem is, they couldn't get past Buffalo in the postseason... They could beat them in the regular season but not when it counted... The Phin's were like the Indiana Pacers... If the Jordan led Bulls weren't around, they may have made it to a C-Ship or two...

That Vikings team was amazing, but just 3 years ago they had a literal nobody at QB and were absolutely stacked at every other position. And then they brought in a top 10 type QB.... and missed the playoffs completely.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, how many SB winners make it back the next season??

Again, aside from the Patriots, seems like nobody does

LOL. Good point. Ever since the end of the '90s, it's no one except for the Patriots. As far as long term success* since the end of the '90s, the only teams I can think of besides the Patriots are the Steelers, Colts, Packers, and Seahawks. Anyone else?

*I'll define long term success here as a period of 10 years or close to it where a team makes the playoffs at a very high rate, like 70% or more of the time.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty

Dude I wasn't kidding, you said it'd be easy to list 10 better QBs than Jimmy G. Ok, let's see your list.

If you put Tom Brady's corpse on there you may no longer post about football.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's coming: let's see em
ARodg
Lil Rusty Wilson
Brees
Mahomie
Watson
Matt Ryan
Wentz
Dak
Staff
Cousins

Not including Brady or Old Man Rivers, they have nowhere to go but down, if they aren't done already.

Not including Jackson, because I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting a guy that could get smashed at any given moment. This could also go for Watson I suppose.

Goff, Carr and Tanny I wouldn't consider inferior by any means. That's 16 I wouldn't take JimmyG over.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. Seattle has a big talent deficit to make up though. Won't be a slam-dunk by any means.

I wouldn't say big gap since they missed out being division champs by half an inch with a injury riddled roster.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say big gap since they missed out being division champs by half an inch with a injury riddled roster.
They got within said inch on the back of a lot of one score games going Seattle's way, something which is not a repeatable skill. That more than offsets the injury riddled roster point, imo.

When the competition has a roster like SF's, it's going to take more than greatness from Wilson to win the division unless Jimmy G gets hurt again. Certainly possible to close that gap. It's just not going to be straightforward or easy to do by week 1 of 2020.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmm.. yes...........

Kyle Shanahan is THE biggest Super Bowl choke artist of all time, as well. History my friends, history...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got within said inch on the back of a lot of one score games going Seattle's way, something which is not a repeatable skill. That more than offsets the injury riddled roster point, imo.

When the competition has a roster like SF's, it's going to take more than greatness from Wilson to win the division unless Jimmy G gets hurt again. Certainly possible to close that gap. It's just not going to be straightforward or easy to do by week 1 of 2020.

Seattle usually wins the one score games even back during their SB run, so it's not really uncommon thing. Everyone says it'll never be easy for Seattle but somehow year after year their right there at the end with the division on the line.

KC went 5-0 down 10+ this season for comeback wins. Is that possible to repeat? I'd say yes when you have a top flight QB. The point is doesn't matter how stacked an oppossing team is but when you have a top flight QB, they'll find ways to win games. Now I will say Seattle does need to resign Clowney and add another piece in FA and draft well.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle usually wins the one score games even back during their SB run, so it's not really uncommon thing

Well yes, a great deal of luck goes into winning a SB even if you're the best and most talented team.

so it's not really uncommon thing.

It is across the league, and even the elite teams aren't immune on a season to season basis. Was Jason Garrett a good coach when he was winning the one score games in 2018? Or was he a bad one when he was losing them in 2019? See, I reject the premise altogether that it's especially useful, imo.

Everyone says it'll never be easy for Seattle but somehow year after year their right there at the end with the division on the line.

Seattle is going to be pretty good, maybe SB good if things go right. Their task is just tall and firm within the division. Very confident they will be a playoff team. Much less sure it will be as the NFCW champs.

C went 5-0 down 10+ this season for comeback wins. Is that possible to repeat?

No, not at all. Any limited repeatability from having an absurd offense to keep the deficit from being much larger than 10 to begin with and erase said deficit is greatly outweighed by reality. Mahomes isn't going to have an elite passblocking unit, three quality receivers plus depth, and Travis Kelce forever. It's not always going to be easy. It's magical, it has great storytelling value, but to bet on it would be pure foolishness. Maybe they lose somewhat less in that scenario than the Bengals would. That's about as far as I would be willing to go there. It's kind of like the Brady stats where he is above .500 when his team gives up 24+ when the Pats generally have had pretty decent help around him, even if not galaxy busting; and also the defenses to not hardly ever allow the near unwinnnable games where you give up 35+ points.

I'd say yes when you have a top flight QB. The point is doesn't matter how stacked an oppossing team is but when you have a top flight QB, they'll find ways to win games. Now I will say Seattle does need to resign Clowney and add another piece in FA and draft well.

Oh, it won't be an issue of winning games. It's going to be if they can win 12-13 games next year and win the division doing it.

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ARodg
Lil Rusty Wilson
Brees
Mahomie
Watson
Matt Ryan
Wentz
Dak
Staff
Cousins

Not including Brady or Old Man Rivers, they have nowhere to go but down, if they aren't done already.

Not including Jackson, because I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting a guy that could get smashed at any given moment. This could also go for Watson I suppose.

Goff, Carr and Tanny I wouldn't consider inferior by any means. That's 16 I wouldn't take JimmyG over.
Tannehill, Cousins laughably wrong
ARodg
Lil Rusty Wilson
Brees
Mahomie
Watson
Matt Ryan
Wentz
Dak
Staff
Cousins

Tannehill and Cousins are laughably wrong

There's a group that includes Garropolo, Carr, Stafford, Goff, and maybe Wentz that are pretty interchangeable.

If JG is top 10 he's close to 10. He's not great. He's solid.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill, Cousins laughably wrong

Tannehill and Cousins are laughably wrong

There's a group that includes Garropolo, Carr, Stafford, Goff, and maybe Wentz that are pretty interchangeable.

If JG is top 10 he's close to 10. He's not great. He's solid.
Oh, I think most of them are interchangeable.

I've disliked Cousins since he was in HS, but wouldn't hesitate to have him play QB over JimmyG.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yes, a great deal of luck goes into winning a SB even if you're the best and most talented team.

It is across the league, and even the elite teams aren't immune on a season to season basis. Was Jason Garrett a good coach when he was winning the one score games in 2018? Or was he a bad one when he was losing them in 2019? See, I reject the premise altogether that it's especially useful, imo.

Seattle is going to be pretty good, maybe SB good if things go right. Their task is just tall and firm within the division. Very confident they will be a playoff team. Much less sure it will be as the NFCW champs.

No, not at all. Any limited repeatability from having an absurd offense to keep the deficit from being much larger than 10 to begin with and erase said deficit is greatly outweighed by reality. Mahomes isn't going to have an elite passblocking unit, three quality receivers plus depth, and Travis Kelce forever. It's not always going to be easy. It's magical, it has great storytelling value, but to bet on it would be pure foolishness. Maybe they lose somewhat less in that scenario than the Bengals would. That's about as far as I would be willing to go there. It's kind of like the Brady stats where he is above .500 when his team gives up 24+ when the Pats generally have had pretty decent help around him, even if not galaxy busting; and also the defenses to not hardly ever allow the near unwinnnable games where you give up 35+ points.

Oh, it won't be an issue of winning games. It's going to be if they can win 12-13 games next year and win the division doing it.

I guess watching the Hawks I see things differently from others.