• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant TLJ and Solo. Those are the last two SW movies they've released and I didn't like either of them. I liked some parts of TLJ, but frankly the initial battle was just too ridiculous and took me out of the mood, and I spent the rest of the movie being sarcastic and overly critical. I've tried to watch it again, but again having space battles with gravity-based low speed bombers, low speed chases just destroy the movie for me.

I did watch a cut that focused solely on Luke, Rei and Kylo, and that was better, but still had a few terrible moments (the lightsaber fight vs the Imperial guard was pretty cool).

Solo was ok.. Rogue One was great.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solo was ok.. Rogue One was great.

I'm not particularly sensitive to political messages in movies, but Solo took it a bit too far and I didn't like that. The raiding of the train was pretty cool, but after that it was a forgettable movie that didn't add anything worthwhile to the universe, while putting us through some cringe-worthy political messages. Frankly, I was glad that it flopped.

I agree, Rogue One was amazing. My favorite SW movie since the first two (I like it better than Jedi).

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not particularly sensitive to political messages in movies, but Solo took it a bit too far and I didn't like that. The raiding of the train was pretty cool, but after that it was a forgettable movie that didn't add anything worthwhile to the universe, while putting us through some cringe-worthy political messages. Frankly, I was glad that it flopped.

I agree, Rogue One was amazing. My favorite SW movie since the first two (I like it better than Jedi).

Yep. I loved some of the supporting cast in Rogue One. The droid was just plain great, the Jedi and his "Samoan" buddy, the heroine and her dad, her boyfriend etc. There was a lot to like in that movie.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I loved some of the supporting cast in Rogue One. The droid was just plain great, the Jedi and his "Samoan" buddy, the heroine and her dad, her boyfriend etc. There was a lot to like in that movie.

Yes... Even if it was somewhat political in casting, it didn't affect the story. Even if it has a few flaws, it was a great movie.

And Tudyk's portrayal basically created the best droid in the whole universe.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not for Last Jedi, Rouge One would be the worst Star Wars movie. The movie is essentially what would happen if Michael Bay directed a Star Wars movie. Terrible.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not for Last Jedi, Rouge One would be the worst Star Wars movie. The movie is essentially what would happen if Michael Bay directed a Star Wars movie. Terrible.
It took all of my power not to fall asleep during Rogue One. I was bored throughout and just couldn't get into it at all.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took all of my power not to fall asleep during Rogue One. I was bored throughout and just couldn't get into it at all.
I did fall asleep. Took me 3 times to see it through.

That being said, I did like it. Just slow.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its always interesting to hear people trash a movie many others like. :)
I know many people liked it and to that I say "to each their own." I would rate it in the bottom half of all the Star Wars movies (definitely not the worst though). And I was the opposite on Solo. I liked it a lot better than I thought I would and a lot of the people that saw it did.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Rogue One. The Force Awakens was ok. The Last Jedi was an abortion. Still haven't watched Solo. Doubt I see Rise of Skywalker in the theater. I really wish they would've just done the Thrawn trilogy.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Rogue One and to a lesser extent Solo. I'm pretty optimistic about the Mandalorean and Kenobi.

Where Disney seems to be disappointing in my opinion (not in terms of box office results but in story telling) is the main saga. The Force Awakens seemed like an okay set up movie for the sequel trilogy (despite its obvious similarities to Ep. 4) until we got to TLJ and none of the set ups really went anywhere and the villains were made to look like incompetent buffoons. If it wasnt the (supposed) 2nd last movie in the saga and for all the lame humor attempts, I'd probably be more forgiving of TLJ.

All that being said, I'm cautiously optimistic that Rise of Skywalker will be the best movie of this trilogy. I think it could have some great moments but they won't be earned as much as they would have been had this trilogy been mapped out from the beginning instead of having different writers make stuff up as they go along. I'm interested to see how they use Princess Leia footage that was cut from the last 2 movies and make it fit into this movie.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Rogue One and to a lesser extent Solo. I'm pretty optimistic about the Mandalorean and Kenobi.

Where Disney seems to be disappointing in my opinion (not in terms of box office results but in story telling) is the main saga. The Force Awakens seemed like an okay set up movie for the sequel trilogy (despite its obvious similarities to Ep. 4) until we got to TLJ and none of the set ups really went anywhere and the villains were made to look like incompetent buffoons. If it wasnt the (supposed) 2nd last movie in the saga and for all the lame humor attempts, I'd probably be more forgiving of TLJ.

All that being said, I'm cautiously optimistic that Rise of Skywalker will be the best movie of this trilogy. I think it could have some great moments but they won't be earned as much as they would have been had this trilogy been mapped out from the beginning instead of having different writers make stuff up as they go along. I'm interested to see how they use Princess Leia footage that was cut from the last 2 movies and make it fit into this movie.

Their biggest problem with the sequel trilogy is they punted a lot of that story telling to secondary sources (books, comics). You're missing out on a lot of the background story details that piece together the movies. Not all, but a good chunk of that stuff should have been in the movies. I know a lot of people shit on Lucas for doing "boring bureaucracy" type stuff in Episode 1 and 2, but he had the right idea (just needed better dialogue and writing). That same thing is needed here. They need to include more details in the movie about how we got from Return of the Jedi to Force Awakens, what the First Order actually is, the failures of the New Republic and how there's a need for the Resistance.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no interest in seeing Solo after watching the Last Jedi. That movie was awful. I grew up on Star Wars. Went to the movie theater as a kid to see the original. The first three were the best and nothing came close afterwords. My son wants to see the one coming out so I will be going to the theaters to see it.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Game Of Thrones' Showrunners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Exit Planned 'Star Wars' Trilogy

giphy.gif

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good riddance. They did an interview this past week where they straight up admitted they had no idea what the fuck they were doing with GoT. It's a miracle we even got a good show out of GoT. If they stuck with SW, it definitely would have been a disaster

They seemed like idiots from that interview.
Maybe there is now a backlash.

The Thrones prequel also got cancelled after filming the pilot episode.
Wonder if we'll ever get to see that.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting a lot of Dark Empire series vibes out of that new trailer.

:clap: