• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SUBBAN SIGNS 8 YEAR 72M CONTRACT WITH THE HABS

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care to debate Rags/Habs either but dont you worry the 9 mil price tag adds more pressure and gives you less spending room? I think we can all agree you would like an upgrade of Markov as his D pairing in the ideal situation. No?

But if you don't have him (and his price tag) then you have more cap room, but you also have to replace him somehow. And superstar level players are (not surprisingly) incredibly difficult to replace.

If the Habs put Subban on the trade market tomorrow with his brand new contract teams would not only be willing to take him/it, but they'd be willing to give up significant value in exchange for the privilege of taking him/it. These are the kinds of players you hang on to when you get them.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tokarski was OK. He was a rebound machine and he didn't play some angles well. The team, average tired defense and all, made him look better than he was.

They did not lose the series because of Tokarski. Or because Price went out.

Not to my eye anyway.

But the disappearance of Max P and others who had shone so brightly down the stretch had a lot to do with it once PK slowed down.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised some people are okay with this contract. For the Canadiens it should have been very easy. Look at the contracts of players like Doughty, Keith, Suter & offer a bit less. Instead they overpaid Subban beyond words. I'm sure there are a number of teams ticked off by this contract. Those GM's who aren't will be once they have to sign one or more of their best players.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised some people are okay with this contract. For the Canadiens it should have been very easy. Look at the contracts of players like Doughty, Keith, Suter & offer a bit less. Instead they overpaid Subban beyond words. I'm sure there are a number of teams ticked off by this contract. Those GM's who aren't will be once they have to sign one or more of their best players.

I'm not surprised that not everybody thinks the higher cap and new CBA are as irrelevant as you do.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You lose credibility because you (1) say every contract every off season is too high, (2) refuse to acknowledge that free agency is not a perfect market but relative to what is available, and (3) refuse to take into account that the changing salary cap size impacts the total dollar amount from season-to-season.

Contracts are generally NOT perfectly in lockstep with value, but that doesn't mean they aren't good contracts.

They didn't overpay him beyond words. They gave him slightly more than what he deserved, but given the other options, how was this a bad idea for a guy who is both the most talented guy on the team and the heart of the team as well? At the end of the day, they are a playoff team with Subban and not one without him. If they overpaid him by a million, they make that up hosting one playoff game.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised that not everybody thinks the higher cap and new CBA are as irrelevant as you do.

right, but doesnt that bring us right back to where we started before the lockout/strike? If the cap goes up does that automatically mean you start allowing salaries to run away? If GM's continue down this road we will be in a work stoppage pretty quickly again. One cant confuse fair market value with cap space/availability. The cap is not going to go up as fast as people think, if it does then the league will be in trouble again pretty quickly.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lose credibility because you (1) say every contract every off season is too high, (2) refuse to acknowledge that free agency is not a perfect market but relative to what is available, and (3) refuse to take into account that the changing salary cap size impacts the total dollar amount from season-to-season.

Contracts are generally NOT perfectly in lockstep with value, but that doesn't mean they aren't good contracts.

They didn't overpay him beyond words. They gave him slightly more than what he deserved, but given the other options, how was this a bad idea for a guy who is both the most talented guy on the team and the heart of the team as well? At the end of the day, they are a playoff team with Subban and not one without him. If they overpaid him by a million, they make that up hosting one playoff game.

So you're validating this by comparing him relative to the Montreal players? Good Luck with that.
I'll bet you lunch this turns out worse than Sather's Richards contract.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're validating this by comparing him relative to the Montreal players? Good Luck with that.
I'll bet you lunch this turns out worse than Sather's Richards contract.

PK will work out just fine.

I'm smelling another Norris in his future. Maybe 2?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, but doesnt that bring us right back to where we started before the lockout/strike? If the cap goes up does that automatically mean you start allowing salaries to run away? If GM's continue down this road we will be in a work stoppage pretty quickly again. One cant confuse fair market value with cap space/availability. The cap is not going to go up as fast as people think, if it does then the league will be in trouble again pretty quickly.

I don't know. The cap goes up and salaries go up. It just happens. I am not confusing cap space and fair market value I am just noting that they are related. Bottom line is you are unsure of his ability and therefore you think he was over paid and not worth the contract. I cannot and will not try to change your opinion of him.

I am not sure PK didn't get fair market value. I haven't read any national articles written by columnists, not fan bloggers, that think the contract was a gross overpayment. I have even read some that thought it was a good contract for the Canadiens.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. The cap goes up and salaries go up. It just happens. I am not confusing cap space and fair market value I am just noting that they are related. Bottom line is you are unsure of his ability and therefore you think he was over paid and not worth the contract. I cannot and will not try to change your opinion of him.

I am not sure PK didn't get fair market value. I haven't read any national articles written by columnists, not fan bloggers, that think the contract was a gross overpayment. I have even read some that thought it was a good contract for the Canadiens.

I dont dislike P.K. at all. He is a good player; aside from the shenanigans that get him in trouble sometimes. Montreal took a nice big step; I just dont want to see the race to the top with salaries again (but I shouldnt worry with Sather as my GM :wtf2:) and see them pull in some key pieces in order to continue to get better and better. You gotta build around him.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont dislike P.K. at all. He is a good player; aside from the shenanigans that get him in trouble sometimes. Montreal took a nice big step; I just dont want to see the race to the top with salaries again (but I shouldnt worry with Sather as my GM :wtf2:) and see them pull in some key pieces in order to continue to get better and better. You gotta build around him.

Salaries go up. Fact of life. The next big one will be even higher.

Remember the first baseball player to earn $1 million? I recall when Bobby Hull bolted from Chicago to Winnipeg for $1 million.

The all seem like chump change right now.

And by the way, Kill The Cap!!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries go up. Fact of life. The next big one will be even higher.

Remember the first baseball player to earn $1 million? I recall when Bobby Hull bolted from Chicago to Winnipeg for $1 million.

The all seem like chump change right now.

And by the way, Kill The Cap!!!

Aye, out with the cap!

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so we can have a system like MLB has...

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap props up dogs.

Survival of the fittest.

Lose 5 or 6 dog teams and watch the game improve.

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap props up dogs.

Survival of the fittest.

Lose 5 or 6 dog teams and watch the game improve.

In the 70's Hockey had almost as many teams as they do now and that's without Europeans and I don't hear anyone complaining about that era.................. They will expand by 2 teams in the near future .........

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is that sarcasm? Im not really sure as Im not sure how MLB is doing in that aspect
MLB got lucky in that networks found they need live scheduling due to the streaming (or whatever) of shows and who better to give it to them than a game that plays just about every day all summer long (and spring and fall) so those in the largest markets have huge payrolls and the Milwaukee's Kansas City's and Minnesota's don't. It is an uneven playing field and anybody who wants that system is crazy. It'll be like society the upper class and the working stiff and seeing as we are all pretty well working stiffs we know how far apart we are socially

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 70's Hockey had almost as many teams as they do now and that's without Europeans and I don't hear anyone complaining about that era.................. They will expand by 2 teams in the near future .........

I would guess that the weighted average for the decade was somewhere between 17 and 18 teams. I don't really disagree with you that there's enough talent out there now for 2 more teams (if not the market for them ) but I wouldn't call 17 "almost as many" as 30 to make that point.