• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So how much money should we offer Aaron Judge?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cazic disappeared from the Disney board before the migration over here. I barely remember him during my time there. I want to say he left within a year of my appearance. I have that effect.
You showed up about a year or so before we all came here.

On a completely unrelated note, you ever notice how some people never get the hint? Interesting…

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You showed up about a year or so before we all came here.

On a completely unrelated note, you ever notice how some people never get the hint? Interesting…
:hmm:
Wow, I never realized that before! I cannot believe I've missed it all this time . . . we've gotten off topic on this thread.

:tj:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NN had several handles, Cazic being one of them. All Along the Watchtower was one as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NN had several handles, Cazic being one of them. All Along the Watchtower was one as well.
Can was NN? I never knew that.

Are you sure? That was at my very early stages of posting there. I started really posting regularly around the time of the ‘07 draft. I had been casually lurking there for a few years at that time, though, so I viewed the HFs and they exodus, but didn’t have a lot of interaction with them until I posted a bit at runboard (the HF’s SportHoopla).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can was NN? I never knew that.

Are you sure? That was at my very early stages of posting there. I started really posting regularly around the time of the ‘07 draft. I had been casually lurking there for a few years at that time, though, so I viewed the HFs and they exodus, but didn’t have a lot of interaction with them until I posted a bit at runboard (the HF’s SportHoopla).
Pretty sure. I could be wrong and Cazic was another useless turd though.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants are planning to sit down with the market’s top free agent this week, as Jon Morosi of MLB.com tweets they’re expected to meet with Aaron Judge. Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports the parties have a sit-down scheduled for tomorrow (on Twitter).

It’s notable but entirely unsurprising to see the Giants in the market for Judge. They’ve long been speculated as perhaps the top threat to the Yankees for the reigning AL MVP’s services. That’s both a reflection of the slugger’s ties to Northern California and, more importantly, to the abundance of financial breathing room at the Giants’ disposal. As MLBTR’s Darragh McDonald explored this afternoon, the Giants are as well-positioned as any team to make a major splash on the open market.

San Francisco’s 2023 payroll commitments are presently estimated around $133MM, per Roster Resource. They’ve opened seasons with player spending upwards of $200MM in previous seasons, and while those heights were reached before the pandemic, they’re still well shy of last year’s $155MM Opening Day figure. The long-term books are almost bare, with just over $20MM in guaranteed commitments for 2024. By 2025, the club has only a $3.5MM player option for Wilmer Flores on the ledger. In that context, it’s easy to understand president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi declaring at the GM Meetings earlier this month that “from a financial standpoint, there would be nobody that would be out of our capability.”

That includes Judge, who’s expected to land the largest deal of the offseason. He set the AL home run record with 62 home runs and hit .311/.425/.686 through 157 games. It’d have been nearly impossible to draw up a better platform season, and while Judge certainly can’t be expected to replicate that kind of production, he’s now a career .284/.394/.583 hitter in over 3000 MLB plate appearances. Few players are more imposing offensive forces. Judge also typically rates as an above-average defensive right fielder and played reasonably well over 632 2/3 innings of center field work for the Yankees this past season. He’d probably be a better fit for the corner in spacious Oracle Park, but his play in right field would upgrade an outfield defense that was among the league’s worst this year.

MLBTR predicts Judge to land an eight-year deal worth $332MM; the $41.5MM average annual value would rank second all-time, while it’d be the largest overall guarantee for a free agent in history. While the Yankees and Giants are generally perceived as the favorites in the bidding, he’s also been linked to the Dodgers. Feinsand first reported last month that L.A. was considering the possibility of jumping into the Judge market while contemplating kicking Mookie Betts into second base. Jon Heyman of the New York Post reiterated the Dodgers’ interest last week.

Of course, there are myriad possibilities for the Giants (and other big-spending teams) beyond Judge. San Francisco has also been connected to the top free agent shortstops available — Trea Turner, Carlos Correa, Dansby Swanson and Xander Bogaerts — as well as center fielder Brandon Nimmo. San Francisco also has needs in the bullpen and could look to make a splash at the top of the rotation. There are a number of avenues for Zaidi and his front office to explore, starting at the very top of free agency.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge-ment Day?

Unlikely any final decisions will be made, of course.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it makes too much difference what we offer. The Yanks will match it and keep Judge.

which, in the end, will be a good thing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly NolanNonsense changed his name here to Cazic or something like that
He's Montalban now. Still posts on the political forum, usually in an overtly racist way

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it makes too much difference what we offer. The Yanks will match it and keep Judge.

I believe that if the Yanks and the Giants offer essentially the same package, he will sign here.

My gut tells me that if the offers are similar enough, his family considerations will be the tie-breaker, and that will favor us.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that if the Yanks and the Giants offer essentially the same package, he will sign here.

My gut tells me that if the offers are similar enough, his family considerations will be the tie-breaker, and that will favor us.
I don’t know if that is the case. He isn’t a child who needs to have his hand held by his mommy. He is an adult moving forward with his own career. And being a Yankee offers more to a legacy and to a post-playing career than being a Giant.

Given essentially equal offers, imho, he stays with the Spanks.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Free-agent outfielder Aaron Judge reportedly had a positive meeting with the San Francisco Giants on Tuesday.

MLB Network's Jon Morosi said Wednesday that Judge had multiple meetings with the Giants that went up to the ownership level, and Morosi characterized them as "very productive."

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m getting a pretty good vibe about the meeting. The Giants seemed to want to make a great impression with Judge and get him back home.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been following this free agent period more than I have in the past. Probably because I think the Giants are actually gonna dive in rather then dip their toe in to test the waters. Heard the Dodgers made an offer but Judge turned it down. Heard a monetary number but not a duration.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading today that Steph Curry has made efforts to recruit Judge to the Bay.

Maybe this thing is really happening?
r1063801_1296x729_16-9.jpg

"Son, we play baseball in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be have to be hit over, hit high and hit deep, by men with bats. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Joey Bart? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Longoria, and you curse the front office. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Longoria's release, while tragic, probably saved salary cap; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, sells tickets.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to hit over that wall -- you need me to hit over that wall.

We use words like "homer," "OPS," "RBI's." We use these words as the backbone of a life scoring runs. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who comes and watches games in the very stadium I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and stand in the box. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think we should spend our salary cap on!"