• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: New Jedi Order (2027)

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New movie in the Skywalker saga, set 15 years after The Rise of Skywalker, centered around Rey Palpatine Skywalker reforming the Jedi Order.

First reaction: Why? I don't dislike Rey as a character (she was too overpowered without any formal training, but I guess you could say the same about Anakin), but frankly her movies were really bad, and nobody wants to return to those.

They also made a very interesting choice with the director: Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, an activist Pakistani director known only for documentaries, with basically zero experience working in movies of this kind. I've never seen her documentaries and she's won two Oscars, but that kind of work does not translate into fantasy / sci fi blockbusters.

Star Wars isn't a franchise that's exactly thriving at the moment, so these decisions are baffling.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be wary and skeptical that this movie, or any of the other Star Wars movies in development, is even going to actually get made until production actually starts. In recent years, they've announced a lot of Star Wars movies in development, and then cancelled them. :noidea:

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be wary and skeptical that this movie, or any of the other Star Wars movies in development, is even going to actually get made until production actually starts. In recent years, they've announced a lot of Star Wars movies in development, and then cancelled them. :noidea:

True, and Kathleeen Kennedy is rumored to be on the way out after years of doing a very bad job running the company. It's weird that they made such a big announcement at this point.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya but I doubt this one gets cancelled. They aren't bringing back Rey and then shelving the project. I feel for sure this one and the Filoni led movie will get made. The one that James Mangold is doing about the first Jedi though...I have doubts.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New movie in the Skywalker saga, set 15 years after The Rise of Skywalker, centered around Rey Palpatine Skywalker reforming the Jedi Order.

First reaction: Why? I don't dislike Rey as a character (she was too overpowered without any formal training, but I guess you could say the same about Anakin), but frankly her movies were really bad, and nobody wants to return to those.

They also made a very interesting choice with the director: Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, an activist Pakistani director known only for documentaries, with basically zero experience working in movies of this kind. I've never seen her documentaries and she's won two Oscars, but that kind of work does not translate into fantasy / sci fi blockbusters.

Star Wars isn't a franchise that's exactly thriving at the moment, so these decisions are baffling.

I thought her character and story were the best parts of the second trilogy so I am very interested in her story and happy to see this. Yeah those movies weren't perfect and Disney made the Rise of Skywalker a 3 hour commercial but her story was still the most interesting to me even if they resurrected Palpatine to do it. Star Wars has already had a problem regurgitating old enemies, death stars etc.so I'm not sure why people are surprised.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought her character and story were the best parts of the second trilogy so I am very interested in her story and happy to see this. Yeah those movies weren't perfect and Disney made the Rise of Skywalker a 3 hour commercial but her story was still the most interesting to me even if they resurrected Palpatine to do it. Star Wars has already had a problem regurgitating old enemies, death stars etc.so I'm not sure why people are surprised.

TBH, I don't even remember the plot for the 3rd one, and only some of the 2nd. I watched them when they came out, but haven't watched them again, I only remember hating those movies. I was a big SW fan and those movies killed that, and now I haven't even seen most of the tv shows. Andor was good, I'll give them that.

I didn't dislike Rey (she was a bit of a Mary Sue, but she was likeable) and she might have been the best part of those terrible movies, but I'm just not interested in revisiting that story.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chinoy also directed Ms Marvel which was pretty good, so she might just have the chops.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finn was the best sequel character. Rey is utterly pointless unless they do an entire trilogy about her parents.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently this might come out in 2025

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star wars is dead, let it die.
people tide GIF

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finn was the best sequel character. Rey is utterly pointless unless they do an entire trilogy about her parents.
Rey training a new generation of Jedi is a good fit too

Finn was great in the first 2 movies. But they ruined him in the third grooming him for a sequel... imho

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey training a new generation of Jedi is a good fit too

Finn was great in the first 2 movies. But they ruined him in the third grooming him for a sequel... imho

I think Finn was great in the first movie and had a lot of potential. In the second movie it seemed like they didn't know what to do with him, so they assiged him to that dumb and pointless McGuffin hunting mission.

In the end, the movies sucked but it was not because of the characters. Rey, Finn, Poe could have been great characters, but the plots and writing destroyed them, and left a very sour taste on everyone's mouths. The good thing is that they will release a couple of unrelated movies before Rey's new one, so I hope they can gain back some good will.

As a parallel: Game of Thrones destroyed fans' goodwill in similar fashion. I'm glad that they didn't return with Jon Snow's new series but with a different show with new characters. Now that this show won fans back, I think they could do Jon Snow.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jedi are gone - now they're back! - now they're gone... now they're back!