• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl Losers Since the Turn of the Century

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's safely mediocre.

Like 70% of the starters in the league.

That said, he hits Sanders instead of overthrowing him, he's prolly SB MVP.

Super Bowl MVP just needs to be renamed to: "Super Bowl QB MVP" and then do a "Super Bowl non-QB MVP". The fact Mahomes won yesterday was absolutely disgusting... and the 'likely fact' Garpoarlololol would've won if he'd hit that pass would also be disgusting.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's safely mediocre.

Like 70% of the starters in the league.

That said, he hits Sanders instead of overthrowing him, he's prolly SB MVP.

Yeah, QB's get too much credit and too much blame. If he hits Sanders there, it doesn't suddenly mean he's an elite QB, but many would be saying that right now if that play would've worked and if the Niners would've held on for the win.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff. The thought had occurred before, but didn't want to look too far into it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't at all feel this is a Goff-like situation where Goff is just a fraud being excessively protected
This is where I see the disconnect. If I was ranking QBs, JG would be just ahead of Tannehill and only a couple of spots ahead of Goff. I think they're all system guys.

JG has a great release and great footwork. JG tries to make plays when they aren't there sometimes and throws some bad INTs.

Goff is also still young. He could totally pass up JG in a few years.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl MVP just needs to be renamed to: "Super Bowl QB MVP" and then do a "Super Bowl non-QB MVP". The fact Mahomes won yesterday was absolutely disgusting... and the 'likely fact' Garpoarlololol would've won if he'd hit that pass would also be disgusting.

You're usually wrong, Shark (usually on purpose, I think), but you're going off script here and you're right on the money on this point.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went ahead and got high right after the game. Was kinda shocked they somehow shoehorned Mahomes into the spot. Shouldn't have been shocked, but it was a joke. Two picks and fumble with just over 50% until the fourth is Big Ben level MVP.

But it'll make the league money in the long run.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may be something to this or it could just be regular ebbs and flows of organizations

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're usually wrong, Shark (usually on purpose, I think), but you're going off script here and you're right on the money on this point.

Well every once in a while I have a moment of clarity... and those posts are indicative of that...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went ahead and got high right after the game. Was kinda shocked they somehow shoehorned Mahomes into the spot. Shouldn't have been shocked, but it was a joke. Two picks and fumble with just over 50% until the fourth is Big Ben level MVP.

But it'll make the league money in the long run.

TeemingMildHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills and especially the Vikings are two franchises you really are just left baffled they haven't stumbled into a SB victory. The Vikings in particular have had a lot of damn good teams that just flopped unceremoniously in big moments.
The Bills were just great at the wrong time in history.

They absolutely should have beaten the Giants. But the Cowboys? That was a buzzsaw that would've taken almost all of the great teams down except for maybe one or two of the great Niners team and the 85 Bears. Its hard to really explain how good those Cowboys teams were in modern terms. It was like Dick Vermeil's Chiefs if he had the best defense in the league, too.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Jones and Damien Williams definitely deserved it before Mahomes. Kendall Fuller I know had a 93.2 or something grade on PFF, but good coverage doesn't get SB MVP votes without a dramatic moment, usually. Mahomes was as much a reason the Chiefs were down as anything. Fisher got beat so badly by Bosa, in a way I haven't seen in a long time, that it got into Mahomes' head a bit, imo. Really only seen Khalil Mack consistently own him in that way since his early career.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I see the disconnect. If I was ranking QBs, JG would be just ahead of Tannehill and only a couple of spots ahead of Goff. I think they're all system guys.

JG has a great release and great footwork. JG tries to make plays when they aren't there sometimes and throws some bad INTs.

Goff is also still young. He could totally pass up JG in a few years.

Yeah, I'm not low on Goff either. He's still super young like you said and he performed very well in the previous two seasons. Maybe this season is an anomaly. He showed a lot of flashes this year where he throws a very accurate ball, including deep balls. He's just like a lot of QBs in that he needs a good team around him, especially good offensive line play, to be successful. Pressure is pretty much a universal antidote against a QB. There's guys like Wilson, Mahomes, and Brees who can overcome it with mobility and lighting quick release and decisionmaking, but the chances of replacing Goff with a QB like that are low.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills were just great at the wrong time in history.

They absolutely should have beaten the Giants. But the Cowboys? That was a buzzsaw that would've taken almost all of the great teams down except for maybe one or two of the great Niners team and the 85 Bears. Its hard to really explain how good those Cowboys teams were in modern terms. It was like Dick Vermeil's Chiefs if he had the best defense in the league, too.

It would've taken one of those stacked Niners teams from the '80s. Hell, the Niners had to super stack their 1994-1995 team and take one of the Cowboys best LB's in order to beat them that season. How often are you going to be able to improve your team by plucking one of the better players from your rival and then adding the greatest cover corner in history for a low salary? That whole season felt like the Niners were sure Super Bowl champions as long as they beat the Cowboys.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Niners roster is just stacked man and they just had a great draft to reload offensively with guys like Deebo.

I think they're still the NFC favorite going into next year. The thing that really works against them going forward is that the Seahawks won't go away, the Cardinals are getting better, and the Rams are lurking in the grass too. The NFC West is set up to be a very tough division.

There's a lot of Jimmy G slander going around right now, but truth is he has hardly played in his career and has had more good than bad moments.

I agree, but I've said this about SB losing teams before only to see them win 7 to 10 games the following year. It usually takes a lot of breaks with health and typically you need that to be sustained enough over the course of the season for you to get a bye.

On paper, yes. They'll be tough to beat.

And yeah... Jimmy G had a great season statistically. He led the league in Y/A, near the top in TD's, QB rating, etc. He won them a handful of games when the D was banged up. People have short memories and love to jump on hate wagons.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not low on Goff either. He's still super young like you said and he performed very well in the previous two seasons. Maybe this season is an anomaly. He showed a lot of flashes this year where he throws a very accurate ball, including deep balls. He's just like a lot of QBs in that he needs a good team around him, especially good offensive line play, to be successful. Pressure is pretty much a universal antidote against a QB. There's guys like Wilson, Mahomes, and Brees who can overcome it with mobility and lighting quick release and decisionmaking, but the chances of replacing Goff with a QB like that are low.

Goff was bad this past year and pretty has been since mid-late 2018.

He has 4 years and 54 starts under his belt. I don't get when people still act like guys at that point are still "young". You basically are what you are by that point.

There's a difference between pressure being an "antidote" and having it literally cripple you every time. Goff curls up and shits his pants while under duress. He's Mitchell Trubisky bad under pressure.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has 4 years and 54 starts under his belt. I don't get when people still act like guys at that point are still "young". You basically are what you are by that point.

There's a difference between pressure being an "antidote" and having it literally cripple you every time. Goff curls up and shits his pants while under duress. He's Mitchell Trubisky bad under pressure.

I am like that, too, when I'm playing Madden, so maybe I'm sympathizing too much. LOL.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Fran will be good for years to come. Who knows if they make the Superbowl again, but they are playoff bound. That defense is young and great.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Niners roster is just stacked man and they just had a great draft to reload offensively with guys like Deebo.

I think they're still the NFC favorite going into next year. The thing that really works against them going forward is that the Seahawks won't go away, the Cardinals are getting better, and the Rams are lurking in the grass too. The NFC West is set up to be a very tough division.

There's a lot of Jimmy G slander going around right now, but truth is he has hardly played in his career and has had more good than bad moments.

As stacked as they are, that a lot of those guys are going to be coming off of their rookie deals soon.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is still young because he is still young. There is no magic to that phrase. Goff is 25. JG is 28.