• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So how much money should we offer Aaron Judge?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people would say the same about San Francisco as well. And Stockton is no gem either. It has a reputation as being one of the most crime ridden cities in the Central Valley of California (stretching from just south of Bakersfield up to Redding and including Sacramento). If a safe place to raise his family is big on his mind, I have to wonder if he stays away from California teams. This from a lifelong California resident. Don't get me wrong, there are safe spots but I'm going off of what I've seen and heard about different places around the state.
All valid points. Yeah, I know SF is not exactly a safe haven, and Stockton itself is a pit, like most cities have become. I'm not sure any MLB city qualifies as family friendly anymore. But most suburbs are OK. The question is how accessible are they to MLB stadiums.

But as they say, "it's the devil you know versus the devil you don't".

I'm sure he's still a Giants fan. That will never go away, and will never be replaced. I still think we have an advantage.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We may pick up Rizzo and Trea Turner, too, per the writer:

"Miller says that a combination of money, Judge’s desire to go back home and a fractured relationship with the Yankees have all signs pointing toward the Bay Area.​
“[The Giants] are definitely going after him,” Miller began on KNBR. “They are going to get a second and maybe a third guy to entice him.​
“I think there’s some rifts in the [Yankees] organization. I think the Giants will overbid for him, I don’t think the Yankees will. Aaron Judge was booed in two of the home playoff games this year. That didn’t sit well with his family. Judge was not happy that Joey Gallo, Aaron Hicks were crushed by fans this year.​
“He’s very, very loyal, it’s going to be tough to leave his friends in the organization. That said, he’s very loyal to his mother, his wife, they still live in Linden [,CA]. He grew up a Giants fan, he was a huge Rich Aurilia fan. He lived through the Bonds days. I think he’s ready to come home, I think he will come home. I think the Giants will give him the best offer. I think the Giants will sign another guy — maybe Trea Turner — and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Giants also bring Anthony Rizzo with him.”​
Go big or go home. All in, baby.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Spotrac, for 2023, we are at appx $140mm, including Rodon and all arb and pre-arb salaries. That also includes picking up Longo at $13mm.

The pre-tax max salary total for 2023 is $233mm.

Assuming Rodon's $22.5mm is either paid to him if he stays, or goes to some combination of other FA's, that still leaves, theoretically, appx $93mm for other FA's, assuming the FO chooses to spend it all. We've done it before.

Ballparking AAVs, as it were:

$45mm for Judge (8/360)
$33mm for Turner (7/230)
$17mm for Rizzo (2/34)

That's $95mm for that trio, putting us $2mm over. I would be surprised if the FO didn't try to make this happen.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Spotrac, for 2023, we are at appx $140mm, including Rodon and all arb and pre-arb salaries. That also includes picking up Longo at $13mm.

The pre-tax max salary total for 2023 is $233mm.

Assuming Rodon's $22.5mm is either paid to him if he stays, or goes to some combination of other FA's, that still leaves, theoretically, appx $93mm for other FA's, assuming the FO chooses to spend it all. We've done it before.

Ballparking AAVs, as it were:

$45mm for Judge (8/360)
$33mm for Turner (7/230)
$17mm for Rizzo (2/34)

That's $95mm for that trio, putting us $2mm over. I would be surprised if the FO didn't try to make this happen.
That is some star power but the rotation and bullpen still need work. I'm not sure all three land in SF.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is some star power but the rotation and bullpen still need work. I'm not sure all three land in SF.
Agreed. I was going by the speculation in the Yankee beat writer's article. Trea Turner may not be out highest priority.

Take out Turner, Rodon, and don't take the Longo option, and that leaves about $63mm to solve the pitching issues.

It might take some other FA signings first to convince Judge we are serious about winning.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I was going by the speculation in the Yankee beat writer's article. Trea Turner may not be out highest priority.

Take out Turner, Rodon, and don't take the Longo option, and that leaves about $63mm to solve the pitching issues.

It might take some other FA signings first to convince Judge we are serious about winning.
He isn't (currently) represented by Scott Boras so he won't be waiting to sign until early in spring training but I'd be surprised if he signs a new contract before January.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't (currently) represented by Scott Boras so he won't be waiting to sign until early in spring training but I'd be surprised if he signs a new contract before January.
That could well be. My gut tells me that his personal/family factors may be driving his decision as much or more than any other factors.

If so, I think he will decide sooner rather than later. Family will want him to get out of NY ASAP. Just my opinion, and it's pure speculation. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see him sign with us on Nov 6, the first day available.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey all, i sat out most of this season with an occasional visit to Oracle in the nosebleed section on nice days.

anyhoo.... here's my 2cents

Judge by him self won't get the Giants into serious contention. Sure, fun as a fan draw but the team needs to be rebuilt. Suck it up, spend on prospects and hope we can re-create core young talent for the next decade.

Unless we're willing to go full San Diego and grab up multiple high profile contracts to win NOW, we should concentrate on getting blue chips locked in. We need 4-6 legit All-Star candidates targeted for '25-'26. Start that now and don't take any contracts in the meantime that defers that

I'll still keep going to the sunny days nose bleeds regardless of whether Judge suits up the Orange and Black.

JMO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All valid points. Yeah, I know SF is not exactly a safe haven, and Stockton itself is a pit, like most cities have become. I'm not sure any MLB city qualifies as family friendly anymore. But most suburbs are OK. The question is how accessible are they to MLB stadiums.

But as they say, "it's the devil you know versus the devil you don't".

I'm sure he's still a Giants fan. That will never go away, and will never be replaced. I still think we have an advantage.
Seriously guys, you have the unimaginable jack he has and they're living behind closed gates with chauffeurs and facilitators. No way they are wading into the Tenderloin or any-other marginal district regardless of the city. It'll be a 'burbs' compound regardless of the city. Could be Detroit or 'pick your own safe have', it really doesn't matter. Kids will go elite schools, shopping will be done by 'shoppers', restaurants will be reserved by the room. Maybe Pence was an exception (we saw him out and about on multiple occasions, and tbh Bonds was very accessible at his relative's restaurant in Foster CIty), but these guys live in a strata bubble not understandable by us. It's ultimately all about the scoots and they'll choose accordingly. Maybe some hometown sediment, but choosing a team by it's family friendliness is not a factor. OTOH being close to relatives can be influential

jmo

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey all, i sat out most of this season with an occasional visit to Oracle in the nosebleed section on nice days.

anyhoo.... here's my 2cents

Judge by him self won't get the Giants into serious contention. Sure, fun as a fan draw but the team needs to be rebuilt. Suck it up, spend on prospects and hope we can re-create core young talent for the next decade.

Unless we're willing to go full San Diego and grab up multiple high profile contracts to win NOW, we should concentrate on getting blue chips locked in. We need 4-6 legit All-Star candidates targeted for '25-'26. Start that now and don't take any contracts in the meantime that defers that

I'll still keep going to the sunny days nose bleeds regardless of whether Judge suits up the Orange and Black.

JMO
I think the plan is more along the lines of what the doggies did. Buy up FAs, but look HARD for the diamonds to play next to the expensive guys. Trade from the farm, but have the farm deep enough to be able to withstand those painful trades.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the plan is more along the lines of what the doggies did. Buy up FAs, but look HARD for the diamonds to play next to the expensive guys. Trade from the farm, but have the farm deep enough to be able to withstand those painful trades.
correct me if i'm wrong, but the giants are very loyal to their vets, even when they are on the downside with a big salary. the doyers jetison at the first chance to move onto something new

point is, unless the giants change their ways, there won't be room on the field or roster to make wholesale changes to the team make-up

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct me if i'm wrong, but the giants are very loyal to their vets, even when they are on the downside with a big salary. the doyers jetison at the first chance to move onto something new

point is, unless the giants change their ways, there won't be room on the field or roster to make wholesale changes to the team make-up
I like that about the giants historically. But NOTHING about this new regime shows that is how they operate. This regime has zero loyalty.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this formal or just a known fact? I checked out this year and really haven't followed the comings and goings

Too bad he didn't go out like Posey, on a high after the '21 season.

Thx!
He is a full FA. I suspect the only chance he comes back would be on a minor league deal, and I don’t think he signs a minor league deal with the Giants. I think the Rangers are probably a fit, though. I think he was a Rangers fan as a kid, and Bochy is there now. I haven’t looked at their roster, though. I don’t know if they have any room for a 1B, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a full FA. I suspect the only chance he comes back would be on a minor league deal, and I don’t think he signs a minor league deal with the Giants. I think the Rangers are probably a fit, though. I think he was a Rangers fan as a kid, and Bochy is there now. I haven’t looked at their roster, though. I don’t know if they have any room for a 1B, though.
Not sure that would be a good landing spot for him. Nathaniel Lowe had a breakout year at 1st base so I doubt he gets playing time there. However, the guy with most DH games was Mitch Garver so he could conceivably get playing time there. However, the team seemed content to put guys there in a rotating basis and Belt is coming off a down year offensively. It feels like an awkward fit. I doubt he would land there (unless the Rangers decide to trade Lowe while his value is high).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously guys, you have the unimaginable jack he has and they're living behind closed gates with chauffeurs and facilitators. No way they are wading into the Tenderloin or any-other marginal district regardless of the city. It'll be a 'burbs' compound regardless of the city. Could be Detroit or 'pick your own safe have', it really doesn't matter. Kids will go elite schools, shopping will be done by 'shoppers', restaurants will be reserved by the room. Maybe Pence was an exception (we saw him out and about on multiple occasions, and tbh Bonds was very accessible at his relative's restaurant in Foster CIty), but these guys live in a strata bubble not understandable by us. It's ultimately all about the scoots and they'll choose accordingly. Maybe some hometown sediment, but choosing a team by it's family friendliness is not a factor. OTOH being close to relatives can be influential

jmo
Sediment? You have dirt on Judge?

Just don't put him on a peddle stool.