• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just saw it and like it a lot. Standard Star Wars plot but the characters they assembled were great from the droid to the Jedi master and his buddy and the special effects and action were very well done.

My biggest complaint?

Everyone dies. After all that work. What the hell is that all about?

I have the 180 of your spoiler.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it over the weekend and give it a rousing 3.5 out of 5 stars in the Banned 10x rating system.

The action scenes are fantastic and I thought the story line with Jyn's father was well done.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to ...

... nearly ever major character dying ...

... really liked it - much more realistic and in line with traditional war movies like The Dirty Dozen.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a reasonable argument for 5th, but 6th would mean that a Jar-Jar production finished ahead of it.

Uh, no.

Automatically no.

Jar-Jar = fail.

Jar Jar only made a brief cameo in Revenge of the Sith at Padme's funeral. I guess he kind of had to be there. But he had zero lines. I liked Rogue One better than Revenge of the Sith but I don't hate Revenge of the Sith. I put it in a separate class than the other 2 prequels.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jar Jar only made a brief cameo in Revenge of the Sith at Padme's funeral. I guess he kind of had to be there. But he had zero lines. I liked Rogue One better than Revenge of the Sith but I don't hate Revenge of the Sith. I put it in a separate class than the other 2 prequels.
This is pretty much were I sit.

Hope and Empire are in a class of their own. Jedi is good, but a cut below. Rogue One us too fresh to rank, but if I had to place it now, I would put it JUST below Jedi. Force is a clear remake of Hope, but it got the franchise back on track, and it was a good movie, regardless. Of the prequels, only Sith is even in the discussion as even a decent overall movie. Phantom and Clones, while they have decent aspects, are overall garbage and should only be viewed as historical reference, not as movies or entrants into the universe.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not imo. I enjoyed them. Just get over the acting.

Darth Maul scenes make ep1 worth it.

Clone battle at end of ep2 is good. I liked the Jango vs obi fight and Yoda vs dooku.

Ep3 is great. Epic battled between jedi and sith.

Yes there is many scenes in all 3 that are filler bs and the acting is atrocious but they are not unwatchable imo.

:)

They're okay movies, if you can get past the acting...

Hey, I can't argue with that.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings from Rotten Tomatoes

The Empire Strikes Back: 94
A New Hope: 93
The Force Awakens: 92
Rogue One: 85
Return of the Jedi: 80
Revenge of the Sith: 79
Attack of the Clones: 65
The Phantom Menace: 55

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I liked Rogue One better than any of the prequels! For some reason I grew to like "Attack of the Clones" if only for the arena battle at the end but those films generally stinkum heaping bad.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty much were I sit.

Hope and Empire are in a class of their own. Jedi is good, but a cut below. Rogue One us too fresh to rank, but if I had to place it now, I would put it JUST below Jedi. Force is a clear remake of Hope, but it got the franchise back on track, and it was a good movie, regardless. Of the prequels, only Sith is even in the discussion as even a decent overall movie. Phantom and Clones, while they have decent aspects, are overall garbage and should only be viewed as historical reference, not as movies or entrants into the universe.

Return of the Jedi really is great right up to the sled race in the woods. Then crash, burn.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings from Rotten Tomatoes

The Empire Strikes Back: 94
A New Hope: 93
The Force Awakens: 92
Rogue One: 85
Return of the Jedi: 80
Revenge of the Sith: 79
Attack of the Clones: 65
The Phantom Menace: 55
Force awakens is too high.

I'd put revenge of the sith above rogue one and Force awakens. The story of anakin turning to the darkside is too awesome to be that low.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Return of the Jedi really is great right up to the sled race in the woods. Then crash, burn.

The Endor stuff might have gone downhill after the race through the woods, but if you mean the entire movie then I have to disagree. I loved the throne room scenes with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. Also, the space battle for the 2nd Death Star was pretty cool and probably the best space battle of the franchise to date. For me though ROTJ (original version) has always been one of my favorites for The Emperor and the Jabba stuff. Vader's face turn and seeing him without his mask for the first time was pretty cool too.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Endor stuff might have gone downhill after the race through the woods, but if you mean the entire movie then I have to disagree. I loved the throne room scenes with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. Also, the space battle for the 2nd Death Star was pretty cool and probably the best space battle of the franchise to date. For me though ROTJ (original version) has always been one of my favorites for The Emperor and the Jabba stuff. Vader's face turn and seeing him without his mask for the first time was pretty cool too.

The Jabba sequence was great. and the final battle and the battle with the emperor was good too. Just hated the little fur-balls. Clearly FOR THE CHILDREN. I think I was tiring of the Luke can't do anything or he'll turn into Vadar line as well. it seemed very contrived. It hadn't stopped Jedi elsewhere from being aggressive. Even Luke was decapitating people left and right during the Jabba sequence. When you mean the original you mean without superimposing the New Darth Vader instead of original father? Right?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jabba sequence was great. and the final battle and the battle with the emperor was good too. Just hated the little fur-balls. Clearly FOR THE CHILDREN. I think I was tiring of the Luke can't do anything or he'll turn into Vadar line as well. it seemed very contrived. It hadn't stopped Jedi elsewhere from being aggressive. Even Luke was decapitating people left and right during the Jabba sequence. When you mean the original you mean without superimposing the New Darth Vader instead of original father? Right?

Yeah that, plus they really butchered some of the Jabba scenes in the opening act, especially the performance by the Max Rebo band. Plus I wasn't a fan of the change to the Sarlacc Pit either.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it. Great original story line.

Enjoyed it more than Force Awakens, which was too much a rehash of New Hope.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got a chance to see this one. Pretty damn good flick. The stuff with the blind asian dude felt like a little much but it was still better than The Force Awakens.

Seeing Darth Vader fuck those guys up was great. Haven't really seen Vader fight like that before in any of the previous films.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 60% of the movie is B- territory but the last act is as good as Star Wars has ever been.

Ultimately the movie suffers because you know the rebels get the plan and you know they built an even bigger death star that blows up many important things in force awakens.

So I'll give it a B+. And the whole movie could be a Futurama episode.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that, plus they really butchered some of the Jabba scenes in the opening act, especially the performance by the Max Rebo band. Plus I wasn't a fan of the change to the Sarlacc Pit either.

I didn't notice those.. Lucas clearly freaked out when he realized how many "impressionable" children loved Star Wars and felt pangs of ... Responsibility.

Sorry George.. Han did fire first. (Listen kids: When a ruthless bounty hunter is about to kill you, it is OK to fire first)

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got a chance to see this one. Pretty damn good flick. The stuff with the blind asian dude felt like a little much but it was still better than The Force Awakens.

Seeing Darth Vader fuck those guys up was great. Haven't really seen Vader fight like that before in any of the previous films.

i loved that guy but was trying to figure out how he fit into the whole movie.. Was he an actual Jedi? He must have been

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 60% of the movie is B- territory but the last act is as good as Star Wars has ever been.

Ultimately the movie suffers because you know the rebels get the plan and you know they built an even bigger death star that blows up many important things in force awakens.

So I'll give it a B+. And the whole movie could be a Futurama episode.

what i dont get though is in the original movies the Death Star is just being built and its not completed when its blown up. Is supposed to be a different one is this movie?