• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Over Plan

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed that. ESPN says they never talked to Chip.

A source told McMurphy that USC never talked with Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly, but school officials did have discussions with a representative of FSUcoach Jimbo Fisher and former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano -- along with other current NFL coaches and assistants.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed that. ESPN says they never talked to Chip.

A source told McMurphy that USC never talked with Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly, but school officials did have discussions with a representative of FSUcoach Jimbo Fisher and former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano -- along with other current NFL coaches and assistants.

I think nobody said so outright. USC (or people citing USC as a source) did previously say that USC touched base or reached out to Chip Kelly. How much of that is true is of course doubtful. Also, for all we know they phoned his agent, who told them to entertain themselves.

As far as FSU goes, the AD came out and stated after the game this weekend that as far as they are concerned Les Miles stays at FSU (so no opening there)... of course now the Georgia rumours can begin...

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting that you probably could get Kapernick, Manziel and RGIII on the Free Agent market this offseason. All these guys made their mark as read option college QBs. Perhaps Kelly would sign a couple of these guys and have them compete for the starting spot. Then go ahead and run the read option and if the QB gets hurt, just go with the next guy. There seems to be a good supply of these types out there right now available for cheap.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting that you probably could get Kapernick, Manziel and RGIII on the Free Agent market this offseason. All these guys made their mark as read option college QBs. Perhaps Kelly would sign a couple of these guys and have them compete for the starting spot. Then go ahead and run the read option and if the QB gets hurt, just go with the next guy. There seems to be a good supply of these types out there right now available for cheap.

And all of them are markedly worse QB's than Bradford, and as much if not more of a liability than him as far as injuries and off the field issues go. You are better off with drafting, and trying to fix the O-line and WR situation in free agency.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all of them are markedly worse QB's than Bradford, and as much if not more of a liability than him as far as injuries and off the field issues go. You are better off with drafting, and trying to fix the O-line and WR situation in free agency.

I am not at the point of writing Bradford off yet either. Interesting though that at one time not too long ago, RGIII was an offensive rookie of the year and probowler. Meanwhile, Kapernick is 4-2 in the playoffs under Harbaugh. Manziel is having a very respectable year on the field when he plays, just needs to tone down the partying. Obviously, there all available for a reason, but they have also shown they can be successful in the right situation.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is that we do not even know what exactly happened there.

- Mind you, that year many believed Nick Foles to be the QB of the future. Our QB need was fixed(!). Many people would have villified the Eagles if they had gone for Bridgewater or Carr. Especially seeing as there was a need for WR with Desean being thrown out, and Avant being cut. Our defense was not that good either (OLB).

- We do not even know who pulled the strings that draft, Kelly or Roseman, stories vary (including who picked Marcus Smith II), and decided not to pick Carr or Bridgewater.

If Roseman is hearing from the coach "we're good at QB" then he isn't going to force a QB on him. That's on Chip for not liking a QB as much as he should have or liking his own QB more than he should have. Either way it speaks to him not being able to identify NFL level talent.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OMG

:wtf:

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Roseman is hearing from the coach "we're good at QB" then he isn't going to force a QB on him. That's on Chip for not liking a QB as much as he should have or liking his own QB more than he should have. Either way it speaks to him not being able to identify NFL level talent.

But what is your assumption that Kelly thought Foles was good at QB? Or did he see other positions as more important to get fixed (say, for instance, WR)?

The blanket underlying assumption from your side is that Roseman was the one running the draft - something that has been far from certain; it could just as easily have been Roseman who pushed Kelly away from Bridgewater and Carr. And that assumes that they did not even consider them, but they did not have them rated as high as others, or they were taken just before the Eagles picked, something that seems to have happened this year with O-linemen.

O yeah, considering the fairly persistent narrative that Kelly hoped Bradford + the house would get him Mariota (and rumour apparently has it that if not for Titan's ownership he would have), something that suggests Kelly is well aware of the issues at QB, and probably was in 2013 as well.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My assumption is that Roseman has/had more respect for Chip's football mind than Chip had for Roseman's. I don't see that as a leap. Also Roseman was the GM and had acted in that role and roles like it previously conducting offseason's while Chip had not. They both had a lot of say in the draft. It doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't have worked together. And if they were working together it would be the coach that tells the GM how the current players fit with what he's trying to do. Especially an abnormal coach that the GM went out and hired.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thinks you can run the read option as a base offence in the nfl needs to have their head examined. having the qb run around the corner for six yards isn't going to win you many games.

There's a reason no one runs it as base, it'll kill your qb!!! Why do you think all of those guys have stopped running.

The notion that kelly needs 'his' qb in order to succeed is a load a bull. If you can't throw you aren't going to win. And if you can't run, you can't win (unless you've got brady or rodgers).

Kapernick, Manziel or whomever are not nfl starting qbs. Anyone who thinks we should give them a try is really saying lets get a higher draft pick.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think nobody said so outright. USC (or people citing USC as a source) did previously say that USC touched base or reached out to Chip Kelly. How much of that is true is of course doubtful. Also, for all we know they phoned his agent, who told them to entertain themselves.

As far as FSU goes, the AD came out and stated after the game this weekend that as far as they are concerned Les Miles stays at FSU (so no opening there)... of course now the Georgia rumours can begin...

No, but Matt Ruhle may be a good candidate at Georgia.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You think that Lurie is going to spend BI $$ to 2 or more QB candidates? Yeah, right.

If Chip moves n from Bradford (which I doubt), he might try to sign one of them, and I think RGIII may be the guy. We have to get 2 or 3 OL; OLB; CB; S before we do anything else.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think that Lurie is going to spend BI $$ to 2 or more QB candidates? Yeah, right.

If Chip moves n from Bradford (which I doubt), he might try to sign one of them, and I think RGIII may be the guy. We have to get 2 or 3 OL; OLB; CB; S before we do anything else.

Oh Yeah, also need a speed Receiver. A game breaker!

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All these guys are low money guys at this point. I doubt anyone is going to offer them a guaranteed starting gig.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am tired of Kelly collecting trash at the QB position.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. Get the Best QB rated in the 1st round if he's got a high rating, or else get the best OL.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip didn't even entertain discussions with USC via his agent, so that leads me to believe that A) he doesn't want to leave, and B) he's gotten assurances internally that Lurie is still fully supportive of him.

As stated, USC is now filled, LSU is keeping Miles after striking out on Fisher, FSU is retaining Fisher and UGA has never been interested in Kelly.

If Kelly is leaving this year, it's to Texas, and there's a less than 1% chance Charlie Strong is fired.

I do think that Kelly leaving to college will probably happen after next year. Texas and Texas A&M are 2 high profile jobs that have about a 50/50 shot of being open next year and surely there will be more. I wouldn't rule out a return to Oregon either if Helfrich falters again next year.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick up RG3? lmao.....do it, please do it. You guys could have picked up Cousins at the end of last year for a 6th/7th round pick