• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SUBBAN SIGNS 8 YEAR 72M CONTRACT WITH THE HABS

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the issue. Subban was a RFA. Which obviously is very different from being an UFA. The Canadiens had plenty of leverage due to this fact. They didn't have to make him the 3rd highest paid player in the entire league. It's not like when Philadelphia gave Weber an offersheet & Nashville chose to match it. I realize he's their best defenseman & a very important part of their team, but they didn't have to give him the contract they did.

If they had not locked him up long-term now (and gone through an annoying and often "insulting" arbitration process in doing so) it would have only gotten increasingly more difficult to do so.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$100 million is too high IPW. Get your head in the game.

vzjGbMG.gif

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be an RFA after this season as well. Which means Montreal still has plenty of leverage. What is Subban going to do, demand to be traded? I have no problem with Subban getting a contract that would have put him in the lower part of the top 5 defenseman in the league. There's no way he deserves to be the 3rd highest paid player in the ENTIRE NHL.

He'd play out his last year and leave for nothing in return. Or make the Canadiens have to take dogshit trade offers for a guy that's a "rental" at the deadline in 2016.

Letting a superstar get into the last year of his contract is almost always a stupid idea.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Selig made $22 million last year as MLB Commissioner...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Goodell made $44.2M for 2012.

That's the latest year available based on the NFL's reporting schedule.

Well its not like the games are largely unaffordable for the average household or anything so I cannot fault that salary. A family of four just has to decide if they want to pay their mortgage or go to a game.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well its not like the games are largely unaffordable for the average household or anything so I cannot fault that salary. A family of four just has to decide if they want to pay their mortgage or go to a game.

Same goes for a Habs game.

:gaah:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over 54 million in career earnings and Kovalev has the balls to reference players from the 70s - Hey Kovy, did you know that guys like Espo worked during the summer time in order to make ends meet? Shut your pie hole.

Alexei Kovalev NHL Salary Contract History

And say what you want about Subban but he cares and he tries hard. He has his flaws but he works hard. The same could not always be said about Kovy.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the references to doing it again next year and being bad-mouthed twice in arbitration would have pretty well communicated that I knew he'd still be an RFA after this year. But whatever.

And they have to pay a premium to get over PK being pissed off. He's already been low-balled twice and would have been low-balled again next year as an RFA. Then when he became a UFA, he'd get a $10M+/year offer from another team (amount depending on what the cap does between now and then) and the Habs would have absolutely nothing.

They deserved to overpay for their mistake in the last contract negotiation.

Worse case scenario is Montreal would have traded Subban & gotten a kings ransom for him. They chose to give him a long term deal that's quite pricey. We'll see in a few years, maybe sooner whether or not it was a mistake.